Fujitsu Amilo Xi2528 service manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fujitsu Amilo Xi2528 service manual

Ok, a close friends ask me how to recover from this laptop the entire hdd database for his wife who has a counting house. I found that this is an old but versatile laptop for this type of business.
    From the start of the diagnosis I noticed no video on the screen. Connecting to external display displays an image with many missing image squares but also slightly blurred.
    I disassembled it, checked the T5750 and 8600M GPU thermal conductor paste (GPU uses an infamous owner-mount system that does not allow replacement with any other board). I was not surprised to notice that the exhaust fan is not spinning. The test on the molex plug with direct adapter on an protected ATX PSU showed me that the fan is faulty. Probably his malfunction has led to overheating of both GPU and CPU.
    Because his desire is to bring him back to life, I started with the GPU, the essential piece. And so I did my first reflow . About 8 minutes at 250 degrees celsius, after watching a few fixed tutorials for this problem.
    Because the laptop can upgrade to multiple components: cpu, memory, 2xhdd / ssd, I'm interested in a service manual both to identify the features of the parts and their compatibility. As shown in the picture, there are several m.2 ports and I do not know what they can accommodate.
    Any other idea would be welcome .
    Attached Files

Re: Fujitsu Amilo Xi2528 service manual

8600M is a defective GPU. A reflow isn't a proper way to fix it, it must be replaced by the fixed revision. Heating it up will make it work for a while but it won't last. There's no point in doing a reflow as the issue is not related to the solder balls between the GPU substrate and the PCB. You just need to heat up the die to 200°C for a couple of minutes with hot air, or in an oven at 200°C for about 8 minutes.

Anyway, don't invest in this laptop, it's very old and it will stay that way, and unless you replace the GPU with a fixed revision it could die at anytime.

Also a laptop that is 10 years old doesn't have M.2 ports. This is mini-PCIe, you can't put an SSD in there. The HDD can be replaced by a 2.5" SSD though.
    I'd think the chipset is a G/PM965, so you can put 667/800Mhz FSB CPU only in there, Merom socket P mainly. If you are lucky, a few Penryn 800Mhz may be supported (but only way to know is to try), especially T9300/T9500.
    About the RAM, it will work with 2x2GB (but you obviously need a 64bit OS, laptop should work fine even with Windows 10 64bit btw), sometimes 2x4GB may be supported (but again, only way to know is to try).

Honestly, you're better off buying a second-hand laptop at this point.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I do not know where my mind was when I wrote M.2 . It was obvious that in the Core2Duo era, the standard was not even thought .
      The chipset is an Intel PM965 (Crestline-PM) + ICH8M. Max memory is 2x2GB=4GB but I cant identify the location of the second memory slot without complete disassembled it. The graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS (G86M). I read here about the bumpgate, specific to these gpu families from nVidia, but I have no choice because of the specific slot. I have not met the 4GB DDR2 sodimm bank so far and 4GB is enough for this level.
      If the memory and SSD upgrade is done already, the CPU are cheap enough. The main issue is the fan anssamble, too expensive even on ebay/aliexpress, exceeds the others, cumulated.

Comment

2nd RAM slot is may be on the other side of the motherboard, under the keyboard. You probably need to remove the bottom part of the chassis to extract the motherboard.

I've got a Fujitsu Pi 2530 with a dead graphics card as well, been sitting on a shelf for a few years… This has an ATi GPU though. The motherboard is very similar to yours I think, but the fan doesn't look the same unfortunately.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I found something , very cheap, but I'm not sure how reliable it will be, though.

Comment

After reflowing the gpu and installing another cooler for the exaust, I also got a laptop cooler and it all works fine.
            Case closed.

Comment

Working...
            X