Ever mod a wireless adapter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever mod a wireless adapter?

I have a old compex iwaveport WLU11A usb adapter like this one on geeks. I'd like to add a pigtail with a sma connector or what ever i can find local to it so i can try different antennas.

I was wondering if it would work since it has 2 antennas? I'm not even sure which i would omit but i'm guessing teh dipole. I can post pics of the board if that helps.

Re: Ever mod a wireless adapter?

I have one of those, at least looks the same.

The plastic antenna you see externally is just a plastic case with a short length of coax for antenna, i would jack in there, would probably be easiest. With some glue and tinkering you might even be able to fit the SMA connector where the antenna used to be.

http://www.zonetusa.com/products-214.aspx
    This is the one i have btw, i would think its the same as the one i have. It has a ralink chip.

Comment

Sounds like it has a different chip and possibly board but same antennna. This one uses an Atmel AT76C505A chip.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm so confused... to move to networking, or to mods?
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

If you read the descriptions of the topics 'mods' specifies motherboards.

Of course they are really talking about antennas so you could just leave it here too.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I cracked the little antenna apart and it's actually a 2 sided board antenna. What is the purpose for 2 antennas?

Has anyone tried one of those 1w alfa awus036h or knockoffs? I notice they already have a sma.

Comment

The purpose of two antennas is diversity, the antennas are usually oriented different and the adapter switch between them for best possible signal.

If you want an usb adapter with external antenna jack look at edimax, i got one of those but not a model currently sold. I dont know if they are super good tbh, havnt used it much.

Comment

Working...
              X