Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro - Need Suggestions!

New member here

I found this form thanks to a member from another forum that posts link to this one often I'm not sure how active is he here, but it seems he lurks this forum very often!

I'm an IT person (I work as a service desk person), and have a side business on computers and networks. I became very confident at what I do, so I thought it's about time I go deeper into certain subjects. One thing I'd like to improve on (well, more like start on) is troubleshooting electronics.

This forum seems to have lots of knowledgeable and experienced people, so I hope I'm on the right forum! I could notice some interesting threads in the FAQ section that I think would help a lot if I get to find the time and read them.

In the meantime, I'd like to know what is the best way to start this? I have tried reading schematics of laptop boards, but I'm always stuck... this is a clear sign that I need to learn more! In fact, I was thinking of going through all this:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/

I will also start opening threads on troubleshooting motherboards I have, hoping that it will give me some hands on experience while going through theory.

So what would your suggestions be?

Re: Intro - Need Suggestions!

I would suggest you buy gold, but my psychic sense says that's not what you meant.

Perhaps you should use the search function for the motherboards you have and see if someones already had your problem? Even similar boards will help. When I'm troubleshooting I search the boards for problems since all electronics works about the same.
    sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Haha, thanks

Yeah tried that already, and I could fine like a dozen of threads about a particular motherboard... nothing that seems to be related to what I was looking after however. Posted this in the Troubleshooting Laptops sub-forum.

Thanks again for the hint!

Comment

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago DanFen. 15+ years in IT support but wanting to repair rather than replace.
        I'd done DC jacks and screens etc. I started with monitors then TVs, bought kit, practised, posted, read, practised, killed some stuff, read more, posted more, started fixing without posting, bought more kit, more practising...rinse and repeat.

It's not an overnight thing, especially not coming from a technical electronic engineering background unlike a few of the wizards on here.
        Hang around, read loads of posts, post some, it sinks in eventually.

Comment

Thanks for the post.

The I am in the same position as you were 15 years ago... I can do DC jacks, and the other stuff. Now I'm moving into the more in depth repairs. I'm not expecting this to be overnight... took me a couple of years till I was fully confident with the IT support stuff, so I'm expecting this to be more or less the same. Most importantly, I seem to like it even though I don't come from an engineering background. You can appreciate more knowing what's going on at hardware level.

Pretty sure I'll bug you a few or more times

Originally posted by diif View Post
          I was in a similar position a couple of years ago DanFen. 15+ years in IT support but wanting to repair rather than replace.
          I'd done DC jacks and screens etc. I started with monitors then TVs, bought kit, practised, posted, read, practised, killed some stuff, read more, posted more, started fixing without posting, bought more kit, more practising...rinse and repeat.

It's not an overnight thing, especially not coming from a technical electronic engineering background unlike a few of the wizards on here.
          Hang around, read loads of posts, post some, it sinks in eventually.

Comment

Working...
          X