This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

If you have a cap checker, you should see how big those primaries really are. I'd bet either 330 or 470 uF.

Comment

I can check them tomorrow. You may be right, I would want to see how heavy they are before I guess

Comment

Would you mind seeing what kind of chip U2 is? I could not make it out in the pictures.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
          Would you mind seeing what kind of chip U2 is? I could not make it out in the pictures.

Thanks!
          Yeah no problem it says JD3310D with 12M02 date code

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
            I refuse to put any Leadman unit in the build quality pictoral so I'm putting it here Although it isn't as bad as some...It has what I think are fake 1000uF NCC KMG input caps. It only has one part on the primary heatsink and it is an ST W12NK90Z MOSFET rated at 11A 900V, how many watts would this thing be good for? The secondary has a 40A schottky for 12V and 30A for 3.3V and 5V. On the 12V filtering it only has a 1500uF 25V cap

Is this a two transistor forward design? Would this thing have ridiculous ripple?
            STW12NK90Z is a decent MOSFET that I've seen used in Delta 350W and Hipro 400W power supplies, and that means it's single switch forward... I don't know if it would do such a rating in spec with such poor output filtering, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
              STW12NK90Z is a decent MOSFET that I've seen used in Delta 350W and Hipro 400W power supplies, and that means it's single switch forward... I don't know if it would do such a rating in spec with such poor output filtering, though.
              Oh nice, that's good it has a decent enough heatsink too. I don't think the 12V ripple would be in spec either. I could increase it to 3300uF but it'd still be pretty high I'm sure....Wish there was a spot for an inductor, looks like there's only one on the 5V

Comment

This is a leadman copy of a design from an extremely obscure chinese brand, KKpower. KKpower surprisingly made a decent power supply and leadman copied it, completely screwing it up. Unsurprisingly of course.

http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/ar...50-RSTD/1951/2

There is the review of the 550W version of the KKpower unit (a KK9966D) and it does it quite well, except for a few hiccups at the full load test. KKpower also made a 680W version that did a full 680W no problem.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ol+power+gamer

That is the leadman version of it.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/...3#.UZI327XrwTY

And here is an actual review of it. As you can see leadman's unit fell on it's face.

Comment

Of course they screwed it up Thank you for those links. It actually did a decent amount of power but I can only imagine how high the ripple was. The original looks much better

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    Yeah no problem it says JD3310D with 12M02 date code
                    This chip looks like it is for the 5vsb, but I could not find much information on it.

http://www.jdsemi.cn/en/search.asp?k...imageField.y=0

Thanks for replying with the information.

Comment

Good find, I couldn't find practically anything on it! It must be a fairly new part

Comment

Ahh, 820's...you're almost there Leadman! The picture doesn't do it justice but the sleeve and paint look extremely cheap
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well, still in +-20 % tolerance And don't forget these ESR meters are not really precise in measuring these big caps. It uses only small voltage (as being powered by CR2032 cells, usually), fraction od the caps nominal.
                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

But being almost brand new and so close to 820uF I figured it's probably fake And this one uses a single 12V Alkaline battery
                            Last edited by Pentium4; 05-14-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

They could've at least picked a series name that actually *IS* in a snap-in can...
                              Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Big electrolytic capacitor is not affected by test voltage.
                                Only ceramic capacitors and some tantalum capacitors are.

I have found many in-spec 200V & 400V caps (from Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic, CapXon, Samxon etc.) But in almost all power supplies I see, at least cheap models, the primaries are fake and mislabelled.
                                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yeah but sometiems even quality ones are out of spec (or on the bottom of tolerance). Also it may be that many of the biggies do not quite really like over 10 kHz frequency. Don't the meters use higher freq?
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Khron666 View Post
                                    They could've at least picked a series name that actually *IS* in a snap-in can...
                                    I know I guess they figure no one will notice
                                    Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                    Big electrolytic capacitor is not affected by test voltage.
                                    Only ceramic capacitors and some tantalum capacitors are.

I have found many in-spec 200V & 400V caps (from Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic, CapXon, Samxon etc.) But in almost all power supplies I see, at least cheap models, the primaries are fake and mislabelled.
                                    Oh good to know! I wonder what brand these caps actually are, might be worth dissecting. Should I attempt at making this PSU usable or scrap it for parts?
                                    Last edited by Pentium4; 05-14-2013, 06:06 PM. Reason: typo...

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      Yeah but sometiems even quality ones are out of spec (or on the bottom of tolerance). Also it may be that many of the biggies do not quite really like over 10 kHz frequency. Don't the meters use higher freq?
                                      The capacitance is measured by integrating charge into it and takes several seconds to do so, the test frequency is under 1Hz for all but single-digit uF caps.

The ESR is measured at 100kHz but that is not the important factor here.

Yes whilst capacitors are rated +/-20% it is rare to see a quality brand depart from +/-10%. These are definitely remarked 820s in my opinion, perhaps to fool PSU review websites? The manufacturers are learning...
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Another one of these "SH" PSU's. I find it strange that I've seen 3 of these and all 3 were from different OEM's. I'm not 100% sure who this is...It looks like an old beefed up Deer unit, but it seems unlikely they would use Teapo and Jamicon. It has some nice Fuji Electric 2SC2625 10A switchers. This thing died powering an old P4 server...Surprised it lasted 8 years. It has a ball bearing ADDA fan
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Late 2003 built. TI TL494 PWM. Several lytics that are "preggers". I'd credit it as good for 250W-300W continuous, depending on the fan airflow. In P/Ss, heavy metal is goodness!
                                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X