board versioning: tnpa5351...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

board versioning: tnpa5351...

I have been banging around trying to fix a tcp50s30 which had a shorted SC board (at least). Short story, looking at possible replacement boards.

Shopjimmy on lists an "AM" version" with no reference to others. However, at a high level (picture), there are ones listed as "AF" and "AJ" along with some that have no labelled "version" (ie. blank)... these boards look alike. There is also same tnpa5351's that are "AQ" and "AS". At a "high level", these boards have components differences in terms of layout and things like heat sinks.

I have read thru a few older posts on versioning but there didn't seem to be any "rules" identified that would says "yea" or "nay" for certain versions to sets, beit display size, features and age/newness.

Hence, the question is: having the "base number" match, will any "version" work or is there more to this than meets the "eye"?

Re: board versioning: tnpa5351...

I obtained a tnpa5351 AF (seller says its also an AJ board but there isn't any indications on the board to show that). Seller says its the same board as tnpa5351 AM which is my board.

I looked at the two boards and can see differences in some SMD capacitors... basically in the AM board, there are some SMD capacitors in some places "bridging" to the VFG at the top of the board for the "ground / common plane" of the drive components there and a capacitor "bridging" "common plane" of the two diode "packes" at the bottom of the board (the group of drives the usually short / blow). There is also a missing "upright capacitor" near the main inductor on the input / MID power area. This capacitor actually seems open circuit on my board as an impedance measurement (resistance scale) shows a high resistance (94k ohm) which does not change (ie. no charging).

I haven't tried the replacement board in the set yet as I am afraid that it might not "last" because it may not be compatible with the set and I don't want TWO blown boards... :-)

One other thing that I noticed, is none of the "missing" components (ie. smd capacitors cc642, c643, c644, c402 / thru hole capacitor c907) are listed in the parts section for this set.

Attached are pictures of the two boards with the focus on the areas of interest identified.
    Anyone have any suggestions / comments as to whether my fears about the version are over blown or otherwise???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by budwich; 11-13-2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X