No announcement yet.

Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 benefits - Are there any?

Windows 10 performs very nicely,I found it to be faster than both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on my system.

Windows 10 is more efficient at using CPU cycles i heard,And thats why in games that use alot of CPU like for example Battlefield 4,Battlefield 4 performs alot better under Windows 10 and you get more Fps compared to windows 7 or 8.1.

However,Under the hood changes were very positive but there's also a lot of things i despise about windows 10.

1.The Start menu..still they did not give us the full return of Windows 7 start menu like a very large majority of windows users wanted..sure its better than Window 8/8.1 start menu but still not what users asked for.

2.Privacy concerns,The amount of Spying Microsoft do on us now is unbelievable,And its turned on by default,Even if you disable if..when windows updates it can be activated again without you knowing..i think they have also ported this privacy invasion updates to windows 8 and 7 too.

3.Windows update,It does it automatic without consulting you at all...not good Microsoft.

Dont get me wrong,I like windows 10,But there's a lot of things dont like about it..if i was not a gamer,I would have moved to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      So just have a button on the mobile version that says Switch to normal view, and that's all. If your phone can't handle it, have a button to switch back again.
      There is also the option to force the desktop version in most mobile browsers.

Originally posted by Ascaris View Post
      All that extra code to go from the relatively bare-bones mobile version to the full desktop version has to come from somewhere. If one app package contains all of that code, but only enables it on devices that are able to make good use of it, then you will end up with an app package that is far larger than it needs to be for the phone user-- who is the one with the most limited internal storage. If the additional modules are downloaded as necessary for higher-powered machines, then it's starting to look again like two separate versions for two different devices.
      It's not extra code, it's different code due to the different platforms.

I use my desktop version of FF very differently to my mobile although i can run the same security and privacy addons. I don't need identical only similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevakonaza View Post
        3.Windows update,It does it automatic without consulting you at all...not good Microsoft.
        That's the best thing about Windows 10.
        Especially for those 'wannabe Pros', who think they know it all but know nothing...

I wish I could activate automatic updates under Linux Mint as well...

There are actually very very very few people out there who really know the pros and cons about all those updates.

For about 95% of the user, the automatic updates is what's best for everyone...

Even some security experts from the Chaos Computer Club demanded automatic updates because your grandma can't know if the update is good or not...
        (c) by Ron & Frank, 31C3 Security Nightmares...
        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevakonaza View Post

Windows update,It does it automatic without consulting you at all...not good Microsoft.

Dont get me wrong,I like windows 10,But there's a lot of things dont like about it..if i was not a gamer,I would have moved to Linux.
          That's the major annoyance of Windows 10, it by default assumes the user is a n00b!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
            That's the best thing about Windows 10.
            Especially for those 'wannabe Pros', who think they know it all but know nothing...

I wish I could activate automatic updates under Linux Mint as well...

There are actually very very very few people out there who really know the pros and cons about all those updates.

For about 95% of the user, the automatic updates is what's best for everyone...

Even some security experts from the Chaos Computer Club demanded automatic updates because your grandma can't know if the update is good or not...
            (c) by Ron & Frank, 31C3 Security Nightmares...
            Another Microshaft schill we have here I see.

Comment

automatic updates = break my system while i'm not looking, so i dont know what happened!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                automatic updates = break my system while i'm not looking, so i dont know what happened!
                +1
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

+1

Especially true for driver updates.

Comment

Hmmm...unlike previous Windows releases, W10's disposition doesn't seem to be improving. I didn't like W7 at all upon release, it was a flaky turd....but after SP1, W7 rapidly became the shining jewel, and I quit badmouthing it. XP was the Golden Jewel, 7 never surpassed it IMO, but it came in a close second. W10 stumbled out of the starting gate, and keeps tripping over its own feet along the way. Bad sign.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      I didn't like W7 at all upon release, it was a flaky turd....but after SP1, W7 rapidly became the shining jewel, and I quit badmouthing it.
                      Sounds just like Vista! With Vista SP0, file copying would stutter and with service packs, Vista now works about as well!

Ironically, Vista SP2 is the only post-XP Windows that was found to actually at default have zero errors in the event log!

7 SP1 always has a stupid error in the event log and appears to be permissions F-ed up by Microsoft themselves!

Windows 8.1 has an issue with a Windows Store error:

Code:
                      Windows Store failed to sync machine licenses. Result code 0x80070002
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-28-2016, 12:06 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Hmmm...unlike previous Windows releases, W10's disposition doesn't seem to be improving.
                        When I tested Windows 10 final, I saw an error, if not several errors in the event log on a clean install!

An error that can't be blamed on anyone but Microsoft themselves!
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                          Ironically, Vista SP2 is the only post-XP Windows that was found to actually at default have zero errors in the event log!
                          Vista after SP2 actually functions very nice.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Vista wasn't bad at all, just released too soon...
                            A couple of months more and it could have been great...

Still, the HDD consumption was very inflationary...

With XP you could install on a 4GB partition/Harddrive, with Vista you need 'a bit more'...

Comment

I second (third?) that. I have an E7400 machine with Vista and it runs like a charm, even with 2GB RAM (with 1GB it is a joke, expect Vista to thrash your hard drive to a premature death even if you disable all of the useless "services" that made Vista slow in the first place).

Comment

Originally posted by sparkey55 View Post
                                another microshaft schill we have here i see.
                                +1

+1000

Comment

Hmmm...unlike previous Windows releases, W10's disposition doesn't seem to be improving. I didn't like W7 at all upon release, it was a flaky turd....but after SP1, W7 rapidly became the shining jewel, and I quit badmouthing it. XP was the Golden Jewel, 7 never surpassed it IMO, but it came in a close second. W10 stumbled out of the starting gate, and keeps tripping over its own feet along the way. Bad sign.
                                  I completely agree with regard to XP and 7. XP is still the pinnacle of the Windows bunch in terms of usability and just getting things "right," IMO. It's stable, relatively lean, and is still capable of running most everything (in the x86 version) that people use now. It would almost surely be beating Windows 10 in market share now if Microsoft had not stopped the security updates; as it stands, 10 is only a touch above XP, and is still below 8/8.1 (which is really saying a lot).

I never used Win2k personally, but I know it shared the UI with WinME, which I did use, as it was preinstalled on my first laptop (and I didn't have the horror-story experiences that make so many hate WinME). The UI was perfected right at that moment, IMO... no further large-scale development necessary, as I see it. If only MS had felt the same, it would have saved me a lot of annoyance. At least XP could easily be set to look very much like ME/2k, and with very little effort.

I only wish that XP had been the base for Microsoft's new plan to not release more Windows versions, but to continuously update the existing one. An XP with decent x64 support, DWM, better processor scheduling for multicore PCs, never-ending security updates, etc... would be perfect.

I am relatively new to 7; I only upgraded because I wanted more than 4MB of memory, and I knew XP's 64-bit version was not well supported. I'd been using XP from around 2002 until around 2014, if I recall... a dozen years with one Windows.

When I bought a laptop with Vista on it in 2008, it came with a "free offer" from Newegg (it was a $14.99 value, or something)... an official Asus Windows XP driver CD/DVD (don't remember which). Kind of tells a lot about how Vista was perceived at that time. When I got that laptop out of the box, I installed Acronis True Image on it, imaged the hard drive, and wiped it to install XP. That XP install remained on that lappy until oh, about four or five months ago now. Yeah, it struck me as a waste to pay the MS tax for Vista I was not going to use, but you don't win them all.

As such, I never experienced the bad stuff about Vista that so many did, and I missed the buggy rollout of 7 too. I only upgraded to 7 after Microsoft had already stopped production on it (not sure what version... OEM for system builders and/or retail); I just remember reading about it just before I saw 7 on sale at Fry's for Christmas). 8 had been out a while, but I knew (from what I had read) that it was not what I wanted.

So to those people who are now telling me 7 is antiquated and obsolete... naw! It's hardly even broken in by my standards, like a car that barely hit 100k miles. I had XP for 12 years; I've only had 7 for two years.
                                  Last edited by Ascaris; 01-29-2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I only upgraded because I wanted more than 4MB of memory
                                    my first pc, a 286 had 4MB of memory,
                                    win311 and dos both work fine with more.

Comment

I am relatively new to 7; I only upgraded because I wanted more than 4MB of memory, and I knew XP's 64-bit version was not well supported.
                                      You CAN have more than 4 GB of memory in Windows XP 32-bit, but you need to enable PAE and do some tricks with a RAMdisk. See this:
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=234

Personally, I haven't found a need yet to go past 2 GB of RAM. Even 1.5 is enough for what I do these days. Maybe a year or two from now, when the web bloats even more, I will need 2+ GB.

Originally posted by sparkey55
                                      another microshaft schill we have here i see.
                                      Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                      +1
                                      +2

Originally posted by stj
                                      Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                                      +1000
                                      Make that +1001
                                      Last edited by momaka; 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        You CAN have more than 4 GB of memory in Windows XP 32-bit, but you need to enable PAE and do some tricks with a RAMdisk. See this:
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=234
                                        Ah yes my beloved Gavotte PAE RAMdisk trick. Works wonders for my Xeon Gallatin based rigs that are i686 limited but can run up to 8GB (12GB for the one I sent to brethin) of ECC DDR1. With this trick they run windows 7 32-bit like a champ.

Here are some notes:

1. AFAIK a lot of older systems don't have PAE enabled by windows directly (IIRC you need a 64-bit CPU, which is kinda self defeating). For XP and Server 2003 you need to use the /PAE switch in boot.ini . For Vista and later, there is a command one must run to manually enable it on systems where it isn't already enabled. I have it in a one-line batch file that makes it easy (just remember to run it as administrator). See this for more details:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

2. You need the correct version of Gavotte in order to make things work. Older versions won't do. I've attached the correct version (with my aforementioned batch file) to this post.

3. There is a caveat to the trick: you are limited to what you can do with the RAM. For instance, the largest you can allocate to the page file is 4095MB. The rest (somewhere in the 800MB range on 8GB RAM) I allocate to my TEMP/.tmp files, so it auto-clears on boot (one of the benefits of volatile RAM ). So in reality all you get in terms of usable RAM is 800MB short of 8GB when all is said and done. Not that anything run by a mortal on a 32bit system will ever need more than that, anyway (some things like Java runtime don't run well on 32 bit).
                                        Attached Files
                                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Check your six!

Windows 10 will now automatically download and install on PCs

Comment

Working...
                                          X