Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronics Technician Course - Online?

Hi,

I would like to learn about electronics with a goal of getting an Electronics Technician Certificate. Can any advise if this is doable online vice in a classroom?

Thanks

Re: Electronics Technician Course - Online?

What do you intend to do with this certification? Apply for a job as a technician, or just want to benefit from the education? Most jobs in that field would look at your previous experience more than qualifications.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I was going through the CET training (before I had to switch focus and concentrate on a work-related cert), but it's a bit advanced in a few areas. I had to research a few topics outside of the course material to get a clearer picture.
      Last edited by capkid; 09-19-2013, 03:48 PM.
      LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Hi tom66,

I would just like to learn from the education for now.

CapKid,

Thanks for the link to CET. I am also looking at the George Brown College online info.

I know next to nothing and finding it hard to find some good/solid info to start with so figuring to try and take a structured course with an end goal of a certificate.

Thanks

Comment

I think George Brown was something like $1700 when I looked at it, but I could be mistaken. Unless you're pursuing a career in that field, I'd look for some cheaper or free options.
          LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Local junior college with an electronics program is a good cheap way to get some electronics training.

Comment

As are the excellent MIT OpenCourseWare videos and resources.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

did you check coursera.org? that is a hell of resource for courses

Comment

I have found this in your country

HERE

and here
                  Last edited by popeye; 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been here to respond.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will persue them each and see what fits the best.

Cheers

Comment

40 years ago, I got an Associate In Science in Electronic Servicing, I did a lot of self guided study got a FCC General Telephone/ Ships Radar endorsement. Did that a few years then,
                      Did TV repair for two years, man a lot has changed in 35 years. Did Remotely Operated Vehicle for Oceaneering Into. 28 years. Mainly industrial electronics and electrical. During that time I went to ISCET and ETA, studied along the suggested guidelines. I studied took the proctored exams. Have had the Master C.E.T. for many years (certified in 6 fields) of
                      Electronics. I am also on the E.T.A Industrial Exam Reveiw Committee.
                      Paperwork does pay off as does experience. I am a firm believer in self guided study then
                      get the Certifications. Most employment places make you take an exam anyway. Don't be discouraged. As for me, after I got my Associate Degree it was a good while before it all clicked and really improved my skills.
                      Both the ETA and ISCET give list of topics and recommended books for the particular field of electronics that you want to study. They also offer study guides. You can get a list of places in any state to get a exam proctored. You can get forms that you can take to local Community Colleges that they can fill out and send to ETA or ISCET if that institution is not on their list. Exam proctor. cost vary. Usually 75 bucks with retake at a marginal amount.
                      Last edited by Ltank; 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

hi everyone. is there any chance that learn electronic just from book, site, etc the otodidac ways..? any site that very well teach me from basic to be expert be a technician? i can read a schematic but sometimes i don't know what is the function of the components of schematic and how to measure RMS, frequency, current flow, feedback,peak to peak, voltage in mV range etc..sometimes it makes me confused. what is the best way to learn about that?
                        Last edited by senz_90; 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM.
                        "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
                        Rudi
                        Thank You

Comment

Yes you can there are plenty of sites that will help you learn electronics and symbols.
                          It may not come easy, you will need to apply yourself and study. the more you put into it the more you will get out it. If you really like what you have learned then you always take the exams and continue on. The main thing is enjoy it, if you enjoy what your doing then learning will be fun not a chore and you will get better. Google search any topic there are different levels of info. Start basic OHMs Law, learn series/parallel circuits, reisitors, capacitors, inductors then diodes, transistors and mosfets. Its alot bout hang in there!

Comment

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by Ltank View Post
                              Yes you can there are plenty of sites that will help you learn electronics and symbols.
                              It may not come easy, you will need to apply yourself and study. the more you put into it the more you will get out it. If you really like what you have learned then you always take the exams and continue on. The main thing is enjoy it, if you enjoy what your doing then learning will be fun not a chore and you will get better. Google search any topic there are different levels of info. Start basic OHMs Law, learn series/parallel circuits, reisitors, capacitors, inductors then diodes, transistors and mosfets. Its alot bout hang in there!
                              yeah, i am really enjoy every progress that i do. i have make another built before likes flashing led, esr meter, linear psu, ring tester, etc. i know what is series paralel, ohm's law, basic component. how to make schematic into breadboard and pcb. i know the current, voltage, resistance realtionship, im a man with "learn by doing" type. i can make a small repairment. maybe the issue is i don't have learn basic enough about calculate math in schematic.. i just borrow the basic electronic book by Bernard Grob on my college to see what i get on the progress, regardless i am not an engineering colleger..

thank you..
                              Last edited by senz_90; 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM.
                              "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
                              Rudi
                              Thank You

Comment

First of all sorry for interrupting this thread here, I'm currently taking a local basic certificate course in Electronic Servicing in my country here. Before taking up the course, I really enjoy every each of self progress that I have done including some practice soldering small components, building basic circuit like LED flasher and a bit further into components level repair like recapping bad motherboards. The issue here is maybe I don't have the basic knowledge about how electronic works. The institution that I'm studying provide me with some mathematical concept in form of schematic and true fundamental skill like learning symbols and building electronic circuit.

They told me (institution panel) that by looking into ETA Electronics Technician Association or some sort of member of ISCET certification will improve my chances of getting a recognisable pertinent job in the future. Is this really true or just another marketing scheme to make profit out of people who desperately want to get a higher possible position in a firm? Generally my goal is to apply for job as a Bench Technician in component level repair etc.Motherboard..LCD TV..tablet PC and consumer electronics. Any ideas or related advise are welcome. Thanks
                                *ISCET is known as ISPE here for my country*
                                Last edited by LENOVO-A880; 05-01-2015, 04:42 AM.
                                "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
                                -Napoleon Hill

"The chip that functions abnormally will be desoldered, as they say."
                                -Charles Stross

"Why is it you're always too small or too tall?"
                                -The Mad Hatter

Comment

I found CET does not make a big difference in Canada, so I never pursued it.
                                  Techs that work on dangerous equipment for bigger corporations, then the CET is valued because you are considered more "professional" and less likely to screw up and hurt people or equipment.
                                  The guys that have been techs for 10-20 years get certification mainly so they can get higher wages, because after a while your wage competes with managers/engineers and gets stuck under there.
                                  See if there is a PTECH or something similar in your country, where you can do engineering drawings.

I found consumer electronics is hard, a lot of fun, but not a lifelong career.
                                  CE is always going down in price, and harder and harder to repair with SMT, if you can get a schematic. You get paid relative to what equipment costs. If you are fixing $100 things, pretty hard to charge $50 for parts and labour. People are always haggling over price and warranty on a repair.
                                  I suggest doing it for a while, then moving onto bigger industrial equipment. You get paid more, people are more happy getting the thing fixed.

Comment

School is for learning the basic understanding of the behavior of electricity and the various components used to control it. In schools labs are use for working with the test equipment, but like any school learning when one gets out in the working world one will have to learn how to apply that knowledge to different situations that where never taught in school. I always believe to go where your interest leads you because then you will be learning just what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                      I found CET does not make a big difference in Canada, so I never pursued it.
                                      Techs that work on dangerous equipment for bigger corporations, then the CET is valued because you are considered more "professional" and less likely to screw up and hurt people or equipment.
                                      The guys that have been techs for 10-20 years get certification mainly so they can get higher wages, because after a while your wage competes with managers/engineers and gets stuck under there.
                                      See if there is a PTECH or something similar in your country, where you can do engineering drawings.

I found consumer electronics is hard, a lot of fun, but not a lifelong career.
                                      CE is always going down in price, and harder and harder to repair with SMT, if you can get a schematic. You get paid relative to what equipment costs. If you are fixing $100 things, pretty hard to charge $50 for parts and labour. People are always haggling over price and warranty on a repair.
                                      I suggest doing it for a while, then moving onto bigger industrial equipment. You get paid more, people are more happy getting the thing fixed.
                                      I have real good success in CE ... Mainly BGA work, PS4, PC Graphics cards etc. Buy them busted for nice low prices and reball them and sell them off, TBH I am making a small fortune off them! Just gone onto motherboard CPU socket replacements and repaired an LGA1050 on my first attempt. I am very good at haggling and can even get PS4's for £150 working with a game and pad! Push hard and work hard

Comment

Thanks for the info! Going to check out CET .

Comment

Working...
                                        X