52LG50 Has Mind of its own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52LG50 Has Mind of its own

TV is about 4 yrs old, and never had a problem, that is until now. You go to turn it on, with remote or by hand, and it comes on, off, on, off, ect for what seems like an eternity but then comes on and works just fine. Then when you go to power it off, sometimes it works and sometimes not. Have had 2 different technicians look at it and they are saying it is either the main board, or the power supply board. Would like to repair myself if at all possible, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 52LG50 Has Mind of its own

My first consideration would be the power button itself getting stuck (not turning off here is a clue), but LG do also have lots of problems with bad capacitors.

There's a board for the buttons usually. Try locating this and unplugging it, then use the remote. Does it still encounter problems?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

At work now, but will try later, probably tomorrow and let you know.

Comment

Consider replacing the Front Panel PCB assy. It may be something like: EBR42597903 and usually quite reasonably priced.

been down that road several times....

Comment

Found the board for the on/off button. Unplugged both connectors and tried remote, which nothing happened. Shouldn't one be plugged in and other not and then try remote? One lead goes to the buttons on side of the TV while the other I believe goes to the main board.

Comment

Maybe the on-off button board has the IR sensor on it? In which case unplugging it will mean you won't be able to turn the TV on. You may just need to replace the board.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So you believe it to be that board?

Comment

It would be my first check point.

Comment

My wife said that while the TV was on, she unplugged it from the wall and took the switch completely out, plugged it back in and it still did the same thing, on,off,on,off,ect. So if that is the case, what next, the main board?

Comment

What switch are you talking about? The plug switch, one on the TV, or something else?

Comment

The on/off button board that has the IR sensor on it. (EBR42597903)

Comment

I took the switch and the main board out. Checked the connections, blew the dust out and put back together. Seemed to work fine until last evening, and it started on and off again. My wife seems to think that it is being interrupted by the signal from the house phone. Is that possible, and if so, wouldn't that be the switch because it has the sensor attached?

Comment

I doubt it would be related to a phone, cordless or not.

Since you cleaned the switch and it worked, the switch still has contamination, it just needs either more cleaning or to be replaced.

Comment

Any pictures of the board?
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

The Main Board?The P/N is EBU41909802. Nothing seemed to be out of place as far as I could tell. No hot spots, or broken connections that I could see. Have had 2 different repairmen out and they both said it was more than likely the main board because it probably got an electrical surge through the HD cable. Should I just go ahead and replace the main board and the on/off switch?

Comment

Changed out the switch and it is still cycling on and off. Would it be the main board or the power supply next?

Comment

Have you done a service reset?
                                  MENU on remote and MENU on TV at same time for 5~10 seconds, then find reset option and select.

Comment

If the problem still occurs with the Function Switch board disconnected at the main board, the main board is your problem. I have had this type of problem on several LG sets, and it can be caused by either the Function Switch CBA or the Main. This is not a power board issue.

Comment

Attempted the service reset, and after the 5-10 seconds, the prompt on the screen for password came up. I entered the password and it went to a screen that I never seen before. Did not however find a reset. Is it on the remote?

Comment

What is the password?
                                        Never heard of that before on an LG...

It may be buried in one of many menus.

Comment

Working...
                                        X