Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reballing does NOT mean it'll last long!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reballing does NOT mean it'll last long!

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    And... here we go again. I was watching a HD video and bang. And this time i can rightfully blame the guy who reballed it as it was the GPU which failed. But nothing can stop a man with a heat gun.

And i thought a little case mod would be in order as well. A little extra fannage. I made it temperature controlled too, so i don't have to put up with that wheeeeee all the time. It starts making its presence felt at 50C, and reaches maximum speed at 60ish. It does whine quite a bit, but it moves some serious air for its size. I have a couple larger ones of the same height, but they are both 12v fans so they'd spin rather slowly at 5v and not do much. I haven't checked the mobo for a 12v or higher source that is present on both charger and battery, maybe i will, and fit one of the larger fans if i find one.

While i was at it, i also added a little something for the RAM chip on the top side that used to be in free air (i had already arranged for its neighbor to get some heatsinking from the top cover when i reflowed it). It isn't a lot, but it's better than nothing.

And yes, i do have to make some sort of grill for that fan, but that's for tomorrow.

PS. A big Fuhjyyu () goes to HP, Quanta and a certain dude who does "professional reballs". I'll never trust a computer service in my country ever again.
    Hi There: Would you be so kind to show in more deatail the conection of the wires of the old fan with the new one. I want to make sure where everything goes,and not to cause a short!
    Thanks!

Comment

Re: Reballing does NOT mean it'll last long!

I'll have to dig it up but i remember i used the same circuit found in the fan controller of some (cheap) power supplies. One transistor, one resistor and one thermistor is all there is to it.

Btw, the fan in the DVxxxx series can be controlled via software, back then i didn't know that. And ultimately, it wasn't the fault of the reballer, it was a bad chip. I've since pulled it off the board and the solder was perfect underneath.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
      X