Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASus A7N8X-LA - Powers on, but no boot (solved)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASus A7N8X-LA - Powers on, but no boot (solved)

After replacing the battery i got this board to boot.
    Went back to it a week later and only the cpu fan spun after powering it up
    So i changed RAM, and blew out the slots to no avail.
    So then changed the psu and noticed that the keyboard lights blinked briefly (which they didn't do before)
    Tried again a few times and no keyboard lights.
    The fan would occasionally stop a few seconds after turning it on.
    So felt like that it was doing what it was supposed to do, so i took the heatsink off, and it was dry underneath.
    Put new paste on, and it booted first pop.
    It seems that the CPU 'shuts down' but the fan keeps going - which can be quite misleading, because i thought that when the CPU 'stops' due to overheating that the fan would stop as well.

Re: ASus A7N8X-LA - Powers on, but no boot (solved)

Repasting was just a coincidence I think. Or there may be a bad contact in the CPU socket and taking off/putting back on the heatsink did something.
    No sign of bulging capacitors? (they could still be bad though)
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

OK - yes, i did also remove the CPU and give it a scrub with a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid. So maybe that was the problem - there was a small area of whitish mould(?) on one corner. Now i'll never know
      No bulging caps - that's one thing that i like about it - zl and mbz.
      Coincidentally, it did start playing up (turning on and off by itself)- but that was due to a faulty power button, that i fixed with a wd40 type aerosol).
      Last edited by socketa; 11-15-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

This was going good, up untill now
        But it started to make crackling noises from the small onboard speaker, and there was a series of BIOS beeping also - (forgot take note of the sequence though).
        Couldn't get it to boot again, although the power light and cpu fan turned on.
        I probed around on the coils and vacant cap spots and all were giving, what looked like to me, reasonable voltages
        So tried three other CPUs only one got hot, the others didn't.
        After a few tries with that CPU (not booting) it now boots again, with no crackling.
        What was a probable the likely cause of the cracking
        Dirty contacts in the CPU socket, as previouly suggested?
        Would it be a good idea to spray the socket with mould killer, and then detergent and then rinse it out and dry?
        Also Windows in not detecting the Realteak ALC650 chip - can i test if it's faulty? There is 2.4V on the Line out L and Line out R pins of the chip, so it at least has some life

Comment

It started cracking again and windows restarted a couple of times - then the board failed to boot.
          It was still crackling after i powered it up, and also when i reinserted the cpu a dozen times or so.
          Then it stopped crackling and still wont boot - so i'm assuming that whatever weak connection there was, is no longer making contact.
          Am going to wash the socket, starting with dishwashing liquid, then mould cleaner, then, if no luck, something like wd40 or engine degreaser. Although i'm still not sure that it's the socket.
          Last edited by socketa; 01-16-2020, 12:13 AM.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, this board has an nVidia nForce 2 chipset. Although fairly reliable, I do remember reading some posts on here that said even nForce 2 chipsets can fail in a similar way that the nForce 3, 4, and onwards chipsets failed from the bumpgate issue.

I suppose washing the board is a good first start, though. I don't suggest spraying anything corrosive in the socket. Wash with hot water and dish detergent is OK, as long as you get all of the detergent well washed and the board dried quicker (i.e. don't leave it in some dark corner where it takes the moisture many days to dry, as that can cause corrosion on the contacts.)

If this doesn't work, then perhaps the NB chipset may be going bad. In which case, try applying some pressure on the NB heatsink first while trying to boot the board. Try this several times at different pressures (but don't go overboard.) If that doesn't do anything, try the same on the SB too.

Finally, if this was a used board you bought/got from somewhere (i.e. not original owner), then make sure to do a thorough inspection for scratched traces and damaged SMD components. I repaired a Soyo socket 370 motherboard last week that had damaged SMD array resistor by the CPU socket. I don't know if the board worked before fixing this (I don't like to test equipment that I can see has bad components that may be critical to the operation), but the board was given to me in "as is, for repair" condition. So after fixing that SMD resistor, the board worked perfectly fine. Chances are high that it didn't before... or perhaps it could have been very intermittent like yours.
            Last edited by momaka; 01-17-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X