EVGA 133-K8-NF41 blown fz's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EVGA 133-K8-NF41 blown fz's

I also have a NF-41 EVGA board, and all the capacitors blew. (Powers on then immediately off).

I am having trouble figuring out the diameters I should buy however, as on the 1500's badcaps.net offers both 8mm and 10mm. I have a manual calipers...but at 8mm, its kinda hard to read.

Pics.

Comment

The 1500uF are 10mm, the 470uF are 8mm. Replace them ALL, even the ones that appear ok. FZ are trash.

Here's what you need:
      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=51

I recapped 8 of those boards just last week. Recapping fixed them all.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

dont forget about the evercraps... err.. i mean evercons

Comment

Thankyou so much, Topcat, you're reply will make this so much easier.

Comment

The FZ are Sacon.
            Sacon = Evercon = GSC
            Same company
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Hello all, just stumbled upon this board after researching for a replacement for a bad capacitor on you guessed it another EVGA NF41 mobo. I have had this for quite some time and it was sitting in the closest. Figured I would turn it into a media server and popped in a X2 4400+ cpu and within a couple day I hear a loud pop and see one of those caps exploded open above the PCIe slot similar to what the previous people had described. Looks like I will be able to repair it thanks to the information I have read here

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                If your going to use Polymer (solid) caps, use about half the capacitance (for example, if the originals are 1000uF, use about 560uF for a poly), but keep the voltage the same.
                Guys, what would happen if he didn't lower the capacitance when replacing by polys? I know that boards (and CPU and RAM) benefit from higher uF values using lytics...
                Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Shodan486 View Post
                  I know that boards (and CPU and RAM) benefit from higher uF values using lytics...
                  Not so much. - ESR matters more there.
                  That 'raise uF' crap is an old wives tale spread by idgits on gamers sites.
                  -
                  What they did was replace something like 1800uF GSC with 2200uF MBZ and conclude the increased uF was what made the difference.
                  - It wasn't...
                  What made the difference was lowering the ESR.

Mobos use VRM caps with higher uF - TO GET LOWER ESR...
                  The physically bigger caps have lower ESR. - That's the only reason.
                  -
                  That's the same reason they use 10v caps where a 6.3v would be fine. The cap is bigger so the ESR is lower.

Originally posted by Shodan486 View Post
                  Guys, what would happen if he didn't lower the capacitance when replacing by polys?
                  He would spend more money, and that's about it.

~~~
                  If you look at all poly boards the total uF for all the caps adds up to roughly 5000uF-6000uF on most boards.
                  - Obviously that's enough to keep the CPU happy and any more than that is pointless insofar as uF concerns.
                  Using more uF is only done to get ESR lower when lytics are used. It's not about the uF.

On the 16v side of VRM you should go for at least 1200uF.
                  3x470uF -or- 4x330uF -or- whatever does it.
                  That is also consistent with most factory poly boards.
                  [Although Intel [if not others] likes to double that on their server boards.]
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    The 1500uF are 10mm, the 470uF are 8mm. Replace them ALL, even the ones that appear ok. FZ are trash.

Here's what you need:
                    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=51

I recapped 8 of those boards just last week. Recapping fixed them all.
                    I've had one of these boards kicking around for a while. Turns out almost all of the caps are blown. But the links no longer work, can you show me what I need now?

Comment

Working...
                    X