Dell Precision 470 Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Precision 470 Workstation

Yeah, sounds like the same problem the Apple G5 Mirror Door Samsung supplies had with the open mains cap. <BANG!>

T
    veritas odium parit

Comment

If it helps, my PSU reads D550P-00 model number. P/N is DPS-550DB A Dell P/N is D1257 A tech at a surplus store said spending the money on a PSU is worth it. He said the dual Xeon processors are an awesome setup, especially if I could get Windows 7 to work. Anyhow I'm trying to figure out where I could get a replacement thermistor and what kind of fuse I need. I was looking at PSU's on cellularfactory.com, particularly thisell Precision 470 A-Power AK 750W 20+4-pin ATX PSU w/SATA & PCIe (Black) Dell Precision 470 A-Power AK 750W 20+4-pin ATX PSU w/SATA & PCIe (Black) My question is how is it supposed to fit?

Comment

Those aren't Dell supplies. They're an off-brand. Fitting it in that clamshell case is up to you.

Repairing it is still the best option.

Parts are available from DigiKey, Mouser, Avnet, & Arrow.

T
        veritas odium parit

Comment

So what type/value NTC thermistor do I need? I'm also not sure what type/value the fuse is coming from the plug in.

Comment

Need pics of the parts and numbers from them.

T
            veritas odium parit

Comment

I got the fuse out, so no problem figuring that out. My NTC thermistor is exactly the same as the cracked one shown on page 5 of this thread. No manufacturer, just SCR057608. Once I figure out what I need, I'm going to get a soldering gun and replace it along with the fuse I pulled and see what I get.

Comment

SCR? Do you mean SCK?

Also, its 3 separate lines.

SCK

See attached.

T
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Toasty; 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks Toasty!

I get the SCK057-so what value does the 608 represent?

Comment

Would Radioshack have that thermistor? I need a soldering iron anyway-I'll pick up the Weller that they sell. I'm sure I can get the fuse from there-but finding a knowledgeable staff person probably won't happen.

Comment

608 is a manufacturer's date code.

No, Radio Shack won't have the part(s). See the list I gave above.

T
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

I'm having a hard time finding an exact match. The closest one seems to be a Honeywell (Mouser#785-ICL155R007-01). The temp variance is -40C to 185C. Mine is -40 to 200C. Is this a close enough match? I'd hate to order it and find out it's the wrong one.
                        Looks like I'm SOL finding a used power supply. The only option is shelling out $200 for a new one so I'm pretty much stuck with the repair option. I'm hoping it was an overheat problem since the PSU fans were completely plugged-and the act of shutting it off made the fans stop and pushed the temp over the edge. At least it didn't happen while the PC was on...
                        That technical jargon on the graph you graciously sent makes my mind feel like it's stuck in mud-especially when I'm trying to cross reference a match. I guess you learn something everyday-it's just a matter of realizing it.

Comment

Sorry to bug you again Toasty, but I need to ask about the fuseholder. I'd like to install a fuseholder that would allow me to replace the fuse quickly without having to solder. Any ideas?

Comment

Dear God NO! LOL!

Mouser - 785-ICL155R007-01 = $5.50

DigiKey - 570-1070-ND = $1.06

Fuseholder is fine, but why? If you fix it right, you won't need to replace the fuse...

T

EDIT: Use the "lamp in series" trick when testing this: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=23
                            Last edited by Toasty; 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the part #! The reason I asked about the fuseholder is having no experience, I snipped the fuse out with both crimp holders in place. (Or are they soldered?) I have no idea what they are called. I'm looking at my fuse with both connectors on each end with about 1/4" of wire coming out. Is there a way to remove the fuse holders and re-solder them?

Comment

No. They're bonded/welded. Called "pigtail" fuses. If that is a ceramic (white) body fuse, you need to replace it with the same type. Need the numbers off the fuse and the body dimensions (mm) L x D to get the correct type. Typically sold in multiples of 5.

T
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Ok nevermind my last post about the fuse holders. Showing how little I know about electronics-I know understand that my fuse is an actually fuse assembly with the leads. The one I ordered was a F3329-ND from Digikey. Their tech service got me straightened out on that aspect because I would have ordered the wrong fuse.
                                  I just finished the order on the phone-now it's a matter of waiting for it in the mail and getting a soldering iron in the meantime. Thanks once again for your help Toasty!

Comment

I was able to order just one. I was going to order this one-a LittleFuse series 314, Digikey# F1772-ND, but that was just the fuse itself w/o the pigtails. The one I did order is Digikey# F3329-ND with 1.5" pigtails. Wow...this was a nightmare experience trying to get the correct pieces I needed!

I will now look at the soldering thread....my next test in my bad trip into electronics. (I do admit that I'm finding my first foray into electronics interesting.)

Comment

I'm currently writing this on my now functioning Dell 470! Much to my delight my pieces arrived yesterday in the mail. I soldered in a replacement thermistor and fuse. So far so good! Thanks Toasty!

Comment

Hi Guys,

I came across this great thread whilst googling a fix for my 470. I'm hoping one of you may be able to offer some advice.

My machine was purchased off ebay a few months ago, so no guarantee or support from the vendor. It functions fine, but I have a problem with overheating and fan noise, which is very irritating. I leave it on 24/7 as it is running video capture software from my home CCTV cameras.

So far I have checked over all of the fans, which appear to be rotating freely. I have cleaned the dust from them all. I have removed the heatsinks from the CPUs, cleaned them and replaced with new themal paste to the bases. All the capacitors look fine and no components are obviously blown.

I've just put it all back together and already it is getting rather hot, with all fans running and the PSU fan irritatingly cycling on and off. After a while the video card fan joins in the party and runs at full whack.

I imagine this thing was designed to run 24/7 as a server. Its pretty cold here in England, so something must be wrong!

Any ideas?

Thanks, Clive

Comment

If you turn off the video capture program, does it quiet down and run "normally"?

If so, then I would venture a guess that the program is the culprit. I have 2 - 670 Workstations (dual Xeons), and when watching some videos or browsing sites with a lot of flash graphics, it ramps up rather noisily. I think that a video capture program is pushing the CPU and video usage up, so there's really nothing wrong.

T
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X