Dell OptiPlex SX260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell OptiPlex SX260

I have a fleet of 33 of these machines. Three of them have swollen caps and Dell has said they are not part of their recall. Has anyone done any work on recapping this model?

Re: Dell OptiPlex SX260

pics?
    what caps?
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Ultra Small Form Factor Case
      4 years old
      2200uF 6.3v
      3 of 13 showing swelling failure
      Attached Files

Comment

It took me a while to find a decent picture.

Nichicon HM from somewhere around 0249, December 2002. It's not unexpected. I'd get the parts and solder it but I like soldering. If you don't mind inspecting every so often you can just replace the 4 that aren't under the heatsink and assume that the heat sink caps are in parallel so they create less heat or they are better cooled from the airflow. For something more turnkey replace them all or get $55 eBay boards.

It all depends on the value of your time, how much you like tinkering, the value of what the machines do, and how soon your company is going to replace them all with new models.
        Attached Files
        sig files are for morons

Comment

well since you have 33 of them i guess they are business machines. I wouldnt recommend just to replace the bulging ones but to replace all of that brand/series.

it wouldnt be that difficult to do yourself or you could get a quote for professional repair. you could source new boards from ebay but who knows if they would have the same caps on them or not.
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Those systems are probably ~4.5 years old. If they've been running 24x7x52, you may be looking at a wear-out failure. Since HNs (other than the known-bad lot) or MCZs or equivalent UCC series (can't remember the series name) would be lower Z than the HMs, they might run a little cooler and be a good choice for replacement. FMs are slightly higher Z, but also better rated life. As linuxguru (and possibly others) have said, these aqueous electrolyte caps really don't "like" high ambient temps.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I'm new here and have never participated in a forum before.

I have a Dell SX260 machine which stopped working (suddenly). I found several bulging, swelled and a couple of leaking caps.

Q: Can I use the SX270 kit for this Dell model? If not, I presume I must specify a custom kit.

Thanks.

Comment

This is what I ordered as my version of a SX260 repair kit:
                13x 2200uF 6.3v caps
                4x 1800uF 16v caps

I have had a lot of success. Five of my machines dropped dead, installed new caps, and had them up and running in an hour each. (5 for 5 so far)
                Last edited by dgi12582; 03-13-2008, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X