Windows 10 loaded itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 loaded itself?

Anybody had this happen? Got up this morning to order some parts online and Windows 10 was on my computer and wanted me to hit next and agree with the terms. I hit decline and rebooted. Now waiting for it to reload Win7.

I had just installed Win7 recently from XP. I am an old die hard when it comes to what I like and what works.

Very pissed off at this.

Re: Windows 10 loaded itself?

It's because the Windows Update settings haven't been configured correctly.

Comment

Thanks for the info diif!

Comment

This is not a good business practice. None of the other Windows Operating System have done this. It all started with Windows 8. Trying to force people to accept something they do not what is only going to cause Microsoft to be out of business sooner then they would of been.

Comment

Originally posted by whiz62 View Post
          Thanks for the info diif!
          You're welcome.
          Here's how I have mine configured.
          Use either the GWZ control panel or Never10 to block any Windows 10 updates.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply diif. I set it up like your pic showed after your first post and looks just like yours. Really appreciate the help. They sure are pushing this Win 10 OS.

Still got my garage and wife's computers on XP. After getting Win7 on my house computer, my scanner and printer would not work. I finally set the printer up on wife's and print thru network. Printer is HP 845c from the 90's. Can't believe it is still working.

Gonna have to upgrade one of these days, but just hate to. Hate to just throw stuff out. Friend gave me 5 Optiplex 745's a few years ago and for what I do, they work ok and have plenty of back up parts.

Comment

Never mind, remove this
              Last edited by R_J; 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                Another one to watch out for is KB3139929, (security update my ass) it installs a windows 10 nag when you start ie11. you can add a couple entries to the registry to get rid of it. Details here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3123303
                I mentioned that here but what do you mean exactly?
                This registry key you linked seem to only be about disabling the end-of-life warning for versions of IE older than IE11?
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  I mentioned that here but what do you mean exactly?
                  This registry key you linked seem to only be about disabling the end-of-life warning for versions of IE older than IE11?
                  I did not see your post about this.
                  Last edited by R_J; 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    It's because the Windows Update settings haven't been configured correctly.
                    not anymore.

i had 2 friends hit like this, one of them had 4 systems overwritten.

it schedules an upgrade and then gives you an optout.
                    all well & good if it's a system your in front of.
                    but if it's an unatended system and you leave it for 24hours or so, you can be screwed.

Comment

I don't install any software to stop windows 10 from installing, I just activate 'Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of windows'.

gpedit.msc
                      Computer configuration
                      Administrative option
                      Windows components
                      Windows update
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by whiz62 View Post
                        Gonna have to upgrade one of these days.
                        No you don't. W10 is not an upgrade to anything...its a horrendous compilation of bloatware/malware/spyware giftwrapped with a big pretty bow that says "FREE" on it!! Don't be fooled by that! Win7 will be well supported until 2020, and likely beyond. I install Win7 through SP1 only and after that disable any and all WU & WUS through gpedit. I no longer trust microsoft at all....a great company that went horribly astray from its roots....which used to be making top-notch OS's. MS hasn't been trustworthy since the introduction of windows 8, IMO.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          MS hasn't been trustworthy since the introduction of windows, IMO.
                          corrected that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            corrected that for you.
                            Nah, i wouldn't agree with that. There were several turd versions of Windows, such as ME and Vista, but it wasn't until recently that they've truly become untrustworthy. While there may have been a bug or security glitch here and there over the decades, it wasn't until very recently that MS deteriorated into the massive targeted spam-vert and spying mentality. Its a sign of a very desperate corporation....and that kind of desperation can not be trusted for obvious reasons. When they force something on you or intentionally break things to pump up something else, thats not trustworthy. Planned obsolescence is one thing, this is way beyond!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Nah, i wouldn't agree with that. There were several turd versions of Windows, such as ME and Vista, but it wasn't until recently that they've truly become untrustworthy. While there may have been a bug or security glitch here and there over the decades, it wasn't until very recently that MS deteriorated into the massive targeted spam-vert and spying mentality. Its a sign of a very desperate corporation....and that kind of desperation can not be trusted for obvious reasons. When they force something on you or intentionally break things to pump up something else, thats not trustworthy. Planned obsolescence is one thing, this is way beyond!
                              I would say the only ones they got right where 2000, XP, and se7en.
                              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                I would say the only one they got right was Windows 2000.
                                ^^There, fixed that for you
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

not anymore.

i had 2 friends hit like this, one of them had 4 systems overwritten.

it schedules an upgrade and then gives you an optout.
                                  all well & good if it's a system your in front of.
                                  but if it's an unatended system and you leave it for 24hours or so, you can be screwed.
                                  Sorry to disagree, but it's purely down to configuration or lack of it None of my systems or the ones I manage have upgraded or shown an upgrade to 10.

Comment

give it time.

Comment

give it time.
                                      Well it's been 10? months already with no sign of it. They can have as long as they like, I doubt I'll see it on my machines.

Comment

... W10 is not an upgrade to anything...its a horrendous compilation of bloatware/malware/spyware giftwrapped with a big pretty bow that says "FREE" on it!! Don't be fooled by that! Win7 will be well supported until 2020, and likely beyond. I install Win7 through SP1 only and after that disable any and all WU & WUS through gpedit. I no longer trust microsoft at all ...
                                        ^ Extremely wise words.

Comment

Working...
                                        X