Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1500uf 6.3v cap substitute

Hi,

I belong to a 3rd world country so online order caps is imposible for me. the only option for me is to get new caps from shops or salvage from old motherboards.

Here is my problem, i have xfx 8600gts video card. two if its caps have blown, FZ79 1500 6.3v. I am not electronic geek, the caps look like polymer but they had the so called stripes on top so it seems like electrolyte. in the market i can only buy cheap electrolyte, but i have salvaged some of these, and need expert advice.

1. HD Y4 1200 10v (silver, seems like poly but with stripes on top)
    2. LZX 1500uF 6.3v (electrolyte)
    3. 1500uf 6.3v (no name, 11IIITG, and M mark)
    4. EPCOS 1500uf 6.3 volts

these are all salvaged from old things, please suggest me which ones to use. also i may try to get 1500uf 6v from gx280 mobo will that be good enough for it ?

Thanks in advance to experts.

Re: 1500uf 6.3v cap substitute

Originally posted by daemon123
    1. HD Y4 1200 10v (silver, seems like poly but with stripes on top)
    2. LZX 1500uF 6.3v (electrolyte)
    3. 1500uf 6.3v (no name, 11IIITG, and M mark)
    4. EPCOS 1500uf 6.3 volts
    1. Could be old Nichicon HD. Some HD do not have the plastic sleeves. Not low enough ESR.
    2. Do you mean LXZ instead of LZX? Could be Chemi-con LXZ. Not low enough ESR.
    3. That's a Panasonic cap. There should be a series on it somewhere. Panasonic usually puts the series on the same line as the temperature rating. For instance:

+105°C FJ

This would be Panasonic FJ series. Panasonic FJ and FL would be good enough to use as replacements. Other series are insufficient.
    4. To the best of my knowledge, EPCOS doesn't make capacitors with low enough ESR.

Comment

Thanks yyonline for your reply

here are some pics, maybe u will get better idea

i think i need to salvage some more as i only will have 1 of the suggested one, will try to get more caps.
      I can easily get new caps, but they are ultra cheap so they wont last long and they dont have any data sheets or anything, just plain chinese caps.

also do i need to replace the other caps too or are they good, btw, the card worked fine after the capacitors blasted, and still works but i have taken it out of pc just for safty.

Comment

The Panasonic might work. The others definitely won't. The series info for the Panasonic would be on the other side of the cap, the one that can't be seen in the photos. It will be on the same line as the temp rating.

I know you said due to your location, it's hard to order decent parts online. However, many sellers will ship internationally. So, I'd imagine that's an option if you are in a location that at least has mail service.

Comment

thanks yyonline for you reply.

the panasonic one is like this
          +105C FC

if i order online the shipment will cost me alot, for that money and some more i can buy another card. but as i am always low on budget so i am trying to get this one working again.

Comment

That would be Panasonic FC series. Unfortunately, also not good enough.

Topcat (site owner) sells Rubycon MCZ, which would be a good replacement:
            https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40

I don't know what his international shipping rates are, but his domestic shipping isn't bad. Either way, I can't imagine it'd be more than a new card.

If you do go the replacement route, replace all of the FZ caps. If they haven't failed yet, they may at any time. FZ is that bad. The other caps look to be Chemi-con PSA series, which is solid polymer and very reliable.

Comment

thanks again for your kind reply,

i guess i have the option to get it online, can i post a link in forum ?

i am pm'ed it to just in case online links are not allowd, plz let me know whihc one to get from that site

Comment

btw, what if dont get anything else and the above are only things i can put on my card, what will be the worse that can happen ?

will the card get completly dead ? or the caps will blow soon ?

Comment

That XFX should have a full warranty to it even if you are the second owner. That is another route you could go. You do have to pay to ship the card in, though.

yyonline, do you know what the ESR is on the MCZ series? I can't find a definitive number on Rubbycon's site and wondered if Panasonic's FM series would be ok for the application in case daemon123 really needs to go that route.

Comment

To replace FZ [and last] you need panny FM or better.
                    best choices include: Rubycon MBZ, MCZ,,, Panny FM, FL, FJ,,, Sanyo WG,,,
                    ,,, or Nichicon HM, HN with 2006 or newer date code.

The non FZ caps on the vid card are Chemicon polymer, no need to replace.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

What country?

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Thanks for your reply guys, the country is Pakistan

as i said the online purchase is not feasible for me/neither will be sending the card to xfx, the local dealer gave me 1 year warranty only.

i will try to find some good series caps in used parts. i have also bought some new caps but dont know if they are fakes, so am posting pics of them, plz comment, also i can slit open them if u want.

these are labeled like this

1. blue one (ELNA 6.3v 2200uF (M)) RE3 CE85c 0135 (p)
                        2. black one ( 1500uf 6.3v) +105c FL (M) 45IVRZ

the bungs look good but the printing is fading on them so posted pics from u guys to confirm if they are fakes

Comment

Originally posted by daemon123
                          2. black one ( 1500uf 6.3v) +105c FL (M) 45IVRZ
                          Those are Panasonic FL series. Those should work. If you ask me, they do not appear to be fakes.

Comment

I agree with yyonline. Go with the panny FL. They look authentic to me as well.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

If i open them up can i find out if they are real. I can split open alot of them as they are dirt cheap. please let me knwo if u want me to do something to them, as they dont cost much, i can manage like 3 dozens of them, no big deal for me.

Also if they are fake, what will be the worse that can happen ? will they short and get my card or will they blow open like the old ones did ?
                              Last edited by daemon123; 06-06-2010, 01:40 AM.

Comment

If they are fake, the worst thing will happen is that it will end up like the cap in my avatar. Where did you get them from? If you got them from a reputable place, then they are probably OK. Splitting them open wouldn't tell me much about them, since all electrolytics are the same inside (other than this):

(https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=556)

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

the black caps (Panasonic FL) in post #12 would be the best option out of all of these caps you posted IMO

replace the 2 blown sacon FZ's with them. the other caps are real solid polymer caps and should not cause any issues.
                                  Last edited by Scenic; 06-06-2010, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I agree.
                                    The FL look legit and would be a good replacement for FZ.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

NEVER replace the bulging ones only. Replace ALL sacon FZ, busted or not, since they are guaranteed to fail later.

Comment

^ uhm.. there are only 2 sacons.. and both of them popped..

Comment

Working...
                                        X