X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus A8N SLi Premium

ok guys. To cut a long story short!
    My Power Supply failed a few weeks ago and smoke came out of the back of it
    I duly replaced it with a quality 600w one and system powered up but did not POST.

After some checking I have found several very suspect Caps on the board...
    could this be stopping it post? is it worth replacing them?

Or is the motherboard likely to have further damage that I cant repair?

thanks

Re: Asus A8N SLi Premium

What was the old power supply? Any pictures? What brand and series are the suspect capacitors? Any idea on what failed in the power supply?

I know its lots of questions, however all of that can help us give good advice about your situation.

One word of warning. If the old power supply was a Bestec, your motherboard is probably dead. There have been many reports on this forum that many Bestec power supplies fry the Southbridge on the motherboard. Basically the motherboard is trashed beyond repair.

Comment

Thanks for your helpful reply shadow

Here is the PSU

Its an Antec SP 500P

I have not opened it to ID the fault as yet. Except to say it starts smoking mildly if powered up and smells a bit

Heres the MB

Suspect Caps

There isnt just one bulging cap either! It seems there is 3 or 4 that have bulges and the rest are as they should be.

How can I tell what brand and series the caps are?
      I cant see a make on them but this is their spec

820uF 6.3v

Thanks for any help and advice

Comment

those caps dont look bulged, although you didnt focus on them in the pic.
        they are panasonic, probably FJ series. it will say on the side.
        anyway i dont think they are the problem.

seems like that psu is pure merde
        http://www.dabs.com/ProductReviews.a...dOffset=20&%20
        who is the oem?
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
          those caps dont look bulged, although you didnt focus on them in the pic.
          they are panasonic, probably FJ series. it will say on the side.
          anyway i dont think they are the problem.

seems like that psu is pure merde
          http://www.dabs.com/ProductReviews.a...dOffset=20&%20
          who is the oem?
          HI
          thanks for the input.
          I did try and focus on them but my digital camera doesnt seem to like up close shots of them!! Not sure why as its an expensive 10MP one but that was the best I could get!

Thanks for finding the PSu reviews!! Wow, it is rubbish!!

Did you mean who is the OEM of the system or PSU?
          if so, the system was a custom built about 18 months ago.
          PSU is Antec POS!!!

I cant understand what the problem is then...

I have taken the system back to barebones. No Post.
          New GFX card. No post
          Swapped different memory in. Tried all slots in all combinations. NO change
          New Trust 600 watt expensive PSU. All lights on, fans running, single beep when its meant to be visually posting.

Nothing

I dont know what it could be if you think the Caps are ok...Im sure one of them has bulged tho!! maybe my pics make them look better than they are?

What else on the motherboard could be fried? any ideas guys?
          Last edited by asus11; 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM.

Comment

for close up pics, selecting macro mode should do the job.
            antec like many companies doesnt manufacture their own psu, anyway i was asking in case anybody reading knows who the oem of the psu is
            i wonder if its a UK specific problem?

i am not optimistic about the board. check back in case one of the guys has some ideas. i think the psu throw some nasty voltage into the board and damage the chipset.

Comment

for close up pics, selecting macro mode should do the job.
              antec like many companies doesnt manufacture their own psu, anyway i was asking in case anybody reading knows who the oem of the psu is
              i wonder if its a UK specific problem?

i am not optimistic about the board. check back in case one of the guys has some ideas. i think the psu throw some nasty voltage into the board and damage the chipset.

Thanks

ok. I found Macro mode and actually got some usable pictures!!
              Here are the caps in better view (maybe they are ok after comparing them with some other pictures of bad caps!..although there are several that are 'wonky' on the board which I thought was a bad sign?!)

and the real bad news (or good news as I at least know why the thing will not post!)

Im not actually sure what this fried chipset controls? maybe some one can help me?

it is the one to the left of the PCI slots in the overview of the motherboard in the first pictures.

So I now know this Antec has fried my MB beyond repair

Do you think the processor will also be dead? (please tell me no )

Do I need to replace both MB and PSU to something like the new AMD 4000+? or similiar...this ones socket 939 iirc, and the new ones are socket AM2 I believe.
              I would much rather keep my current Processor if I can get a decent Socket 939 board but there doesnt seem much choice as most are now AM2 from looking at some e shops!

I would much rather not have teh

Comment

Sorry, I missed a bit off the end of the message and couldnt edit after 10 minutes
                I would much rather not have teh
                Should be

'I would much rather not have to replace both MB and Processor, however if there is a chance the processor is fried, then I dont want to have to shop around for an S939 processor purely to fit the now not popular Socket 939 board I bought!
                If there is a high risk of both being dead I would rather bite the bullet and buy two compatable AM2 items...

Comment

The 88E8001-LKJ is a Marvell Gigabit Ethernet chip, and for it to with such obvious damage would take a huge surge.

I think you can say goodbye to your motherboard.

As for the processor... your guess would be as good as anyone elses.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey
                    The 88E8001-LKJ is a Marvell Gigabit Ethernet chip, and for it to with such obvious damage would take a huge surge.

I think you can say goodbye to your motherboard.

As for the processor... your guess would be as good as anyone elses.

Thanks for the input Harvey

now I just need to figure out if the processor is fried as well!!! (got no other AMD board to test it on sadly)

Comment

the cpu is likely ok.
                      if that were mine i would call antec and let them know the psu killed your board and was smoking.
                      as for that board if it were mine i would desolder the burnt nic chip and see if it posted.
                      antec/fuhkkyu caps strikes again!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                        the cpu is likely ok.
                        if that were mine i would call antec and let them know the psu killed your board and was smoking.
                        as for that board if it were mine i would desolder the burnt nic chip and see if it posted.
                        antec/fuhkkyu caps strikes again!

Hmmm.
                        Thanks a lot kc8adu
                        Thats a good idea regarding desoldering the chip!!
                        I will try it seeing as I have nothing to lose!!

I wonder,would a fried chip like that prevent POST, if that is ALL that was wrong with the board?

Does the board self check or something? (sorry for ignorance on this guys)

Comment

if it was mine i would stomp on it and cuss
                          but i think kc8 has the more intelligent answer

Comment

if it was mine i would stomp on it and cuss
                            but i think kc8 has the more intelligent answer

lol

Comment

@ asus11: I'm not so optimistic. If bios is still working, it should detect the faulty lan chip and beep: what you get is only fans spinning, which is not good.
                              In fact, ICs usually works with 3.3 and 5 v: if the Marvell is burnt, chances are other chips may be damaged, especially the chipset and the bios.

Anyway, try clearing the cmos before desoldering the lan controller: wrong settings may prevent posts even on healty boards.

Zandrax
                              Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
                                @ asus11: I'm not so optimistic. If bios is still working, it should detect the faulty lan chip and beep: what you get is only fans spinning, which is not good.
                                In fact, ICs usually works with 3.3 and 5 v: if the Marvell is burnt, chances are other chips may be damaged, especially the chipset and the bios.

Anyway, try clearing the cmos before desoldering the lan controller: wrong settings may prevent posts even on healty boards.

Zandrax

Thanks for the info Zandrax

I forgot to post this originally but I have indeed cleared the Cmos several times and installed a new battery just in case!
                                Result =

Good point on the faulty lan chip + error

At present the board is not giving ANY of the audio error messages it should be when I plug headphones or a speaker into the right port (green iirc)

Doesnt seem good....

but one positive thing is I have found this forum where people are very helpful and knowledgeable

Comment

Originally posted by asus11
                                  At present the board is not giving ANY of the audio error messages it should be when I plug headphones or a speaker into the right port (green iirc)

Doesnt seem good....
                                  Sorry to read that: your motherboard seems doomed. Pity, it was a good one.

Zandrax
                                  Have an happy life.

Comment

bet that chip is fouling up the pci bus though.
                                    nothing to lose by removing it.

Comment

Like others I don't see any bulging caps. I see some caps tipped a bit like that small Rubycon near the Marvell chip. Sometimes that's normal because they were installed that way by incompetent machine operators. They might be tipped over because they have been hit. If they tip and you can see the bung blown out or ooze then it is your typical bad cap.

At this point I recommend putting the screwdriver and heat gun away and take Antec up on their offer. Let them prove that your hard drive went bad and burnt out the power supply which burnt out the board. You have an Antec that can be warrantied because it is broken. The rest of us prefer to get these loose cannons under control before they fire. Get your education when your chance at a check has passed.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...0&postcount=73

Don't believe all you read there. The badcap army tried their best to correct but it only resulted in a torrent of new puffery.
                                      sig files are for morons

Comment

Well, i am not so sure that Antec does accept that the damage is caused by their PSU.
                                        A network chip could easily fried by an over voltage at the network. So i think they donĀ“t accept their responsibility.
                                        No manufacturer does include liability beyond the particular component he has provided, it is always a free decision by their own. But you can try it.

Apart from that, i would certainly remove the chip and try it once more. A bad component can easily distort anything else, where it is connected to. Like KC8 has already mentioned.
                                        I would remove pin per pin and bent them up with a needle or similar. So you don`t need too much equipment, but some patience and time.
                                        But sure, you would not lose face, if you declare the board RIP and move on.
                                        Last edited by gonzo0815; 04-23-2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X