Antec TruePower 2.0 480W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec TruePower 2.0 480W

So my computer is on it's 3rd pair of DDR2 sticks (Crucial DDR2-800 2x512MB kit) and 2nd motherboard (Abit KN9 SLI), and I decide to just replace the power supply, thinking that might be the reason things keep randomly crashing. The RAM is probably bad, killed by the PSU, but the other motherboard may still be good. Here are some pics of the Antec TruePower 2.0 480W.

The fails caps are the two 470uF 10V at least. All of the caps in the thing are the brand Fuhjyyu.

My only regret is I replaced this with an Antec TruePower Trio 430W. I guess I had thought maybe Antec is a decent brand. I just wanted a quiet 120mm fan really .
    Are there any good PSU manufacturers who admit this stupid long going problem and use only good caps, sorta like Abit started doing with motherboards?

Re: Antec TruePower 2.0 480W

For quiet, quality and Nipponese caps, the Seasonic 380 or 430 are hard to best.

Not quiet but better, would be Zippy/Emacs at myaopen.com.

For cheap but good quality the Enhance ENP-5140GH(400W) or ENP-5150GH(500W) at eWiz.com. One year bulk warranty and populated with Teapo caps. I put a 400W unit in sister's comp. The 120 fans on these tend to ramp up early, I would not consider them loud. The Seasonic units have a much more sophisticated fan controler.

If you are a moderate gamer and have the card for it, the Corsair HX520 is well worth looking into. It is built by Seasonic.

The Silverstone Elements are built by Enhance, same as the ENP series, cost a bit more, have a three year warranty, more SATA connects and sleeved cabling.

Some decent reviews can be found at http://www.jonnyguru.com/ Note that he had two Trios crap out when loaded in the hot box. The NeoHE units are the only Antec I'd run. Just the way I feel about it.

Don't feel alone, search our forum for Antec. I had 190 hits come up the other day. http://www.theflyingpenguin.com/ > My Blog > 09/17/05

Comment

Those caps seems most common to fail, hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in but I suppose those are the +5v standby caps

Therefore they are always used, even when your system is powered off the +5vsb is still powering your RAM and some I/O chips on the mainboard, therefore the RAM gets fried when those caps fail (and sometimes the mainboard too)

+5vsb is ATX pin #9, the cable is purple. Take a digital multimeter and check what voltage you see when the PSU is powered off there...

As to good quality PSU's, Galvanized's advise is good, however no brand of PSU's has really gone out of their way to brand their PSU's as using 100% Japanese quality brand capacitors (yet)

Seasonic made a good attempt but I had to question that when I found OST capacitors in a PSU from them, their answer was that they where only talking about the primary high voltage capacitor...

However they seem to have switched over to United Chemicon which is a great brand (top 5) but as I said before this can not be 100% relied upon that every new PSU they make will use the same good quality capacitors...
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes with yet another Antec PSU Ark42

I agree with the above, check your voltage output from that PSU with a digital multimeter, I dare say the definitive answer will become apparent, are you considering recapping this PSU?
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I prefer to order from Newegg, and there are a lot of different brands at http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...Power-Supplies
          Unfortunately, the cheapest one I see from these brands is around $95. Is that what it costs to get a decent power supply?
          I'll probably have to get that Seasonic 430W then in the not to distant future.

No, I don't plan on recapping the 480W Antec. I recapped quite a few Epox motherboards and I don't really want to spend all the time on that now.

Comment

Break your Newegg addiction , they do not have the best prices, customer service is paid for up front.

If you do not run a power hungry graphic card this unit will serve your system's needs http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-E5140GH

One review http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=24

Comment

Ark42 you have had your troubles. I suspect that with new power supply you may find the replaced DDR2 sticks check out alright. I have experienced motherboards, processors and memory thrown out, probably because of PS problems. When tested under good conditions they all worked just fine. Worth a check.

I wonder about cap failure on the 5VSB supply. This supply is usually regulated by a 5v regulator chip that should prevant any damaging voltage rise. If the input cap to this regulator lost capacity negative voltage drop outs may occur. If a cap on the regulator output failed to near zero capitance the regulator MAY oscillate causing problems. The latter would be rare. A Voltmeter as suggested is the ultimate test.
              Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
              Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
              160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
              Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
              160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
              Samsung 18x DVD writer
              Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
              33 way card reader
              Windows XP Pro SP3
              Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
              17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
              HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

"Bad caps in my PSU? It's more likely than you think."

I have an ANTEC Sonata case and PSU that's got a strange symptom. It has run fine for years, but for the last year or two, it simply won't power up unless I 'hotwire' the green wire to ground with a jumper. Once the system has POSTed, I can pull the jumper and it keeps going.

I'm thinking of doing the following
                http://www.expresshosting.net/howto/...to-turnon.html
                but with a momentary switch instead.

Eventually, I'll have to look at the caps inside...

Comment

Stavr0,

I'd check on the issue much sooner than later. Jumping power supplies is not my idea of fun, especially if it takes out other components.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Thornton
                    I'd check on the issue much sooner than later. Jumping power supplies is not my idea of fun, especially if it takes out other components.
                    PSU has been replaced. As I am typing this, I've got the ANTEC sitting on my lap, cover off.

One of the Fuhjyyu seems to be bulging a bit. Diameter is 12mm, height is 35mm. There are three of them, buried inside a forest of wire bundles, so they're difficult to see / get at. It's closest to the 12V (yellow) bundle. A second one, behind the 5v (red) bundle is also bulging. The last one next to 3.3v (orange) seems ok.

Comment

Don't forget the 10mm black caps for the standby supply they seem to be the ones that bulge first.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I'm glad it's out of your PC. Anyone here can recap them and they should last for some time. I've found that replacing some of the output caps can be a pain in the you know what. Good luck!

Comment

Re: Antec TruePower 2.0 480W - RMAed

Originally posted by Lance Thornton
                          I'm glad it's out of your PC. Anyone here can recap them and they should last for some time. I've found that replacing some of the output caps can be a pain in the you know what. Good luck!
                          Recap it myself?? Surely you jest. I've called them on their 3 year warranty, and have obtained an RMA. BTW in Canada, http://www.memofix.com handles repairs for Antec. I'll keep you posted on the results. Right now it cost me just over $10 to send it to Markham, Ont. If all goes well I should get back a replaced/recapped one in a few weeks.
                          Last edited by stavr0; 06-26-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                            Don't forget the 10mm black caps for the standby supply they seem to be the ones that bulge first.
                            I betcha that was the problem all along. If +5vsb is out of whack the motherboard may not be able to respond to the power-on switch properly.

Comment

Originally posted by stavr0
                              Recap it myself?? Surely you jest. I've called them on their 3 year warranty, and have obtained an RMA. BTW in Canada, http://www.memofix.com handles repairs for Antec. I'll keep you posted on the results. Right now it cost me just over $10 to send it to Markham, Ont. If all goes well I should get back a replaced/recapped one in a few weeks.
                              Originally posted by stavr0
                              PSU has been replaced. As I am typing this, I've got the ANTEC sitting on my lap, cover off.
                              Welcome to the world of VOIDED YOUR WARRANTY

I know it's a bit late now... but if you intend to return a product for warranty repair OR replacement you DON'T disassemble it
                              Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion

I know it's a bit late now... but if you intend to return a product for warranty repair OR replacement you DON'T disassemble it

How else are you supposed to determine a failure? Look through the fan with a flash light and find that bulging cap on the inside of a heatsink.

They put those labels on to encourage electrical shock.

Comment

Re: Antec TruePower 2.0 480W - RMAed - Returned!

Originally posted by tazwegion
                                  Ohh. That's what that sticker that the heat detached from the PSU says .... ... I carefully glued it back after inspection.

But this post is to tell y'all that I've just received the replacement. It's a brand new Earthpower 500W.

In summary:
                                  RMA opened June 20
                                  Defective PSU shipped June 30
                                  Received July 2 by Memofix
                                  Replacement sent and received July 3

Comment

It's good to know that not only can't Antec find good caps, they can't find good glue for their stickers either. At least incompetence is good for something.

For what I paid for them compared to what they will destroy at the appointed time, I just bust them open. Darn the warranty, full speed ahead.
                                    sig files are for morons

Comment

If by warranty you mean chuck the supply you send to them into a landfill and send you an equally deficient piece of crap ?

Man I wish that they'd send them to me to recap and resell .

I just purchased a 500 watt Smartpower 2.0 from Amazon used in working condition for 30 bucks this will be my 3rd Smartpower recap.

For what I pay for them after a recap they are good supplies and they won't burn a hole in your pocket either.

I already have the caps I need for the recap since I made a list last time and ordered extras .

Since you brought it up whats the word on the Antec Earthpower?

Are they finally using Teapo grade caps or what?

Have they at least departed from Fukyuu?
                                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM.
                                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                                      X