Transonic TC2884STB DVB-T HDTV Tuner STB - unknown capacitor brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transonic TC2884STB DVB-T HDTV Tuner STB - unknown capacitor brand

Got a Transonic TC2884STB here (Transonic is a brand 'exclusive' to a cheap department store in NZ) but no doubt from some big Chinese OEM.

Symptoms: Turns on but remote\buttons unresponsive. Doesn't output video signal.

I can make it work by blasting the mainboard with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes. This leads me to suspect marginal capacitors.

The problem is they are brands I have not heard of and (so far) cannot find online.

The PSU uses "KSJ" with no series (but the variety of sleeve colours probably means the series are colour-coded rather than labelled)

The mainboard uses "SWC" and they all appear to be "KM Series"
    They do turn up here: http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/s_other.html#swc but there is no web address.
    They all seem to be either 10, 100, 220 or 470uF.

What would be an advisable series as a general (and cheap) replacement, assuming no datasheets can be found?
    Attached Files
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Transonic TC2884STB DVB-T HDTV Tuner STB - unknown capacitor brand

It's worth a shot replacing those capacitors, but based on "heating it makes it work" it could also be some surface mount stuff (ceramic resistor or capacitor) make contact with pcb once the copper on pcb expands with heat.

Yeah, standard capacitors should do it, I don't think you need to use anything fancy.

Comment

Any recommendation for a suitable brand\series? I normally lookup the original datasheet but in this case can't find it.

I assume Panasonic FC or similar would be a sensible choice - Low ESR but not super low.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Just found the same looking caps in a Laser brand DVD player, model HD0020 from a cheap department store here in Australia (Kmart)
        The one marked KSJ had LOWESR written on it, so I used a Rubycon MCZ to replace it... mostly because that's all I had here at home.
        I only replaced the one suspiciously bulging cap, then replaced the power board and bench tested it and it seems to be working ok.
        Might consider ordering replacements for the rest of the board too before it goes back into service.

Attached Files
        Last edited by Orpheous; 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I'd say replace the lot, without even a website it's going to be a crap capacitor brand.

I have some for this TC2884STB on order, which should ship today, will post here what the results are
          -David VanHorn

Comment

I think I will. It's a friends DVD player. Finding a supplier of decent caps here in Australia can be painful though if you don't want to wait for an international order and they're not the ones I usually keep on hand, but I'm sure she won't mind waiting a little while to get it running again.

Comment

Originally posted by Orpheous View Post
              Finding a supplier of decent caps here in Australia can be painful though
              Tried RS Components or Farnell? That's where I buy mine.
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks for that! Last time I stocked up was a few years back. I bought from The Cap King and this main site. Completely forgot about those two that you mentioned! If they have Aussie stock I'll order some in for that and a couple of other jobs that have been lying around for too long

Comment

They should have more than enough Even if they don't, they usually have USA or UK stock they can backorder and ship in a week or so, and you don't pay extra shipping either.

Badcaps.net has good stuff too but if you're like me and just do a small order occasionally, the international shipping is a big problem, unfortunately.
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Finished work at 5am. Just got home. I checked both RS and Element14 for Nichicon PW series caps in the right ratings. Went through the shopping cart, element14 (formerly Farnell) only allows a minimum of 5 or 10 of each. I only need 1 x 400V 10uF, 1 x 50V 22uF and 3 x 100uF caps.
                    Both shopping carts came to just under $20 including freight!
                    I'd hate to have to go back to Jaycar for Samxon and Capxon's, but I can get all 5 there for $4.50 :/ Grrr

Comment

Samxon are okay except the GF and GK series. Samxon KM should be suitable replacements.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll drop in to the local branch after the weekend. The Jaycar site doesn't specify series or brand, just basic specs and a generic picture that's too blurry to see:

or one with multiple caps in it:

Comment

Originally posted by Orpheous View Post
                          Finished work at 5am. Just got home. I checked both RS and Element14 for Nichicon PW series caps in the right ratings. Went through the shopping cart, element14 (formerly Farnell) only allows a minimum of 5 or 10 of each. I only need 1 x 400V 10uF, 1 x 50V 22uF and 3 x 100uF caps.
                          Both shopping carts came to just under $20 including freight!
                          I'd hate to have to go back to Jaycar for Samxon and Capxon's, but I can get all 5 there for $4.50 :/ Grrr
                          It doesn't have to be Nichicon PW, you could buy a comparable series from another manufacturer. I do notice that RS New Zealand has often 5 MOQ for most things, but Farnell often you can buy just one.

Is Jaycar actually selling CapXon? If they are that's pathetic, CapXon are useless.
                          Samxon would be OK though. BUT my local Jaycar sells only "Suntan" brand, while the photos online say Samxon, so beware... that's why I don't bother, just go to RS usually.
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

I recapped this one yesterday, unfortunately the problem has not been resolved. At first test it did the same thing, no video output and buttons\remote not responding.

I tried it a few more times and after the CPU heatsink became warm it worked, a-ha I thought, perhaps it's bad BGA soldering here?

Problem is I tried it again last night and this morning when it was stone cold and it worked just fine, where before it had not done so as I recall. So this looks like some pain in the ass intermittent that may or may not be heat related. Great.
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                            X