This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Delta makes both high end, and lower end (but usually with quality parts) for OEMs like Gateway, HP etc

The power supply will be OK, it will do what it says on the label, but in just an average way.. average efficiency, average noise, average ripple on the voltage rails but all within standards etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tleu8472 View Post
      Anyone know if the Delta Greenpower M300W is any good?
      Note the input frequency range! 43Hz to 63Hz
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Also note the 200mV of ripple/noise specified on the second +12V rail on that datasheet (unless they mean the combined noise and ripple of both rails)! 120mV is the ATX limit so average ripple suppression ability indeed...
        Last edited by Wester547; 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Really??? Delta would stoop that low???

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
            Note the input frequency range! 43Hz to 63Hz
            47 to 63Hz. That's standard for all PSUs nowadays. Don't ask me why, but you find this rating on all of them. But yes, the ripple spec is worrying.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Not an ATX power supply exactly, but i thought i'd still post it. It's a Thermaltake ActiveCool AC4GT, the power supply and controller for the AC4G peltier cooling system. It takes input from the mains and outputs probably 12v or so. Output is one molex and an 8 pin jack that looks like an 8pin pci-e or CPU power. All capacitors are Nichicon and SamXon, both high quality parts. Switchers are both SB20100. The fan is a UnitedPRO 5v 0.15a and it looks like it's powered from the pci bus 5v output, so this thing has no 5v "rail" on it. The other silicon device is a TOP249Y. Anyone have any idea what to do with it? I don't have the rest of this cooling system, only the controller card. Maybe it can be converted into a power supply to power extra cards and HDDs? If nobody has any ideas then i'm just going to part it out.

Attached Files
              Last edited by DJduck; 04-14-2013, 07:14 AM.
              I can put text here?!

Comment

Originally posted by DJduck View Post
                Not an ATX power supply exactly, but i thought i'd still post it. It's a Thermaltake ActiveCool AC4GT, the power supply and controller for the AC4G peltier cooling system. It takes input from the mains and outputs probably 12v or so. Output is one molex and an 8 pin jack that looks like an 8pin pci-e or CPU power. All capacitors are Nichicon and SamXon, both high quality parts. Switchers are both SB20100. The fan is a UnitedPRO 5v 0.15a and it looks like it's powered from the pci bus 5v output, so this thing has no 5v "rail" on it. The other silicon device is a TOP249Y. Anyone have any idea what to do with it? I don't have the rest of this cooling system, only the controller card. Maybe it can be converted into a power supply to power extra cards and HDDs? If nobody has any ideas then i'm just going to part it out.

Nice, never seen one of those before.

The switcher heatsink is out in the open, I hope it is grounded!

I assume you could do some back tracking on the secondary side and get it to run as a standalone psu.
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I tried, but it won't turn on unless it gets a command from the pc, and shorting on off pins wont help. It's an interesting piece of kit, but since it is pretty useless i just parted it out. I know a guy who has more of them, all i need to do is ask And the switchers heatsink was not grounded, they even put plastic washers between the switcher and the screw.
                  I can put text here?!

Comment

Making yourself a peltier cooler isn't an option?
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Don't have a peltier, and i already have a good cooler. Plus, i don't think the card worked, at least i got nothing out of it, and i couldn't bother fixing it.
                      I can put text here?!

Comment

I picked up this Huntkey GS-LW-6550HG for about US$10. It says peak power of 550W on the label. How does it look? The capacitors on the secondary (Fcon and KSC) are hidden under those cables. I am worried that this may severely restrict the airflow from the fan onto the caps. Should I try to re-route those cables?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Not 650w. Not even 550w. I'd say 400 max.
                          I can put text here?!

Comment

It could probably do 400W with good cooling but I wouldn't want to push it past that. What are the specs on the label?
                            Last edited by Pentium4; 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Stable and good at 330w (85% efficiency there) , fails ripple and noise at 420w , blows up at more than that.

Review here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/668/1

So if you have a simple computer, with just one video card and a couple of hard drives, than that system's load won't be more than 200watts or so and this psu would be good. It would be then worth replacing a few capacitors.

For biggers systems, just no.

Comment

That's a Huntkey, which compared to the truly gutless wonders seen in the gutless PSU thread is a decent power supply. Note that Hardware Secrets test their PSUs at 45*C-50*C room temperature.... unlikely that your room temperature will always be that hot if ever. As for the wires covering the capacitors, that PSU has an 140mm fan so it shouldn't be starved of airflow that much... it looks like it would be quite a decent PSU after a recap (note that it does use 20 gauge wires to some extent). As the review says, it has two 20A parts in parallel for the +12V rail and a 40A part for the +3.3V and +5V rails (looks like it has decent inductors, coils, and x2 2200uF capacitors per rail for the three major ones)... it has a 39 size transformer as well and 1000uF x2 in the voltage doubler (or 500uF, 400V). I'm sure it could handle your computer and I'm sure it would do 425W just fine so long as you don't push it past that. Based on the review, my guess is that it would be 80% efficient or slightly higher at 70% of its "peak" load or below, which isn't bad. It's unlikely your computer will ever reach a 400W load anyway.
                                Last edited by Wester547; 04-17-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I really like this power supply....I think it is overbuilt considering the label and I like that

Input has 3 X caps, 3 coils, 3 Y caps, 2 MOV's, GBU606 rectifier, 680uF Teapo caps

13009 switchers, unfortunately I can't see the specs of the 5VSB transistor. transformer is huge for a 300W! Looks like size 39

Secondary silicon has 30A schottky for the minor rails, and two 20A schottky's for the 12V, all parts made by ST. And looks like it uses DC-DC conversion? All the caps are Teapo and CapXon, as you can see that 3300uF 16V CapXon cap on the 12V is leaking a little It has a ball bearing Adda fan. Definitely going to recap this when I have some time
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I believe I see a second toroidal coil on the secondary but there should be a third toroid to complete the mag-amp circuit, so I don't think it uses DC-DC conversion. It looks like it will be a good unit after a recap... I hope that isn't a two-transistor forward +5VSB circuit it has or that with self-oscillating feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                      I believe I see a second toroidal coil on the secondary but there should be a third toroid to complete the mag-amp circuit, so I don't think it uses DC-DC conversion. It looks like it will be a good unit after a recap... I hope that isn't a two-transistor forward +5VSB circuit it has or that with self-oscillating feedback.
                                      It's not two transistor forward, it looks like it has a little optocoupler down there
                                      Attached Files

Comment

2-transistor uses an optocoupler too.

Generally if you don't see a little ~8 pin IC next to the standby switcher, it's probably a 2-transistor circuit. More so if you see tiny signal-rated poly film caps, that's a dead giveaway as you rarely see them in supplies using a controller IC.
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                          2-transistor uses an optocoupler too.

Generally if you don't see a little ~8 pin IC next to the standby switcher, it's probably a 2-transistor circuit. More so if you see tiny signal-rated poly film caps, that's a dead giveaway as you rarely see them in supplies using a controller IC.
                                          Thanks for correcting me, still have a lot to learn. I don't know what it does for 5VSB then

Comment

Working...
                                          X