Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why have almost all my failed motherboards been ECS brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why have almost all my failed motherboards been ECS brand?

ECS is the only brand I've had that failed and didn't show any obvious symptoms (at least to a non-tech like me) like bad caps, diodes, fuses, or transistors. When every other brand failed, I could replace some of those parts and get the mobo running again. Also when a cap did pop, every ECS mobo rebooted or shut down, while the other brands kept chugging along as if nothing had occurred.

I'm not overclocking or using high-power CPUs or video.

I'm asking because I just bought another ECS (G41T-M7), although it's supposed to be free after rebate.

Re: Why have almost all my failed motherboards been ECS brand?

I think you answered it yourself - because they're crap. ECS uses the bare minimum of components required, they're known for being cheap, not reliable.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Next time get ASUS, it is simple as move and you get at the safe side.

I have lost faith to all the others, few months back, an very expensive Gigabyte stopped booting with out reason.
      No more experiments, medium or high priced ASUS boards is all that I am touching those days.

Comment

Medium-priced Asus boards always use Apaq capacitors (If not in the VRM, then scattered in other locations), whereas you can find $100+ Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar with Sanyo SEPC, UCC PSK, or Nichicon LF caps. Stay away from Asus unless you're buying their $200+ boards.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
          ECS uses the bare minimum of components required, they're known for being cheap, not reliable.
          +1. The reason for the failures is that ECS are junk

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
          Next time get ASUS, it is simple as move and you get at the safe side.

I have lost faith to all the others, few months back, an very expensive Gigabyte stopped booting with out reason.
          No more experiments, medium or high priced ASUS boards is all that I am touching those days.
          Most of the experts here (myself included) disagree. ASUS are just as bad for build quality as ECS. If you want a reliable board, then Supermico, Intel or Gigabyte.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          Stay away from Asus unless you're buying their $200+ boards.
          Even the high end ones can be hit and miss
          Last edited by c_hegge; 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

ECS used to be pretty good back in the early 90s, but they bought or got bought by some company that was horrible. I forget the name PCChips or something like that? And went downhill fast. You couldn't run fast enough to give me an Asus motherboard.

Against my better judgement I did buy an Asus wireless router last week, it's supposed to be a well-respected model, we'll see.....
            36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
              ECS used to be pretty good back in the early 90s, but they bought or got bought by some company that was horrible. I forget the name PCChips or something like that? And went downhill fast. You couldn't run fast enough to give me an Asus motherboard.
              Yeah, it was PCChips.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Most of the experts here (myself included) disagree. ASUS are just as bad for build quality as ECS. If you want a reliable board, then Supermico, Intel or Gigabyte.
                Stay far, far away from Intel, who still insists on using UCC KZG electrolytics even on their higher-end $150+ boards.

Even the high end ones can be hit and miss
                The newer gen high end boards are looking pretty good so far.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  Stay far, far away from Intel, who still insists on using UCC KZG electrolytics even on their higher-end $150+ boards.
                  KZG are discontinued, so that won't be happening for long.

Comment

All KZG class caps are discontinued... The question is which polymers will they use in place?

Intel using Capxon polymer and an unknown brand polymer (Possibly Matsuki/Lelon) in their latest generation flagship ($250+) motherboard:
                    Intel BOXDZ77RE75K

KZG in a $75+ B75 budget board:
                    Intel BOXDB75EN

Comment

Agree on intel boards, had one in not too long ago. Full of bloated KZGs, required a bunch of Ruby MBZ to fix. Asus is crap too, had to fix a shorted VRM caused by auto voltage settings when overclocking - the board was so smart, it blew itself.

I remain biased towards Gigabyte. Biostar makes some decent stuff nowadays as well.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Looks that every converstation turn around capacitors.

Hey world... when I am saying my opinion I have and the features in mind.

Since 1995, I have use about 17 motherbords in my own system.
                        Mostly ABIT & ASUS, one MSI which was good at stock speeds, and one GIGABYTE.

Asus P4C800E Deluxe - Failed due shortcut caused by a USB memory stick.
                        Asus policy 5 years waranty.. they did honor it, I got a replacement.

GIGABYTE EP35C-DS3R sudenly failed to boot, it does reboot cycles but no beep and start.
                        GIGABYTE waranty is a joke, the company hides it self from the users and the problems.

Now days I got one fine LCR meter, I will check for capacitors issues, but this is not what a regular computer user has in mind when bying one MB.

My last MB an ASUS P5QC with three years waranty, this December I will complete my first 12 months with it.

Comment

GIGABYTE EP35C-DS3R sudenly failed to boot, it does reboot cycles but no beep and start.
                          That's a known issue. Tried removing the CMOS battery and leaving it out for a day or so? And of course every discussion turns around capacitors: this is Badcaps.net after all.

Comment

Intel aren't my first preference, but they are usually very reliable when they don't use bad caps, and I'll pick one over ASUS any day. My brother had a D945GTP, and that thing came with rubycon MBZ, and it's been fine. The CPU is a Pentium D, so who cares about the lack of OCing features?

Hey world... when I am saying my opinion I have and the features in mind.
                            Who cares about the features if the board dies young?
                            Last edited by c_hegge; 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

My failures with ECS mobos happened years after recapping or with original caps that looked good and measured good for capacitance and ESR (out of circuit).

OTOH my even older recapped ECS K7S5A Pro and a P4S5A2 mobos are reportedly still running well, and when I first got them they were full of leaky G-Luxons.

Also the Asrock mobos had loads of low quality Ltec caps that failed, but the mobos apparently had no other damage.

This new ECS is full of polymer and Sanyo caps but has a few OSTs
                              Last edited by larrymoencurly; 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I like ECS and Biostar.
                                Intel motherboards the worst, doesn't Asus make them?

Comment

^
                                  Intel are usually made by Foxconn, but ASUS have made a few models.

Comment

I have an ECS board with almost purely Panasonic caps, and it's got over 25,000 running hours on it. The only non Panny's are the OST near the PCI slots. I think ECS is better than Biostar.

Comment

I've only ever seen two Biostar boards that I can remember, so I really don't know much about them.

Comment

Biostar has some decent stuff from the $150~ range and up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X