GA-K8NSNXP-939 query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-K8NSNXP-939 query?

got this board recently, and it is not functional. i am thinking of redoing some caps to possibly revive it. i already have a rig with this exact model of motherboard, and i want to make sure i have a functional replacement when it decides to expire. the only reason for not upgrading to a new board is sentimental. this rig was my first build, and i still use it for web browsing and simple games. i have other rigs for heavy gaming, but would like to keep my first rig around.

the board in question will do several things when powered up. (all installed components are fully functional,from the rig i have). sometimes there is no POST at all, PSU runs,CPU fan runs, but nothing else. sometimes i get the long beep error, meaning no memory detected. and a few times i could actually get into the BIOS for a few seconds which is followed by a blue screen, showing some partial lines , as if maybe the BIOS display is corrupted. this not a BSOD, but rather the blue is the BIOS blue.

also, after many tries to get this going, i noticed something else. the heatsink fan on the northbridge will slightly jerk on power-up,for a microsecond, then stop.every time i power the board up, same thing.this was probably happening right along, but i failed to notice at first.i am not sure, but i think this is a result of alternating current not being correctly ransformed to the steady current the fan needs. i could be way off, as i only had a few courses in electrical engineering, and that was almost 40 years ago.

i am providing a picture of the board which shows two obvious bulging caps, they are circled as well as the affected heatsink fan. no other caps seem to be bulging at all, but i realize that that might not mean they are still good.

so after all this, my questions are: could these bad caps possibly be the root of the problem, and could i get away with just replacing the two? my reason for trying to avoid doing them all is the fact i have essential tremor, and doing small work can be difficult.(even at 10, i had a hard time making plastic models!)

i hope this post was not too long.if more info is needed, please ask and i will provide it as much as possible.
    Attached Files

Re: GA-K8NSNXP-939 query?

Bulged caps can stop a motherboard from operating. Please supply the brand name of the caps, the uf and voltage rating and the diameter so we can recommend replacements.

Comment

I'm guessing the bulged ones are 1000uF 6.3V Chemi-con KZG. https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131 would be a good replacement. Replace ALL of the KZG caps, bulged or not, becuase they are known junk and will often go bad with no visible signs whatsoever.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

thanks for the responses. they are KZG. looks like i might have extra work for me to do! do you also mean that i should replace all the 3300 uF KZG caps? i just want to be absolutely sure, before i order caps. thanks for any info.

Comment

^
          Yes. Replace all of the KZGs on the board that are 470uF and higher.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
          X