ROG G512li No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ROG G512li No power

Thanks @reformatt - looks like that software has potential.

Comment

So I was able to use AsProgramer, the latest version to set QE=1. It was actually not as difficult as I thought it would be using the information found @ https://forum.reveltronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=280 ... "To enable QE you need to set S9 to "1"
      So Status Register 2 (S15-S8) should has binary value 0000 0010, which is 0x02 in hex (you can use windows calculator for conversion between binary and hex if you not familiar with that)." ... That was easy in the new version of AsProgramer as under "Status Register#2" it now shows a checkbox for QE. Once I checked that box and clicked on the "write" button, then read the "SREG" it now shows register 2 (S15-S8) has binary value 0000 0010, indicating QE=1. ... I don't believe I missed anything, so if that's not the problem I'm still not sure what could be stoping this laptop from powering up.

Comment

I think it still needs a hardware mod
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=40
        http://apkservice.ru/articles/28-sof...na-ch341a.html
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Yikes! Thanks SMDFlea! ... I have read some of this now, but I will look at it carefully later today. Sounds like it is very bad news for my situation though

Comment

I'm not so sure how to tell if I have been able to successfully get the chip into QE=1 ... Everything I read says is it shows register 2 (S15-S8) has binary value 0000 0010, then QE=1. The link posted may be true, but I think because this board may have been set up for QE=1, then maybe it would not apply. Would that be the case. As for power rails on the board, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree in the first place. I do not show power at 3VA_DSW_PWRGD (although I'm not sure what need to be connected to the board to see power on this rail.)

Comment

When you purchased this IC from the vendor - the part # defines that the factory (Winbond) pre-programs the QE bit to '1'.

Comment

Ok, that would make sense to me, but when I checked register 2 (S15-S8) had binary value 0000 0000 before I changed it in AsProgramer. Another thing I did before that was unprotect the firmware on that chip. It warned me that it may not be reversible, but I still went ahead and did it. I do have a backup of the original chip, but if I were to restore it, would all of those settings be restored as well? Also, would there be a known good copy of the firmware for this chip that's setup for this exact model of laptop if I need to find a copy? ... I am full of questions, sorry, but all of this hep is certainly appreciated and I'm learning a bunch on the way through.

Comment

Post the full topside markings of the chip you are programming. Then we can review the datasheet and confirm the register details.

From my past experience of such flash memory devices, the registers such as the QE bit settings are not saved in the read binary image. Only the contents of the flash are saved to a binary file.

Cannot comment on the bios image file but someone should have one available. This request must be made in the BIOS section of the forum.

It would not hurt to make this request so you can test it.

Also, if there is a local EC controller flash - often a lower density device - post the full topside markings of that part and also request a clean image of that firmware in the BIOS forum.

Armed with both, you can rule out bad images of the bios chips.

Comment

Thanks for the info mon2! I will post the images of the chips soon!

Comment

He is the photos of the chips. The Winbond is the lower density chip that I'm mostly been asking about here. The other is the higher density...
                      Attached Files

Comment

I will also post in the BIOS forum once I hear from you on this! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                        X