Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original Xbox Replacement Caps

0.22uF/50V according to here.

I guess film would be one alternative if one can source the right pitch... and provided the presumably much lower ESR doesn't cause any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Xan03 View Post
      I actually went ahead and did some pictures of the PSU, there's some discoloration on the PCB between a diode, resistor and ceramic cap (?), did anyone see that before?
      Might be the snubber circuit for the standby PS or perhaps the primary-side auxiliary rail rectifier.

I know on some older Delta PC ATX PSU designs, the primary-side auxiliary rail rectifier diode would discolor like that. Delta typically used a 1N4002 there, which is just a regular diode and not even a fast-recovery type. I haven't seen one fail in an old Delta PSU like that, though. Both my DPS-300KB-1 and slightly newer DPS-300AP-15b had that darkening of the PCB. I tried a more powerful fast-recovery type (FR153) for that diode in both units, but the DPS-300KB did NOT like it at all - its 2-transistor 5VSB circuit started oscillating and screeching badly. The DPS-300AP-15b was OK with that substitution, though.

With that said, I can't really recommend anyone to do the same with this PSU... if that diode even has the same function (I haven't determined that yet - would need more pictures of the top and bottom of the PCB of that area.)

But chances are, the PSU will probably function with that hot diode for many more years. On the other hand, if the caps for the standby circuit go bad, there is a chance that diode could go up in smoke too. So that's probably a good reason to recap those Ltecs if time and budget allows.

By the way, what's the story on those sub-1uF electrolytics? I don't see any Panasonic etc. for sale with such low capacity so I guess you replace them just with whatever is available?
      I probably wouldn't even worry about them.
      With such a small capacity, their ESR probably hardly matters. GP 105C caps should be fine. Or entry level like Nichicon PW/PM/PS/PJ and Rubycon YXJ are good alternatives to Panny FC (and likely cheaper too.)

Or use film caps, as sjt suggested.

I guess film would be one alternative if one can source the right pitch... and provided the presumably much lower ESR doesn't cause any issues.
      It shouldn't.

My guess is they went with electrolytic, because above approximately 0.1 uF, film caps start to get more pricey and a bit too large.

Comment

Hi all, I have read through the post and even if there seems to have substitute to the Nichicon HM 3300uF ones proposed, they do not match ESR or ripple current (12mohm and 280Arms). I found Panasonic FJ matches exactly but seems an odd product that we cannot find... Any of you have a try with polymer? Even if this is more expansive.
        Thank you
        Last edited by Armandooooo; 01-27-2021, 05:42 AM.

Comment

3300uf in what position? infront of the cpu?

Comment

Panasonic FR 3300uF 6.3V worked for me to replace those, it's a bit worse in specs yes but who knows for how long Nichicon HM of that vintage ever worked according to their spec so it may barely be a downgrade in practice. One could even go for the 16V version if feeling very adventurous, which is basically even superior to the original cap, but you'd probably have to install them at an angle to get around the bigger size.

If you want to just go the poly route there's plenty of reports here if you look back in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Armandooooo View Post
              Hi all, I have read through the post and even if there seems to have substitute to the Nichicon HM 3300uF ones proposed, they do not match ESR or ripple current (12mohm and 280Arms). I found Panasonic FJ matches exactly but seems an odd product that we cannot find... Any of you have a try with polymer? Even if this is more expansive.
              Thank you
              Nichicon UHV and Rubycon ZLQ are my go to. If you are working on a 1.6, you need to go ZLQ as the 12.5mm width of the Nichicon's are a little too wide.
              Here is a 1.6 I did with the Rubycon ZLQ's https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=160

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...C10X25/6049998

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...332MHD/2598225
              Last edited by jayjr1105; 01-27-2021, 09:36 AM.
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              Ryzen 3600x
              16GB Patriot 3600MHz
              MSI B450 Gaming Plus
              MSI Air Boost Vega 56
              Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
              Rosewill Capstone 750W
              Hakko FX-888D Station
              FX-8802 Iron
              MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Problem with that is you can't really get those caps in Europe and shipping from overseas will cost about 10x more than the parts themselves.

Comment

Problem with that is you can't really get those caps in Europe and shipping from overseas will cost about 10x more than the parts themselves.
                  Why not, just because I used a US based site, doesn't mean you can't search those part numbers in Europe based distributors.
                  Ryzen 3600x
                  16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                  MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                  MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                  Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                  Rosewill Capstone 750W
                  Hakko FX-888D Station
                  FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Because local distributors just don't stock them? And yes I could order from Mouser, Digikey etc. but that's where the aforementioned shipping and customs come in.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      3300uf in what position? infront of the cpu?
                      Yes, correct, the famous bulging ones!!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                        Nichicon UHV and Rubycon ZLQ are my go to. If you are working on a 1.6, you need to go ZLQ as the 12.5mm width of the Nichicon's are a little too wide.
                        Here is a 1.6 I did with the Rubycon ZLQ's https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=160

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...C10X25/6049998

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...332MHD/2598225
                        Hi all,

The ZLQ does not exist in 3300uF and for the uhv I see their specs are 16mohm and 2500mArms, which is close but still a bit far off. Are they working fine with those?

Thank you

Comment

Hi all,

The ZLQ does not exist in 3300uF and for the uhv I see their specs are 16mohm and 2500mArms, which is close but still a bit far off. Are they working fine with those?

Thank you
                          It's the best you can get in an electrolytic anymore since ultra low ESR electrolytic's are a thing of the past. Panasonic Might have 1 that is slightly better mArms but ESR is 20mohm.
                          Ryzen 3600x
                          16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                          MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                          MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                          Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                          Rosewill Capstone 750W
                          Hakko FX-888D Station
                          FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Yes, correct, the famous bulging ones!!
                            well if you have 5 positions then use 5x 1500uf polymers

if you have a 1.6 board with only 3 spaces then use 3x 2000uf polymers

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              well if you have 5 positions then use 5x 1500uf polymers

if you have a 1.6 board with only 3 spaces then use 3x 2000uf polymers
                              Sorry for the question but 3300x3=9900 isn't it different from 5x1500=7500? Or there is another factor I don't get?

Comment

Sorry for the question but 3300x3=9900 isn't it different from 5x1500=7500? Or there is another factor I don't get?
                                It was originally spec'd with five 1500 caps which = 7500uf. Polymers you can get away with lower capacitance since they are a much more stout cap.

Anywhere from 6-10,000uf you'll be fine.
                                Ryzen 3600x
                                16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                                MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                                MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                                Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                                Rosewill Capstone 750W
                                Hakko FX-888D Station
                                FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Repost from EmuXtras Forum:

I made a post on BadCaps way back in 2015 in regards to replacement capacitors
                                  for the Original Xbox Console. That thread has since 60,000 plus views...
                                  Special thanks to "STJ" from BadCaps for he's contributions on that thread and others.
                                  Using that thread and all the posts within it I was able to create a comprehensive list.

The spreadsheet consist of a summary and a detailed list including designators.
                                  There are separate pages for v1.1-1.0, v1.2-1.5 and v1.6-1.6b motherboards.
                                  As a basic rule of thumb the larger the capacitor the shorter the lifespan.
                                  It's highly recommended to replace the CPU and Clock capacitors as shown in
                                  the priority column. Medium priority is optional where as low is unnecessary.

I opted for Kemet Polymer Capacitors for the CPU capacitors and Nichicon for all the
                                  other Electrolytic Capacitors. I've installed, tested and confirmed all of these capacitors.
                                  It's possible to use other manufacturers by sticking to the specifications within the spreadsheet.

https://www.docdroid.net/KjoNVm8/ogx...capacitors-pdf

I hope this helps people out...

Comment

Great work NEMESIS!

That really ties us all of the information from all of the posts into one easy to understand piece. Again, nicely done!

Comment

Thanks I actually fixed it up a bit...

https://www.docdroid.net/45Rfxyw/replacement-guide-pdf

I ended up dubbing the spreadsheet as a "Reference Guide" as availability may vary. Using the capacitors part numbers listed on the spreadsheet as a reference it shouldn't be too difficult in finding alternative components. However if you feel that this is out of your scope you can just follow the the suggested part numbers.

Capacitor Specifications:

Are based on the stock capacitors specifications, I did have to average out some of the sizes as they do vary a little from motherboard to motherboard but most important are lead spacings for the Through Hole (TH) capacitors.

Reference Capacitors:

I ended up using "Kemet" and "Nichicon" as references as they were the only two manufacturers that had all the capacitors at the specifications that we needed. This was mostly to put my (and I'm sure others) OCD at ease. I would recommend Polymers for the CPU and PSU capacitors whereas the others can be either Polymer or Electrolytic. I did reference for both but if you were to go all Polymer capacitors with Nichicon it will get very expensive. As a cheaper but still reliable alternative I would recommend Kemet.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-02-2023, 11:23 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Here are examples of Kemet Polymer Capacitor Replacement.

Note: I would recommend replacing 4-5 capacitors or even less depending on skill level and then test the console to make sure it still boots. If it does not boot you will have to figure out which capacitor is not working. I think I used too much heat on one cap and killed it...

Xbox Versions 1.0 - 1.1

Xbox Versions 1.2 - 1.5

Xbox Versions 1.6 - 1.6b

Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-02-2023, 11:23 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded

Comment

Again, nice work NeMesiS34!

Anyone else think this thread should be stickied?

Seems like a common recapping solution has been found for pretty much any of these boards now.

Comment

Working...
                                          X