Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help wiring up 240VAC.

Hello,

I have a device that is listed as drawing 7300VA. I take it VA are just V * A? So if I divide by 240V, I get 30.417 Amps. If I divide by 220V, I get 33.182 Amps.

We have 1-phase coming into the house, 200-amp breaker. What would be the best way to wire this up? Use just 20-amp breakers? The plug is an IEC 60309 3-wire (blue), so I'd need to find an outlet for it. Don't think Home Depot or Lowes is gonna carry any outlets for that.

Also, this is for installation in my basement, I live in NY. I believe we have to use NM-B 12-3, wouldn't we? And just find an outlet that accepts the IEC 60309 3-wire? Gotta figure out how hard it'd be to hook the outlet up. We want to keep it up to code. Should I run the whole thing through conduit? I'm only going to be going about 11 foot, give or take, from the panel. Suggestions on how to do this proper like are greatly welcomed.

I've ran 240 before, but never a weird one, like this. I've done the NEMA L6-30-R's. What's odd is the professional electrician we hired to replace the main box and subpanel with a 200-amp panel, he ran conduit for the NEMA L6-30-R's, but only up the walls. Then he just ran it on the side of the 1st-floor floor joists (they're open down here) or under them, on the 2" part, and stapled them. Not sure if that's code or not, but I guess he's the best in the area, and the code enforcer passed it, NYSEG new him personally, and it took him very little time to do EVERYTHING! He's just very, very expensive.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Need help wiring up 240VAC.

Would this be what I'd need?
    Code:
    Description:	IEC 60309 (6H) 30 AMPERE-250 VOLT (C(UL)US), 32 AMPERE- 220 VOLT (OVE), 
    		WATERTIGHT (IP67) SURFACE MOUNT OUTLET WITH WALL BOX, "UNIVERSAL 
    		APPROVALS", 2 POLE-3 WIRE GROUNDING (2P+E), NYLON (POLYAMIDE BODY. 
    		BLUE. APPROVALS: (C(UL)US), (OVE), CERTIFICATIONS: REACH, RoHS, CE. 

OPERATING TEMP. -25°C +80°C.

Approvals:	C(UL)US, OVE

Certifications:	REACH, RoHS, CE

Standards:	IEC 60309-1, IEC 60309-2, EN 60309, CEE 17, BS 4343, DIN 49462, 
    		DIN 49463, VDE 0623, IEC 309, IEC 309-1, IEC 309-2
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 05-08-2018, 11:21 PM. Reason: Fixed Formatting

Comment

that's what i would use, but your close to the max - maybe go to the 63A ones.
      they shouldnt be too expensive btw - for 32A that socket should be $20-30.
      i say this because i'v seen some scumbags asking hundreds for them!

Comment

btw, why IP67??
        post a foto of your plug, i bet it's only an IP44 type.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          that's what i would use, but your close to the max - maybe go to the 63A ones.
          they shouldnt be too expensive btw - for 32A that socket should be $20-30.
          i say this because i'v seen some scumbags asking hundreds for them!
          Could you please post or PM a link to the one you're talking about that I can mount on a cement foundation that is rated for basements for 20$ - 30$? All the ones I've found are like you said, around 100$, if not more.

Comment

btw, why IP67??
            Forgive me for my negligence in this subject, AC is something I have a hard time understanding and have never done much with it. IP67, as in the 6 meaning protected from dust, and the second number, 7, meaning protected against the effects of immersion in water to depth between 15 cm and 1 meter?

If so, that's perfect. It's in our basement, where we still use tools to work on wood once in a while (the other side of the basement), and where when it rains, it sometimes leaks onto the floor, but doesn't go far.

We've had people look at it and they said the proper fix is to dig it up from the outside, seal it / fix it, then coat the inside. The previous people just did the inside. There's a hole now where they covered it up with some sort of almost cardboard looking thing and painted it.

My buddy Jason noticed it. He's really good at drywall and did it for a living for a bit, so he can see things that I cannot. And he noticed some sort of difference in something there and said what's this? We went over and I felt it and I'm like Jay! It feels like paper. Then I pushed my finger right through it, hoping I'd find hidden treasure or something! But no, just a hole.

Outside, we noticed the eaves trough in that area run the wrong way. I took a hose and started spraying it where the eaves trough would spill it out, and sure enough, straight into the basement the water went. You can tell they've resealed the inside multiple times. I think the water gets in there, then freezes and cracks stuff. I don't think they ever sealed the outside.

Comment

you mean you want to screw it to a surface and feed a conduit into the top?
              what is "basement rated" ?? something related to flooding?

i really need to see the plug you have,does it have a rotating locking ring with a rubber gasket in it??
              an ip67 socket is wasted money if you only have an ip44 plug - it will not seal.

Comment

this may help:
                https://www.rapidonline.com/europa-i...ection-23-2994

https://www.rapidonline.com/europa-i...ection-23-3016

i dont know what the shipping would be.
                Attached Files

Comment

btw, why IP67??
                  Wow, you are good Sir! That is for sure! You definitely know your AC! Hell, I'd feel comfortable with you hooking it up in my house. My neighbor offered too, but he hasn't seen it yet. He works for a company called Corning Appliance Corporation. They sell furnaces, central air, water softeners, etc. He does the wiring and says he can save me a few bucks and we can just run it ourselves. He knows what gauge wire you need for what current draw, but twenty to one, he's never seen a plug like this before! He says he just takes a pic, goes down to Home Depot, and finds the right one.

IP44. That means, 4 = protection against tools, wires, small wires, second 4 = Protection from sprays of water in all directions. Limited water ingress permitted?

I used Wikipedia to find information out about the plug, and it seems there some colour codings, so the one I picked, I thought it was what was supposed to go on the other end of this plug, because they're both blue, 3-prong / 3-hole. Figured they'd be rated for the same current as well.

If mine is blue and only rated for 30 Amp, like the one in the first pic I sent, is that safe? I'd think HPE would outsource to someone who knew what they where doing. This wasn't cheap.
                  Attached Files

Comment

you mean you want to screw it to a surface and feed a conduit into the top?
                    what is "basement rated" ?? something related to flooding?

i really need to see the plug you have,does it have a rotating locking ring with a rubber gasket in it??
                    an ip67 socket is wasted money if you only have an ip44 plug - it will not seal.
                    Sorry, I had to email the pics from my cell phone. It took longer than expected. It does say IP44 on the plug.

Here, in our basements or under the house, for Romex, for example, it needs to be UF-B, I think.

Code:
                    ...Type UF-B cable is generally used as feeder to outside post lamps, pumps, and other 
                    loads or apparatus fed from a distribution point in an existing building as specified 
                    in the National Electrical Code.1 UF-B cable may be used underground, including direct 
                    burial. Multiple conductor UF-B cable may be used for interior branch circuit wiring 
                    in residential or agricultural buildings at conductor temperatures not to exceed 90°C 
                    (with ampacity limited to that for 60°C conductors) as specified by the National 
                    Electrical Code. UF-B can be used in applications permitted for NMC in Section 
                    334.10(B) of the National Electrical Code. Voltage rating for UF-B cable is 600 volts.
                    NM-B:
                    Code:
                    ...Romex® SIMpull® Type NM-B (non-metallic sheathed cable) may be used for both 
                    exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations at temperatures not to exceed 
                    90°C (with ampacity limited to that for 60°C conductors) as specified in the National 
                    Electrical Code1 NM-B cable is primarily used in residential wiring as branch circuits 
                    for outlets, switches, and other loads. NM-B cable may be run in air voids of masonry 
                    block or tile walls where such walls are not subject to excessive moisture or 
                    dampness. Voltage rating for NM-B cable is 600 volts.
                    (source: https://www.southwire.com/products/R...TypeNMBOEM.htm )

It appears our fancy electrician used NM-B, and I believe that's just grandfathered in, for old construction. I think any new jobs, where you have to get a permit from the city, you need to follow the new code. For this job, I don't think my neighbor plans on getting a permit, but I think once he sees the physical outlet, he'll admit that he cannot do it. He doesn't bullshit anyone. If he can't do it, he'll tell me. Or if he doesn't feel safe doing it, he'll tell me.

And to answer your question, I need it attached to the wall somehow. Whether I attach a board to the cement wall, and then the outlet fixture to that, and run the conduit up out of the top, to the floor joists, and to the breaker panel, or I just attach it directly to the wall. I think the proper way is the board attached to the wall. Every outlet down here seems to be attached to a board, except the old power strip the previous owners installed, that's directly on the wall. It's like an old very long PDU. That's on the wall that leaks when I use the house out there. I don't like that.
                    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 05-09-2018, 05:37 AM. Reason: Fixed Formatting

Comment

second along.
                      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32A-...859442890.html

Comment

your plug is IP44,
                        the colour indicates the voltage.
                        120v = yellow
                        240v = blue
                        400v = red
                        if it's light purple - dont mess with it!

so about these building codes:
                        does the outlet need a specific safety mark?
                        UL for example?

Comment

hey, does that plug actually say 16 or 32A on it??

Comment

This is the 240VAC twist and lock NEMA L6-30-R he installed for my BGA rework station. I was thinking something like this. Just instead of a NEMA L6-30-R twist and lock, it'd be the proper one.

I have a liquid sensor for this, it goes around my rack. There's old copper piping above and if it breaks before we fix it, I'd rather not lose all of my hardware. I have a humidity and three temp sensors for the PDU as well. A few more add-on's, like door alarms. If someone opens the rack, even if it's me, we'll get a text message.

There's breakin's in this neighborhood every so often, and people have taken notice of all the big boxes I've had delivered recently that say stuff like Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Insight in big letters on the side. Inspector came up to me and asked if I saw anyone stealing anyones packages. I said no. My neighbor, she got her package stolen off her porch. I talked to the mail lady about it, she said it's all over this side of town. They don't know who's doing it. So I pay a bit more but require a signature. These two packages delivered yesterday (the PDU, the sensors for the PDU), the bastard just dropped them off. If Jess (my wife) wasn't looking out the window while she was closing the curtains, getting ready for bed, they would have stayed out there all night, and who knows who would have taken them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

lets fit one!
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-PIZufr7bY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShXpCg5yYc
                              Last edited by stj; 05-09-2018, 05:55 AM.

Comment

hey, does that plug actually say 16 or 32A on it??
                                32A-6H. Sorry it's taking me so long to respond. I stayed up all night working on the business. I gotta stop doing that. Daughter's going to wake up soon. When that happens, I'll disappear until around 2PM EST.

Comment

your plug is IP44,
                                  the colour indicates the voltage.
                                  120v = yellow
                                  240v = blue
                                  400v = red
                                  if it's light purple - dont mess with it!

so about these building codes:
                                  does the outlet need a specific safety mark?
                                  UL for example?
                                  I don't think it needs a special mark, it just needs to be rated for basements, essentially. I don't pretend to know the NEC (National Electric Code). I know a little bit of it, but not enough. That's why I came here and asked my original question, hoping someone who knew the code better would come along. Worse case, I guess I could pay the electrician a lot of money again, but like I said, I don't think that NM-B is basement rated, and he used that. I remember at my old place, when I ran 240VAC under the house, I had to use the UF-M stuff. And someone ran UF-M stuff down here, but it goes out to the garage, so maybe NM-B is rated for the basement? I'll ask the CAC guy. He knows the code and knows others who do as well.

Comment

Is aliexpress a good place to buy from? I thought that was generally cheap stuff, quality wise I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                                      This is the 240VAC twist and lock NEMA L6-30-R he installed for my BGA rework station. I was thinking something like this. Just instead of a NEMA L6-30-R twist and lock, it'd be the proper one.
                                      yea, that will work, top entry round threaded inlet.
                                      the 16A ones are 25mm - not sure about the 32mm ones, but you can get thread reducers.

Comment

I might go for that https://www.rapidonline.com/23-2994 That says it's meant to be mounted to something, so that's good.

Supposedly this plug is a plug used in the US, but I gotta say, I've never seen any plugs like this in my entire life. You're from Europe. Are these common over there? It was HPE tech support that said yeah, it's got an American 1-phase plug on it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X