Wintek and ASROCK MotherBoard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wintek and ASROCK MotherBoard

I had two Wintek/Winfast not sure which name is right (identical boards) over two years (I messed up the first one when I tried to update the Bios and it was, prior to that, working fine. Also needed a working computer straight away.) Anyway, the 2nd board lasted a year and then developed the faults mentioned on this site, noticed the caps were swollen so dug out the 1st board and swapped the cmos chip. Got a year out of that one too till the caps started swelling.I thought it was poor design, with the caps right next to the CPU heatsink!
    Didn't know about this site until today otherwise could have repaired them.
    I then bought an ASROCK K7S8XE + M/B got a year out of that (till last week) but the symptoms as described here started earlier, lockups,reboots,
    and having to push the reset button up to 20 times b4 the thing would actually initialize the video card!
    So now have an MSI PM8M2-V. Hope I'm not back in a year with the same "bad luck" yarn
    Last edited by codecode; 11-19-2005, 11:10 AM.

Re: Wintek and ASROCK MotherBoard

The pictures I see of that MSI board show the little blue caps, not sure of brand, around the cpu socket. Those did not last long on the Asus boards if I remember right.

Comment

The ASRock board, interestingly, has Rubicon Caps around the CPU and they are (look) in perfect condition, no swelling. Same with a brand called TEAPO.
      The brand that has swelled are around the ram slots and the AGP slot, away from the heat, and they are TAICON caps, green plastic sleeve, all 1000mfd/6.3v.
      Rubicon caps, I'm pretty sure have been around even before I was a radio apprentice 37 years ago, so maybe they kept their integrity intact. The Johnny come latelies?...well that's another story

Comment

Teapo are OK, but they've been known to sometimes fail quietly without bulging. If you're recapping it, recap both the Taicons and the Teapos.

Comment

Working...
        X