Emerson/Funai LF46EM4 no image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emerson/Funai LF46EM4 no image

Took the aluminum frame off the bottom of the display to look for visible damage to the LCD board but I could see none. I tested caps that my leads were small enough to get at and the one's I checked were OK. LCD board also has labeled test points; but I did not take measurements.

The FETs on my old T-Con were OK.

My new T-Con arrived and I hooked it up only to the mainboard. I got the same exact voltage readings on the new T-Con. Afterward I connected the LCD and still no picture.

Still unsure if the panel could be bad or if mainboard is the problem (remember I also do not receive any audio to the best of my attempts to switch to active input). Service troublehooting in a similar 39" Funai suggests these two possiblities as the issue. Options for mainboard look like either an EEPROM chip ($15) or send it in for repair ($55+shipping). I cannot find a direct replacement for the mainboard on this model TV. I could also try a board from a similar set if one exists (~$30) just to see if I get anything on the display. At that point I'd be sinking ~$100 already into a $400 set that still may not work. Spent about $30 for the backlight and new T-Con already.
    Last edited by Josh86; 06-19-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

You might have a money pit there, emerson gets some pretty bad reviews, here's some consumer affairs reports: https://www.google.com/search?client....0.I4ktGq8Z1H4

Comment

You might want to try a 15 dollar eeprom, if that don't work, I'd try to find another tv to fix, I don't trust emerson, especially after reading the reports.

Comment

Thanks; it's good to at least hear another opinion on it. My wife told me to immediately throw it away (usually she's always right).

Before replacing the backlight, the board/display was working, but shutting down because an entire row was out. Sometime during the breakdown I must have unseated a cable or shorted something because I was getting bad readings out of the LVDS to the TCON (and the cable was was hot to the touch on the supply line/pins). That problem is since gone, but now I get nothing on the display.

What I'll do is see if I can desolder the existing EEPROM. If it goes well; I'll order a new one (from shopjimmy since I don't know if I can trust the flash/programming from random ebay sellers -- I'll pay about $5 more, but I'd like to be sure).

I do see similar mainboards I could get (an Emerson 50" compared to my 46" , but I have no idea if the programming would cause display issues or even work with my panel correctly). I don't know anything about what's on those EEPROM ICs, but in my wild imagination I'd assume there may be something there for either proportion/display sizing along with the menu system and available features of the set.

If it doesn't work out, it's going to be parted/recycled and off the table in the garage. I need to make some space.
          Last edited by Josh86; 06-19-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I'm unsure, but is there anyway to test an in-circuit cap with a multimeter? Is disconnecting the cap or using an ESR the only way?
            Last edited by Josh86; 06-19-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

If the cap is not shorted you could have a shorted regulator ic3601 or somethiing that is on that ic's input is shorted
              Last edited by R_J; 06-19-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                If the cap is not shorted you could have a shorted regulator ic3601 or somethiing that is on that ic's input is shorted
                Could I just start checking voltages on the ICs as a method to determine whether or not components might be the cause of failure? I don't have a schematic for this particular set, but I'm working off one that seems nearly identical.
                Last edited by Josh86; 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

You could, you should have voltage on the input of that regulator, that cap seems to be across the input so if it measures short, the cap could be bad, the regulator ic next to it or something before the regulator
                  What schematic are you using?
                  Last edited by R_J; 06-19-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    You could, you should have voltage on the input of that regulator, that cap seems to be across the input so if it measures short, the cap could be bad, the regulator ic next to it or something before the regulator
                    What schematic are you using?

Model type B, starting around pg. 50.

ALSO; just did some more searching for a Magnavox 46" and I came across a post from budm that linked a 46" set...though it doesn't reference Emerson as a model. I may look at that too.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1487816733

Comment

The manual 50ME313V_F7 shows ic3601 and the cap. C3602 220/6.3 is listed as being on the output that feeds ic3001, If there is a short there, I see a bunch of 0Ω and inductors off that line, If you can find them you can try removing them one at a time you migt know which line has the short, and if you are lucky it will be one of those .1uf caps

Comment

Working...
                      X