Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony XBR-65X900C Sporadic Issues

Well, I'll be deepped in sheet!!!

The firmware update on the 55" worked!!!!

And it is ALSO an ANDROID TV!!!

It took me about 15 mins of turning the TV on and off before the thumbdrive indicated it was working.. IE The firmware was updating..

It ran for over 30 mins and i almost shut it off.. But then it powered down all by itself and then the Android Animation started and then it booted up just fine!!! Woot!!!!

Since the 55" is an ANDROID TV, I am debating whether or not I should try it on the 65" or just leave well enough alone.. It would sure help my decision on buying a new board if I was sure that a new board would fix the 65"....

But, given my luck, I am thinking I should just be happy with the 55" and see if get another Android SOny in from elsewhere..

Comment

The small "cellophane" connector in blue in the afore pic looks something like this...
      Attached Files

Comment

now you have the 55 working.. so what about the original main board of this 55.. it will be now good enough to you to trouble shooting it on the 55 and when it work then put it on the 65 or back to 49

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
          now you have the 55 working.. so what about the original main board of this 55.. it will be now good enough to you to trouble shooting it on the 55 and when it work then put it on the 65 or back to 49
          The 49" has a cracked screen.. So it's not viable anyways..

The original board from the 55" suffered the same fate as the 65".. Excessive reflows...

I just don't want to risk the working 55" board if there is even a chance that putting it in the 65" would fry it...

On the other hand, it would be nice to confirm that a new main board is all that is needed for the 65"....

I guess I am asking what the risk is of the 65" frying the 55" board.. Especially in light of that "cellophane" connector marked in blue that is on the 65" but not on the 55"...

Comment

the blue marked socket on the 65 don't have any cable connect on it at the set of 65. then its out of any risk. just focus on the LCD Panel type, are they both 55 49 and 65 same manufacture, if yes this is good

Comment

Awwww righty then...

Here goes nothing..

Another point is that the firmware for the 55" is identical to the firmware on the 65"

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                Awwww righty then...

Here goes nothing..

Another point is that the firmware for the 55" is identical to the firmware on the 65"
                via the Model No of the 49 and 55 and 65 go to Sony firmware page and see if the 3 of them listed at same compatible model same at last firmware update

Comment

your 65 Model with this models Applicable ,,, if your 55 and 49 listed then 100% okay same hard ware
                  XBR-75X940C
                  XBR-65X930C
                  XBR-75X910C
                  XBR-65X900C
                  XBR-55X900C
                  XBR-75X850C
                  XBR-65X850C
                  XBR-55X850C
                  XBR-49X830C
                  XBR-43X830C
                  XBR-65X810C
                  XBR-55X810C
                  XBR-65X800C
                  XBR-49X800C
                  XBR-75X940D
                  XBR-65X930D
                  XBR-55X930D
                  XBR-85X850D
                  XBR-75X850D
                  XBR-65X850D
                  XBR-55X850D

Comment

OK Update on this..

Yes, the firmware does seem to be identical between the 55 and the 65..

When I put the board on the 65, however, I still had to do a firmware update again.. Maybe the firmware has to be installed while in the TV it's going to be working in..

The GOOD news is that the 55" board DID work in the 65" after the firmware update...

Sorta....

Took about 40 mins to do the update, but after that, the TV booted up and I could see the boot up process work fine on the 65".. However, I had to see it by shining a bright light into the screen.. The backlights were not working..

Which makes a certain amount of sense because that cellophane connector marked in blue appears to have something to do with the backlights, as you can see by the attached picture...

Now, the GOOD new is, the stock 55" board still has the proper connections for the backlights AND the audio connections, marked in yellow on the other attached pic...

So, if I can get a good working 55" board, which is a lot cheaper than the 65" board, I can transfer the connections and, with a little bit of luck, I'll have a fully working 65" board..

At least, the theory is sound..

As things stand now, I put the 55" board back in the 55" TV.. As expected, I have to redo the firmware but, if all goes as planned, I should have a working 55" 4K Sony Android TV
                    Attached Files

Comment

ohhh. i see so the socket on 65 it had cable connected to LED back light driver board..

as you said. keep 55 working.. and try to spend 20USD only and learn to reball the 65 and the 55 one too.. i think its better than to buy MB for 65

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                        ohhh. i see so the socket on 65 it had cable connected to LED back light driver board..

as you said. keep 55 working.. and try to spend 20USD only and learn to reball the 65 and the 55 one too.. i think its better than to buy MB for 65
                        I have looked into reballing.. Seems really complicated to me...

Comment

its much easy than reflow. search on how reball Sony Play station CPU. its same 100%

Comment

I have looked into reballing.. Seems really complicated to me...
                            before you go down that path, have you tried looking at some of the voltages at the main board to ensure that they are there? Perhaps your "cooking" didn't do anything but take out some marginal components (ie. capacitors or otherwise). In particular, 5v which should be easy to see / find ... just look around the usb port area (might have to look at which pin is which). Of course, there are others. Since you know one card (55) works, that indicates the supporting cards are good.... but it depends what voltages are supplied to the main and which are derived / switched at the main board.

Might be a waste of time but it can't hurt as a simple check.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                              before you go down that path, have you tried looking at some of the voltages at the main board to ensure that they are there? Perhaps your "cooking" didn't do anything but take out some marginal components (ie. capacitors or otherwise). In particular, 5v which should be easy to see / find ... just look around the usb port area (might have to look at which pin is which). Of course, there are others. Since you know one card (55) works, that indicates the supporting cards are good.... but it depends what voltages are supplied to the main and which are derived / switched at the main board.

Might be a waste of time but it can't hurt as a simple check.
                              Sorry I missed this.. Unfortunately, I am a one man operation and since I had this on my bench, 30 TVs came thru...

I DID find a replacement Main Board for $300 that should arrive today.. I am hoping this will be a happy ending to a long saga...

I pulled the TV out of storage fully expecting I had cracked the screen at some point since it was last out.. A huge sigh of relief when I put it on the bench and saw it was in good shape.. Whew!!!

I'll follow up later today when the board comes..

Thanx again for all the help and replies.. It's all very greatly appreciated..

Comment

Well, there is no joy in mudville today.

The board came in and I installed it.. The Power LED comes on and pulses a couple times, then goes off.. The the LED turns orange, green, orange and then stops...

That COULD indicate a firmware issue, but usually (at least with the last couple times I tried it successfully) the LED stayed on orange/green/orange/green etc etc..

Anyways, I tried a firmware install all day yesterday and even left it going overnight.. No luck...

So, I am going to go back to Budwich's comment and try those voltages..

The board I got ostensibly says it's for the XBR-55X900C, but according to the labels on the panel, it should still work in a 65X....

I'll follow up with those voltages in a few mins..

Comment

Something else I think I might try is to take the new board and put it on the XBR 55X..

That should at least tell me whether the board is good or not...

Comment

Something else I think I might try is to take the new board and put it on the XBR 55X..

That should at least tell me whether the board is good or not...
                                    that would be a good idea of at least giving you a "base check" before doing anything else like voltage checks.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                      that would be a good idea of at least giving you a "base check" before doing anything else like voltage checks.
                                      I did check the 5V off the USB just for sheets and greens.

I initially got a solid 5V reading but then it faded and went to wild fluctuations.. This was on the 55X TV...

I didn't get a 5V again, even when the Power LED showed it was "on"...

I get the exact same cycles on the 55X that I did on the 65X..

Power LED comes on, fades,comes on, fades, then comes on real bright, then fades, then an orange/green LED.. Interesting to note that, the longer I let it cycle, the more orange/green flashes I see.. Starts off with 1 of each, after a few mins, 2 of each etc etc..

I also noticed that the Optical Audio laser only comes on for a brief moment. In a working environment, the red laser usually stays on all the time.

So, I am guessing I got a bad board..

Comment

I should also note that the afore mentioned cycle happens completely independent of any button pushing...

It happens at power up and pushing any button, including the power button, has no effect..

Comment

I have identified the FIRMWARE chip.. A winbond..

Advisability of an old fashioned chip swap???
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X