X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    antistatic bag and then wrap them a couple times in small bubble wrap, and put them in a box with paper or more bubblewrap. They'll survive.
    I second this.

I've received HDDs like that from eBay and never had problems. Anti-static bag + 2 layers of fine bubble wrap on each drive + some fine bubble wrap around the sides of the box should do the trick for up to 10-12 drives.

Avoid the air pouches. Some use them in place of bubble wrap. Air pouches are okay for clothes and things that aren't sensitive. But for HDDs, it has to be bubble wrap.

@ TC: I think I have 2 SCA HDDs I can send you. Posted in your dual Celly thread. Just have to check them out for functionality.
    Last edited by momaka; 12-16-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

yea i can say that air pouches or air pillows dont work. due to the weight of the drive, if it suffers a jolt during transport, the weight of the drive would rupture or burst any of those air pillows. i often end up with deflated air pillows or pouches from shipped hard drives.

Comment

do americans have bubble-wrap?? /sarc
        every item i got from the u.s. via ebay was packed in screwed-up newspaper pages.
        dont get me wrong, a good 4-6" of it all around, but always newspaper rather than bubblewrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
          Scored this PC. Not bad but definitely not the best either:

ASRock P4V88+ mobo w/ 6 bulged KZGs (recapped)
          P4 HT 3GHz Prescott (no wonder why the caps died)
          1GB RAM
          Radeon 9250 128MB
          P&O LC-B400ATX (MAX:400W (yeah right.) gutless wonder
          Allied/APEX PC-115 case
          Samsung SD-612 DVD-ROM
          NEC ND-3540A DVD-RW
          Maxtor STM3160215A 160GB 7200RPM.
          Windows 7 (italian)

Came with a free Windows 7 DVD as well, but don't know if it's SP1 at all.
          KZGs are known to bulge while sitting! (And it looks like a mid-2000s' CPU and motherboard, so no surprise that the KZG-series caps on that motherboard, are shit!)
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-16-2018, 05:31 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
            KZGs are known to bulge while sitting! (And it looks like a mid-2000s' CPU and motherboard, so no surprise that the KZG-series caps on that motherboard, are shit!)
            Depends. I had a batch of KZGs bulge while sitting on a MSI P965 Platinum, while these ones I removed from the ASRocl clearly pointed to the heat from the Prescott chip. (the caps were brownish-black instead of the usual light brown KZG have.) It also didn't help that the PSU was a Deer that has a EI-28 transformer. (yes, you read that right, EI-28 transformer!)

Then there are some boards I have on which KZGs still live like nothing happened. I guess it also depends on what the CPU heat output is, because unsurprisingly these that didn't bulge yet were found on a uATX AM2 motherboard.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Depends. I had a batch of KZGs bulge while sitting on a MSI P965 Platinum, while these ones I removed from the ASRocl clearly pointed to the heat from the Prescott chip. (the caps were brownish-black instead of the usual light brown KZG have.) It also didn't help that the PSU was a Deer that has a EI-28 transformer. (yes, you read that right, EI-28 transformer!)

Then there are some boards I have on which KZGs still live like nothing happened. I guess it also depends on what the CPU heat output is, because unsurprisingly these that didn't bulge yet were found on a uATX AM2 motherboard.
              While they seem less likely to take a shit on Core 2-era motherboards, it still looks a bit too early to tell! I have yet to confirm a visibly-bad one with my own eyes on Conroe-era motherboards. (65nm Core 2 Duo)
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

While they seem less likely to take a shit on Core 2-era motherboards, it still looks a bit too early to tell! I have yet to confirm a visibly-bad one with my own eyes on Conroe-era motherboards. (65nm Core 2 Duo)
                Well, the P965 IS a Conroe-era board. As for bad without bulging, didn't really have such cases with KZG. I did have that happen though with at least a WHOLE round of G-Luxon and several TK ATWY caps on a Biostar motherboard.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Well, the P965 IS a Conroe-era board. As for bad without bulging, didn't really have such cases with KZG. I did have that happen though with at least a WHOLE round of G-Luxon and several TK ATWY caps on a Biostar motherboard.
                  While they apparently can support Conroe with a BIOS update, there's a good chance that it's from 2005, or so it seemed (sorry) and thus still the Prescott-era and the like. (Cedar Mill, Smithfield or similar, IIRC)

2005 would put it in well in the bad cap danger zone! As even high-end Asus motherboards were known to have bulging and leaking wet-electrolytic caps! Yikes! After all, my 2005 Antec SmartPower 2.0 was confirmed to have a bad Fuhjyyu cap, in probably the standby zone! (I made the discovery in 2011, after hearing a whine, a lower-pitched squeal, like a radio, with the Acer Aspire M5630 PC off, when the house was very quiet, IIRC, back when I of course still lived at 105 Main St.)
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Only KZG I had bulge was in a Asus P4C800D that had a over clocked 3.4 and it was my fault for not cooling the case better.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                      Only KZG I had bulge was in a Asus P4C800D that had a over clocked 3.4 and it was my fault for not cooling the case better.
                      Not your fault. KZG was bad for this. I've seen 'new old stock' KZG's die on the shelf. Seen gazillions of them fail in action.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        do americans have bubble-wrap?? /sarc
                        LOL! YES?

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        every item i got from the u.s. via ebay was packed in screwed-up newspaper pages.
                        dont get me wrong, a good 4-6" of it all around, but always newspaper rather than bubblewrap.
                        Weird. I've gotten bubble wrap way more often than newspaper. Come to think of it, I've gotten newspaper only on a few occasions. It was done very well and nothing got damaged. And the nice thing about newspaper is that I don't feel bad about dumping it back in the recycling bin. Bubble wrap, I try to save, if new or newish looking... and have accumulated a couple of big boxes already.

KZGs are known to bulge while sitting!
                        True for most of the older ones.
                        I haven't seen any bad ones with a date code of 2008 and later. That said, I would still avoid the 6.3V 3300 uF KZGs - just never seen any of them last.

While they apparently can support Conroe with a BIOS update, there's a good chance that it's from 2005, or so it seemed (sorry) and thus still the Prescott-era and the like. (Cedar Mill, Smithfield or similar, IIRC)
                        Agreed. I consider the i915/945/955/965 chipsets to be Prescott -era too, even though both 945 and 965 will support some Core -based CPUs.
                        So if the board is old enough to have one of those chipsets, it's probably also has the potentially-flawed KZGs.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                          That's likely the same period as the Asus A7N8X-X I had, where the KZG-series caps on the motherboard, when just sitting, bulged with a Hawaii-style eruption at the top vents. (and some at least about to do that, if not already!)
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-18-2018, 07:52 AM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

HP Pavilion dv7 (i5@2.5G, 8G, 500G) and a MS Surface (not sure which version).

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              I just got 10 in a box....it was a little 'girthy', but all was well. wrapped each drive 2 layers of bubble wrap was fine....so stacked, there was technically 4 layers, plus the antistatic bag....packed snug in the box with more bubblewrap so they weren't hitting eachother loosely.
                              OK, I'll do a dry run (with SATA drives) to see how many I can fit in a "conveniently available" box (so I don't have to keep a particular box on hand waiting for the next chance I have at rescuing some drives).

Comment

picked up 4x seagate 9.1gb 68-pin cheetah's for 20 bucks. They're the 1.6 height ones....they had slower seek speeds, but with all the platters + 10k RPM, they sound mean spooling up!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

I once got a Promise Vtrak 15100 for $100

all bays, both psus still worked. Tested it after I cleared out the settings with a serial cable.
                                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Nice icon U235
                                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

^ I probably don't even want to know the story behind any of that!
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

It's a character from a cartoon. There was an animation error that made her eyes, well, like they are in my avatar. Everyone found it funny so they kept it like that, made her somewhat...slow (though she makes very few appearances throughout the show). The fans eventually called her "derpy" (south park reference). Her name made it into the show but some asshat parents thought they were making fun of retarded people so they just cut her name out (although her (derpy) name still shows up in the closed caption to this day). Shes somewhat of a lovable eh, 'disabled' pony that only made her mark from animation mistake and fanart

edit: After the derpy incident, they offically named her "Muffins". Later in one of her few appearances, she officially had some connection to her name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO9JRtLYhRQ
                                          Last edited by Uranium-235; 12-20-2018, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X