• Show
Clear All

Re: The ghetto mod thread

Come on, more ghetto mods please!

This is my 70cm amateur band antenna!
    Attached Files

Comment

that's not ghetto - it has a connector, last time i needed something like that i just stripped about a foot of the insulation and braid off!!

Comment

You can afford sacrificing RG58? Dang!

Comment

i used to have a reel of it, from the days of installing tv antenna's.
          now i have a 250m reel of CT100 from dish installing - now that is some good shit!! copper core, copper braid, copper foil!!!

Comment

I have tons of 75Ω cable (RG6, RG59?), but so little 50Ω cable...

75Ω cable seems like a dime a dozen feet, 50Ω... no idea where to even get it cheaply.

Comment

iMac 2008 24" PSU mod.
              Attached Files
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Not really a ghetto mod per say, but it doesn't fit anywhere else...

Im using my neighborhoods cable plant/DSLAM (as in cable TV) as a very large random wire antenna. The ground is bad at the plant, and was grounding out though the metal siding of my house. I lifted the ground and now, not only am i able to hear the QAM (over the shielding!) with an SDR, but im able to pull in radio stations from Nebraska and Colorado with ease. Along with some signals from the Echostar uplink center. Not that i really need to use this to pull signals from Echostar.......
                Last edited by goontron; 07-29-2018, 12:07 PM.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                  iMac 2008 24" PSU mod.
                  what voltages does it actually need??

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                    Not really a ghetto mod per say, but it doesn't fit anywhere else...

Im using my neighborhoods cable plant/DSLAM (as in cable TV) as a very large random wire antenna. The ground is bad at the plant, and was grounding out though the metal siding of my house. I lifted the ground and now, not only am i able to hear the QAM (over the shielding!) with an SDR, but im able to pull in radio stations from Nebraska and Colorado with ease. Along with some signals from the Echostar uplink center. Not that i really need to use this to pull signals from Echostar.......
                    that gives me an idea, are railway tracks usually grounded, or just left alone?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      that gives me an idea, are railway tracks usually grounded, or just left alone?
                      Don't know about the EU, but the Union and BNSF tracks here are grounded every mile or so.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

what voltages does it actually need??
                        24V 3A for backlight
                        12V 16A
                        12VSB

(approximated max current consumption, keep some margin)

I used a 20V 4A laptop power brick for the 24V, works ok.

12V is from an ATX PSU.
                        12VSB is from a 1.5A adapter because I use the PSON signal to turn on the ATX power supply. Otherwise short the green wire of the ATX PSU to ground and you can tie the 12VSB to the 12V line.

The original iMac PSU has a built-in thermal sensor. The value of the sensor is not shown in software (all sensors are here on HWMonitor except this one). I couldn't figure out how it works so I use a software to control the CPU fan (or else it will go to full RPM after 30 seconds). Allows me to adjust the speed for decent cooling of the GPU as well, I want it to die as late as possible.

Comment

so if you changed the backlight to run on 12v you could use an xbox360 psu.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                            iMac 2008 24" PSU mod.
                            Lol, nice work. Anything to get it going again.

It appears you are using a Bestec PSU. If it's a ATX-250-12E, you won't even need a 12V adapter for the 12VSB - the 5VSB on the Bestec ATX-250-12E will naturally reach 12V after a few years of use

Comment

^^Oh god be careful, some of us are drinking coffee here!
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                It appears you are using a Bestec PSU. If it's a ATX-250-12E, you won't even need a 12V adapter for the 12VSB - the 5VSB on the Bestec ATX-250-12E will naturally reach 12V after a few years of use
                                Good catch, it's an ATX-300-12Z though. Crap PSU but got 2 of them so one has its use now...

Comment

Bought a Geforce 8400GS, turned out to be a artefacting lemon.

Before:

It had its moments when it wouldn't artefact though. Took advantage of that, and ran 4 rounds of Furmark,one after the another, bringing the card to 86*C each time.

Surprisingly, the artefacts went away,never to come back, but just to make sure, I added a 12cm fan (which is kinda loud, but I didn't want to risk anything at this point) on the case side panel, and now everything is well, keeping the card at a cool 56*C (as opposed to over 70 without it before running Furmark).

Here's a photo after the fix. Excuse the image quality, I'm using a DIY S-Video cable and that was the sharpest quality I could get. (I use the PC to tape shows and other things using the VCR to which the PC is connected.)

I'm really going to laugh if this fix will be a long-term one, especially since I didn't pay a lot ($2.50 - 10RON) for it, and because the chip uses the G86 core.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Dan81; 09-04-2018, 05:13 AM.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

good background, shame about the o.s.

Comment

Here's a fan mod and a couple of things I've made.
                                      Bonus points if you can guess what the two white things are for.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

good background, shame about the o.s.
                                        R.I.P xp though, it did serve me real well through the years.

With 2GB of RAM I felt like Vista/7 is too much for the machine I put the 8400GS in, so the best choice was XP (besides Linux)
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                          Here's a fan mod and a couple of things I've made.
                                          Bonus points if you can guess what the two white things are for.
                                          white bits remind me of a sword or gun stand.
                                          like you use to put one on a shelf.

Comment

Working...
                                          X