Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba C50-B-15J / suddenly No POST - any ideas what could be the problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba C50-B-15J / suddenly No POST - any ideas what could be the problem?

Hello guys,

Got a Toshiba Satellite laptop (C50-B-15J / PSCMNE), which suddenly went dead for no apparent reason.

1) When I plug in the AC adapter, charging/power led lights up and indicates, that there is power to the motherboard (with battery in, LED glows orange; without battery - LED glows white);
    2) When I turn the laptop on, fan starts to spin in a constant rate, the power button glows white (indicating that the laptop is turned on).
    3) I can hear that the hard drive and cd-rom is initialising, but there is no other activity - no sounds from the speakers, no hard drive reading activity, no backlight or other activity on the lcd;

What I've tried so far:

1) attached it to external monitor - no results
    2) tried to completely discharge the motherboard, by holding down power button for 30 seconds without battery - no results
    3) tried multiple tested and working RAM modules - no results
    4) disconnected touchpad, keyboard, usb board, lcd - no results
    5) tried tested and working AC adapter (I have two of them)

The only probable cause I could think of - client who owns this laptop, said that he changed his AC adapter, because the original one was dead. Laptop was working with the new adapter, but because of the dc plug shape, it didn't fit all the way into the socket, so there were many connects / disconnects, which were ignored, because the battery always was in (it's attached with two screws to the case), and when the ac adapter got disconnected, laptop was working from the battery.

After careful inspection of the motherboard, I didn't noticed any traces of spills or burns. The board looks brand new, and without any defects.

I attached the schematics of this board and couple of pictures of identical board.

Any Ideas what could be possibly wrong with this sucker?
    Attached Files

Re: Toshiba C50-B-15J / suddenly No POST - any ideas what could be the problem?

A little update: When i leave the laptop turned on, with it's black screen and fans spinning, it shuts itself off every 30-32 seconds, then after 3-5 seconds it turns back on, and same thing happens infinitely. This seems like a sign, but I still can't figure out or find any information why it is doing this loop.

Also I didn't mentioned - caps lock and numlock buttons doesn't react or glow at all.

Comment

try to flash the bios

Comment

Originally posted by String2016 View Post
        try to flash the bios
        Thank you for the answer. Do I need some special equipement for this, or can it be done in the old classic way - by preparing an USB flash drive? Do you have some more information, how I could blind-flash the BIOS for this model?

Many Thanks!

Comment

You'll need to desolder the BIOS chip and flash it with an external programmer (RT809F, TL866CS and many others). If you have a Raspberry Pi, you can hook the BIOS to its SPI bus and flash it using flashrom.
          Also do you have VCore? Measure voltage on the coils (PLZ03, PLZ04) next to the CPU.
          Last edited by piernov; 08-08-2017, 05:59 AM.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

what was the problem finally? I have tha same behavior. I have flashed in an new bios but nothing.

Comment

had the same problem with said board i replaced SY8206BQNC CHIP and cured the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X