Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 UEFI password

Hi folks,

I have a Surface Pro 3 that I can (kinda) get into the BIOS, but most of the options are greyed out. So I'm guessing that I put a password on it at some point (bought the thing used off eBay a number of years ago), but I'll be damned if I can remember what it is now. I used the fptw64.exe tool to extract the BIOS to a .bin file, but when I open the file in HXD, the location for the data I'm looking for (after "AMITSESetup") is filled with 00's. I have tried a few times, same results each time. Any ideas?

Comment

@LarryFlynt
      I suggest to look for the next "AMITSESetup" match (usually by pressing F3 key). Other option is to use UEFITool NE version.

Comment

Originally posted by AAAC View Post
        @LarryFlynt
        I suggest to look for the next "AMITSESetup" match (usually by pressing F3 key). Other option is to use UEFITool NE version.
        I did that. There were three locations with "AMITSESetup", all three were full of 00's. I will have a look at that tool you suggested when I get home from work tonight.

Comment

@LarryFlynt
          When using UEFITool NE version, while searching for "AMITSESetup" it will give the results, clicking on any of them will take you to the UEFI variable or module where it finds a match, when working with UEFI variables it may show the DATA or show a LINK to it (Subtype column), if the variable is shown as a LINK, right click on it and select option GO TO DATA (CTRL+T).

Comment

@LarryFlynt
            When using UEFITool NE version, while searching for "AMITSESetup" it will give the results, clicking on any of them will take you to the UEFI variable or module where it finds a match, when working with UEFI variables it may show the DATA or show a LINK to it (Subtype column), if the variable is shown as a LINK, right click on it and select option GO TO DATA (CTRL+T).
            Yeah, didn't have much luck there. While I could see some GUID data, it didn't appear to be enough characters for the spreadsheet to decrypt. I think I'm just going to post my BIOS dump here, and profusely thank whoever manages the magic, since they're obviously a much better wizard than I I'll still keep trying though, since I hate not being able to figure stuff like this out Thanks for your help AAAC!

L.F
            Attached Files

Comment

@LarryFlynt
              When using UEFITool NE and other Hex tools you have the option of doing a string search in ASCII or UNICODE (8-bit vs. 16-bit representation, respectively), with UEFITool NE the option UNICODE is checked so you just untick the option and you are ready to find AMITSESetup variable for this BIOS (in other BIOSES you may require the Unicode option to be ticked).

Password XORED in AMITSESetup variable =
              6A93842622BA584DC7E022747D07D89A332E8EC1E95444E89F7BFA0E55A2B0350BC9665CC1EF1C83

password = 1234

Comment

@LarryFlynt
                When using UEFITool NE and other Hex tools you have the option of doing a string search in ASCII or UNICODE (8-bit vs. 16-bit representation, respectively), with UEFITool NE the option UNICODE is checked so you just untick the option and you are ready to find AMITSESetup variable for this BIOS (in other BIOSES you may require the Unicode option to be ticked).

Password XORED in AMITSESetup variable =
                6A93842622BA584DC7E022747D07D89A332E8EC1E95444E89F7BFA0E55A2B0350BC9665CC1EF1C83

password = 1234
                Oh FFS... I definitely don't remember setting it to that! There are a few passwords I reserve for BIOS stuff, and that's definitely not one of them! Thanks so much for this AAAC! I will poke back into the .bin file to find that data, and figure out where I was going wrong.

Comment

I could have sworn that somewhere in this message thread I saw an image that highlighted the code immediately after 'AMITSESetup', and on mine, everything right after it was 00's. In searching back through now, I see that the image showed it was the data after the 00's that was what I should have been using. If I take the data after that, which is exactly what you quoted AAAC, popping that into the spreadsheet immediately spat back that cursed '1234'!!!

AAAC, I bow to your magic Thank you again!!!

Comment

@LarryFlynt
                    If you check the 'AMITSESetup' variable it uses 40+40 bytes for password storage, one of these 40-byte blocks is for the USER password and the other block for the SUPERVISOR password, if you see one of these blocks filled with just 00's is because the corresponding password is not set.

Comment

Re: Microsoft Surface UEFI password

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
                      You can try going to recovery options by holding down shift when pressing restart. There you can open command prompt and navigate to fptw folder and try from there.

And BTW, use v9. 5 not v9
                      So I'm hoping I've done this correctly as Ive spent days learning how to hopefully get the right file.

Not sure I've spent this much energy on getting a password I Forgot in my life.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Beefychris View Post
                        So I'm hoping I've done this correctly...
                        244 Bytes... No, it's not a good dump.
                        Try again
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                        Become a Badcaps supporter
                        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                        Thanks to all supporters.​
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

So I'm hoping I've done this correctly as Ive spent days learning how to hopefully get the right file.

Not sure I've spent this much energy on getting a password I Forgot in my life.
                          let's try again
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Beefychris; 02-26-2023, 03:43 PM. Reason: attachment missing

Comment

let's try again
                            You have a Microsoft Surface Go 1824 right?
                            Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
                            This method is not applicable for Microsoft Surface Go 1824.
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=224

Comment

Help retrieve the BIOS password
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rozpytin View Post
                                Help retrieve the BIOS password
                                Password: loomb

Comment

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have the same problem. I have a Surface 3 Model 1657 with no Windows installed but there is a BIOS password which I cant remember setting.
                                  I cannot boot from any other devices since it has secure boot activated.

If there is anyone who can help in this case maybe tell me how to dump out the bios file i would really love it. I am an absolute newbee to this

Comment

Did you even try booting from windows installer?

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
                                      Password: loomb
                                      Thank you very much. Password is correct.

Comment

Hi,
                                        can u give my uefi password too.

Thanks
                                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-25-2023, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boz03 View Post
                                          Hi,
                                          can u give my uefi password too.

Thanks
                                          Try this Password: onr3
                                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
                                          all donations are welcome,
                                          see the donate button at the bottom of the page, or
                                          >>>>>
                                          click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<
                                          Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.
                                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                          X