X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    will do a few reboots before POST'ing....easy mistake for the layman to make I suppose. I've acquired a few this way.
    Like a UEFI-BIOS update on recent motherboards. (normal)

I got words that this also can happen as a symptom of bad RAM, when attempting to use XMP/AMP with bad RAM. Then it most likely will reboot to "2133", meaning RAM training failure.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

some bioses reboot 3times if they have a bad checksum.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        My MSI MS-7850 motherboard will reset itself 5 or 10 times before resetting back to defaults in case of a bad overclock attempt.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Scored a Gateway-2000 486 system from mid-June 1993. It's rocking an 80486-DX2/50 CPU and 8MB of RAM. It POSTs, but I haven't been able to hook up a keyboard to it because I didn't have an adapter. More to come.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
            Scored a Gateway-2000 486 system from mid-June 1993. It's rocking an 80486-DX2/50 CPU and 8MB of RAM. It POSTs, but I haven't been able to hook up a keyboard to it because I didn't have an adapter. More to come.
            That would probably run a DX4 100MHz CPU which can be had for peanuts. Toss a little more RAM in it, and bam! Great NT4 or 9x box!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Welp, didn't score much today... other than a 14 inch LCD to repair my (pretty beaten up unfortunately) Armada E500.

And sweet Jesus, never make the mistake to remove the polarizer on a 20+ years old LCD display. The vinegar smell it can emanate is literally worse than any smoker machine. Not even kidding.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Was given a Panasonic TC-P50X5 Plasma. Stand is missing....no idea if it works or not.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Scored an ASUS M50VC. Core 2 Duo P7350, Geforce 9300M GS (G98 core), 4GB worth of DDR2, 320GB HDD that's slower than molasses (though that's to be expected of Hitachi drives of 2008 vintage.). Runs Win 10 (no idea what edition) and has a 1440x900 screen, much to my surprise.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    Do you mean CMOS checksum error? (and not the BIOS per se, the BIOS chip, would be a ROM checksum error)
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

That would probably run a DX4 100MHz CPU which can be had for peanuts. Toss a little more RAM in it, and bam! Great NT4 or 9x box!
                      Yep, but don't forget to get a heatsink, LOL. Mine was super hot without a heatsink! (back in 2000, IIRC)

That was when I also got 20 MB of RAM for it, it was a system from 1993, IIRC, came with a 486 SX 25 MHz. And the sucker (486 DX that I popped in the upgrade socket) was still hot, even when underclocked to 75 MHz, I think, because I was afraid of touching that jumper again, because it failed to boot with the jumper changed, when I only had the built-in 486 SX. I should have changed the jumper, after I popped in that 486 DX!
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-20-2022, 07:35 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                        Yep, but don't forget to get a heatsink, LOL. Mine was super hot without a heatsink! (back in 2000, IIRC)

That was when I also got 20 MB of RAM for it, it was a system from 1993, IIRC, came with a 486 SX 25 MHz. And the sucker (486 DX that I popped in the upgrade socket) was still hot, even when underclocked to 75 MHz, I think, because I was afraid of touching that jumper again, because it failed to boot with the jumper changed, when I only had the built-in 486 SX. I should have changed the jumper, after I popped in that 486 DX!
                        So far, I've clipped off the Varta poison pill of doom and verified that the motherboard itself seems to work reasonably properly. The onboard 80486-DX2/50 has a heatsink, but no fan. It's got an empty socket next to it, not sure what that's for. More than likely an upgrade socket. If it is an upgrade socket, I'll drop an 80486-DX4/100 or an Am5x86/133 in there. I also plan on maxing the RAM out at 64MB (or is it 128MB max?) and plopping NT4 on there.

Right now, it's effectively a sitting duck due to the multifunction I/O card being dead. (Corrosion damage from the VPPoD)
                        It's got an ATi VGA card with 1MB of RAM, a network adapter, and a Soundblaster of some description. From what I've heard, it ran Windows NT 4 on it, and I think that I've tracked down its original hard disk, though it is very much not in operating condition anymore. It only has 8MB of RAM (not sure if that was the original installed RAM, bet that NT4 was painful on that).
                        I should do a thread on this thing...

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Was given a Panasonic TC-P50X5 Plasma. Stand is missing....no idea if it works or not.
                          The 5v STBY is missing. Traced it down to a FAN6755 voltage controller....had to order one...but I'm confident it will fix it.... The next battle is some scratches on the screen. Most plasma's are bare glass on the front, this one has a laminated acrylic coating on it, which has a couple scratches on it.... I'll have to break out the 1200 & 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsand it, then polish it out with jewelers rouge; much like polishing out plastic headlight lenses. A 1080p plasma is well worth saving!
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            Do you mean CMOS checksum error? (and not the BIOS per se, the BIOS chip, would be a ROM checksum error)
                            i mean the rom,
                            the syscon causes a reboot if it's unhappy with the flash

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                              The onboard 80486-DX2/50 has a heatsink, but no fan. It's got an empty socket next to it, not sure what that's for. More than likely an upgrade socket. If it is an upgrade socket, I'll drop an 80486-DX4/100 or an Am5x86/133 in there.
                              I've never seen a soldered 486DX2 before. That's an odd one. The soldered CPU was usually a 486SX, and some boards didn't have the option of L2 cache, even with an upgraded CPU (the worst offender being the only '90s computer brand I know of that has fanboys - I don't remember ever seeing a 486-based Compaq that had the option of installing L2 cache).

Comment

Nice scores these days:

- Lenovo Yoga tablet with what I can only guess is an Atom processor - unfortunately screen is broken. Not sure if it's worth repairing, though it does run Android and not Windows.

- iPad A1337 tablet - works fine, has had no account installed (not that it does now anyways.)

- Medion Akoya P6612 - this is literally poor man's Acer 6930G - 9600M GS 256M, C2D P7350, 4GB DDR2, no idea what HDD it originally shipped with though. (both units I had to work on - one for me, one for a friend - had no HDDs. One had the HDD cage, but no HDD.)

-ASUS A75VJ-TY085H - one of the few Compal-made ASUS units. And boy, it packs a damn punch - i7-3610QM, GT635M 2GB, BD-ROM/DVD-RW drive. Has had no RAM, has no back cover, and had a slightly damaged screen. Replaced the screen, dropped in 8GB worth of Ballistix DDR3L RAM, a 500GB Seagate Thin from a scrapped HP G6-2238sl and it sprung to live. Haven't tested any game but it looks pretty promising (although the case does have a few small issues.)
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Given a mint condition Sony KDF-50E2000 'Grand WEGA' DLP 720P....didn't have the heart to break it down and junk it; I've honestly never seen one up close....of course the bulb is bad.... Original owners (elderly couple) and got the manual & remote.... Probably not worth the 30 bucks, but I'm going to grab a bulb for it.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

be interesting to try an led or even a LEP module in it!!
                                    (LEP module probably costs too much though)

Comment

I did test fire the Sony DLP today just to see how bad it was.... It wasn't the worst I've seen, but the bulb was definitely degraded.... Hard to tell from the pics; the flash was off....but it was definitely a lot darker than it should have been....and a white raster seemed to have a blue-ish hue to it...

Again, probably a waste of time....but I just want to see what this looks like working correctly...I've never seen one up close.
                                      Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Free WD10SPZX-24Z10T1 HDD out of some random Lenovo. Had missing screws on the PCB side. I used some from a dead 160GB Seagate, and it sprung back to life happily, with just 1 weak sector.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Scored an ASUS N73SV-V2G-TY577V. Needs a screen, a battery and a bottom HDD cover. What I'm not sure is if the bottom cover from the ASUS X73E/SM/SC/SV fits. They're almost the same machine (the N73SV and the X73SV) except for a few ports and slots. The bottom covers do seem to look the same, but I'd rather find out myself if they're actually compatible beforehand.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X