Denon avr-x2000 no sound on main zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denon avr-x2000 no sound on main zone

I have a problem with the denon avr x2000 where the zone2 analog audio and am/fm works fine. But on the main zone none of the channels are getting any sound (including analog audio with direct or pure direct mode). With some debugging it appears like the input card is switching the analog audio to the hdmi board. But there is no return audio signal. The hdmi card seems fine for video. Its just the digital audio path that is having issue.

The power amp path is fine for the main zone. When i patch the zone2 preamp signal manually to FR and FL, i can hear the audio on FR/FL.

Any clue if it is the ADSP21487 ? How do you debug the hdmi board ?

Here is a link to the service manual (thanks FrozenHaxor) https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=x2000

Re: Denon avr-x2000 no sound on main zone

Forgot to mention that tried factory reset and also loaded a new firmware and that didn't help.

Comment

you didn't indicate what happens with your video signal portion, does it send out any video? Is the cable / connection recognized on a display as being connected? Further, what is the history of the unit (ie. how did it get to its current state)?

edit: oops, I re-read your post and I see it has video in and outputs ok. Then, it is important to indicate history with the unit. Did it ever work? What settings have you checked?

edit: go to page 30 in the service manual and walk thru the diagnostics. What do you get / see from the tests?
      Last edited by budwich; 06-03-2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

The unit was working fine and about 6 months back it developed this issue all of a sudden. I didn't get a chance to debug it until last week.

I ran the diagnostics for both audio and video. The hdmi video tests worked most part except for the GUI menu test. I have seen that working intermittently when i did a reset. All the hdmi tests didn't produce any audio.

All the audio tests failed except for the analog zone2 (A07 in manual).

Comment

OK. Based on this, my first guess would be a couple of faulty caps somewhere.... because of the "flakey" display (gui is usually generated internally and should always work). Have you opened the thing up yet? Look for areas around caps / resistors that might show signs of heating along with poor soldering on the associated boards.

please confirm what the result of feeding in analog sound is... do you get an output to the main out? IF not, the first check is for the "audio block". Basically, you need to follow page 89 and indicate which are successful and which fail. Go from the results.
          Last edited by budwich; 06-04-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Yes i have opened it up. I fed a 1 Khz analog audio and was able to test at various points using an oscilloscope. I do not see the signal going to the power amp board for FR and FL irrespective of the mode (i.e. direct / stereo). But i do see it for SBR and SBL (zone2). I do see the analog signal going to the hdmi board at A/D_L and A/D_R (page 120 input pcb). But nothing is coming out (DA_FR/DA_FL) from the hdmi board. Like i mentioned in the first post, i patched the SBR to FR and SBL to FL on the input board (CP401 on page 120) and i could get the audio on the main. Based on this i felt the issue is mostly on the hdmi board.

I did look for bad solder joints. I will look again on the hdmi board.

Comment

your test tones (built in) work for all channels? how did you do your "patching" of zone 2 SB's to the front? Have you used the "EXT in" to feed in analog R/L and get those out to FL/R? I am thinking you have a "selector failure" not a encoding / decoding fault.
              Last edited by budwich; 06-04-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I see that the x2000 probably doesn't have the "ext-in" option... :-(((

You should try to confirm the voltages are appearing at the cards involved ... looks like 7v is needed for the selector area.

Comment

Sorry for the late response. I just got the chance to run the tests.

1. The test tones do not play on any of the channels including the SBR/SBL.
                  2. I verified that the input board (CN4006) and it does measure -7v on 1 and 2 and +7v on 5 and 6.

I believe the selector IC is the R2A15218FP (page 120). For the IC is able to output on pins 54 and 55 (AD_L/AD_R). But nothing is coming back from hdmi board for pins 93 and 94 (DA_FL, DA_FR). Regarding the tones.. i believe these are generated digitally and go through DAC right ?.

Comment

Check if the small rectangular voltage regulators on top of the the HDMI board (U3601-U3605, EX3AV written on top) are OK. Each is responsible for an essential voltage for the HDMI chipset. See service manual p.142.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by re-atari; 06-07-2021, 04:24 AM.

Comment

you checked inputting on ALL hdmi ports, as I see some take difference paths thru (page 32). Related to that, you check usb input to see what the results are there?

One other thing, related to the test tones, on the "no output", you are seeing a display indicating which channel is being tested? IF that is the case, perhaps if the test actually is being carried out for any length of time, you could try heating some "strategic" portions of the card with a hot air gun and see if anything happens (ie. tones start working, etc)... of course, do this carefully / mindfully. I see the nice stamp "PB free" on the board... :-( Your failure of the gui test is still the most telling although not sure what is pointing at but would think it is some form coms with that area that isn't happening regularly (if it is off more than on during your tests).
                      Last edited by budwich; 06-07-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by re-atari View Post
                        Check if the small rectangular voltage regulators on top of the the HDMI board (U3601-U3605, EX3AV written on top) are OK. Each is responsible for an essential voltage for the HDMI chipset. See service manual p.142.
                        I measured all the outputs from U3601-U3605 and they matched with the voltages shown on p.142

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                        you checked inputting on ALL hdmi ports, as I see some take difference paths thru (page 32).
                        Not sure what happened.. now none of the hdmi ports work. Factory reset and running diagnostics didn't help. HDMI pass-through also stopped working. This was working few days ago. The TV is however able to detect that i am connected to denon when i switch the input to a hdmi port that is not connected to any input. Also occasionally the gui worked (not when i ran diagnostics) and using the TV remote i could power on/off the denon over the hdmi. So it is very erratic with respect to hdmi.. I also had some trouble with getting the menu options using the remote.
                        I connected the network cable and i was able to change the settings over the network from a browser. I also discovered that the internet radio works for zone2. So the network media processor and the DAC for zone2 seems to be okay.

I will run the heat test as i feel there is nothing much to lose

Comment

OK... but I think that points closer towards the main processor area as shown on page 35. Perhaps if you carefully heat that area, things might start working. In the TV things, sets that have large processor chips have issues on boards that are pb free because of failures in connections. Heating temporarily helps close small cracks in the joints but ultimately the chips need to be resoldered / reflowed for the problem to be addressed. It just a guess though, but I know from my experience where things "partially work", that selecting heating has helped focus attention on repair efforts, usually on caoacitors but also transistors, haven't had any large processor issues to deal directly with.

Page 98 shows some output checks... not sure how easy it is to get at and how good your "scoping" is but you might try that, carefully to see if you see anything in the "Din" areas.
                          Last edited by budwich; 06-08-2021, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Enter the service menu and check the different firmware versions. Are all versions displayed correctly?
                            by the way, do not try updating the firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
                              Enter the service menu and check the different firmware versions. Are all versions displayed correctly?
                              by the way, do not try updating the firmware.
                              Unfortunately i upgraded the firmware when i developed the audio problem and the upgrade took a really long time.. but didnt have any issues. I did a quick check now and i do see the GUI firmware is showing FFFFFFFF. The rest of them are okay. That could be one of the issues with the GUI and also some people are reporting hdmi issues with this symptom. After the firmware upgrade i had noted down the version and it was 8F00-3876-1674. Now the same thing shows 8F00-3876-FF74. Is there a way to recover/revert the GUI ?

Here is the full firmware version:
                              Package: 0011
                              Main: 01830067
                              Main FBL: 00.14
                              DSP: 82.06
                              Audio PLD: 22.08
                              GUI: FFFFFFFF
                              Ethernet FBL: 090322-bd
                              Ethernet SBL: B201607270831-0A
                              Eth img: I201810032347

Comment

:-( One question, how did you do the firmware update? It should not be done over wifi, either wired (or usb). From reads on the internet, it appears that re-attempting the update is a possible option... assuming some form of prompts come up on the device or OSD. Having said this, have you tried contacting denon to see what options are available. I know in the distant past, my 4308 had a feature update (even though I was not the original owner), and they readily responded with the info needed to get thru this.
                                Last edited by budwich; 06-10-2021, 06:08 AM.

Comment

So option 1 - bad IC(s), option 2 - corrupted fw, option 3 - bad RAM/ROM, option 4 - bad bus between the ICs and/or ram/rom, option 5 - something causing the IC(s) and ram/rom not to work properly ( bad power supply rails, ripples, etc.. ).

Try the heating test for the BGA ICs.

Comment

Got some good news on the video front. I took out the hdmi board few days ago for inspection and when i put it back the aux hdmi ribbon cable from the front panel wasn't inserted properly. After connecting it and a factory reset, now the GUI firmware started reading 64110061. The hdmi video and gui (gui with intermittent issues) are working like before. I am back to where i was a week ago. All the video stuff works and the issue remaining is only with the audio on the main zone. I ran the diagnostic test but still the GUI test failed. Not sure why the aux cable can cause this weird behavior.

I did the heat gun test on the main processor, adsp and few other ICs and didnt help. The heating test was done before the aux cable fix. Let me try again more tonight.
                                    Last edited by gvse; 06-10-2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

how did that cabling get into that state? probably more important is WHEN did it get into that state, before the firmware update / reload?

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                        how did that cabling get into that state? probably more important is WHEN did it get into that state, before the firmware update / reload?
                                        The cabling got into this state only 4 or 5 days ago (after i posted the initial diagnostics results on 6/7/21 where all the video tests passed and only audio failed). The firmware update was done few months ago (i hadnt taken anything apart that time). Sorry about the confusion.

Comment

Working...
                                        X