HP EliteBook 8760w - No CPU VCore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP EliteBook 8760w - No CPU VCore

Hi, I've got a HP EliteBook 8760w with no CPU VCore, L6, L7, L8 all have no Vcore voltage. VCCSA is present. What should I check next? thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Johndill; 06-16-2018, 04:10 PM.

Re: HP EliteBook 8760w - No CPU VCore

Check enable signal on U1010 pin 7.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      Check enable signal on U1010 pin 7.
      If I counted right, U1010 pin 7 is 0.0mV

Comment

Originally posted by Johndill View Post
        If I counted right, U1010 pin 7 is 0.0mV
        Then check PWR_GOOD_3. Pin 4 U1012 should be 3 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco.s View Post
          Then check PWR_GOOD_3. Pin 4 U1012 should be 3 volts.
          According to the data sheet for pin arrangement, U1012
          pin 1 is 3.3V
          pin 2 is 1.4mV
          pin 3 is 0.0mV
          pin 4 is 0.0mV
          pin 5 is 3.3V
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Johndill; 06-21-2018, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Bump

Comment

What should I check next?

Comment

Apparently PGOOD_MXM is needed for PWR_GOOD_3 to go high and get the CPU power regulator to turn on. PGOOD_MXM comes from the MXM connector apparently, and has a pull-up resistor to +V3S.
                Is there a graphics card plugged in in the MXM connector? If there is, remove it, it may be pulling down the line (for an unknown reason right now).

Comment

Apparently PGOOD_MXM is needed for PWR_GOOD_3 to go high and get the CPU power regulator to turn on. PGOOD_MXM comes from the MXM connector apparently, and has a pull-up resistor to +V3S.
                  Is there a graphics card plugged in in the MXM connector? If there is, remove it, it may be pulling down the line (for an unknown reason right now).
                  Yes the MXM GPU was connected, I'll check again without it

Comment

With MXM GPU in, L6, L7 and L8 are 0.0mV, cold CPU.

With MXM GPU removed, L6, L7 and L8 are open line, hot CPU, PWR_GOOD_3 pin 4 U1012 is 3.3 volts.
                    Last edited by Johndill; 07-12-2018, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Is the computer booting without the MXM graphics card? Try to see if there is any HDD activity, any sound coming out from the speakers, if caps lock/num lock trigger the associated LED.

This MXM graphics card seems to be pulling down the PWRGD line so try with another graphics card if you have one.

Comment

Is the computer booting without the MXM graphics card? Try to see if there is any HDD activity, any sound coming out from the speakers, if caps lock/num lock trigger the associated LED.

This MXM graphics card seems to be pulling down the PWRGD line so try with another graphics card if you have one.
                        If I remember correctly, the caps lock was flashing 5 times with the GPU in.

The caps lock stays solid lit without the GPU connected so would it be right to say the motherboard is fine and the issue would be with the GPU?

I have a GTX 675M in my Alienware but don't really want to take it out :-)

Comment

Check if you can turn off/on the caps lock light. Put an hard drive with an operating system and check if it's being read. (you should hear the heads moving at least)

You'd have to try with another graphics card to make sure it is indeed the issue.

Comment

Check if you can turn off/on the caps lock light. Put an hard drive with an operating system and check if it's being read. (you should hear the heads moving at least)

You'd have to try with another graphics card to make sure it is indeed the issue.
                            Thank you in advance for your help :-)

The caps lock was solid lit and did not turn off when pressed.

I'll clean it out and reassemble it for easier testing of your suggestions and replay back some time soon when I have completed your tests and maybe bear it and try out the GTX 675M from my Alienware as it's the only working MXM card I have and unfortunately HP didn't enable the intel integrated GPU on this board.
                            Last edited by Johndill; 07-13-2018, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Problem solved! I put my Alienware GTX 675M in it and it now boots and displays, is there a way of troubleshooting the MXM card or could I heat it up with a hot air reflow station and see of that will work?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Johndill; 07-13-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Great!
                                Could you take pictures of the dead MXM card?

Comment

Great!
                                  Could you take pictures of the dead MXM card?
                                  It's a Quadro 3000M
                                  Attached Files

Comment

MXM graphics cards has 3 different versions which are probably not compatible. In addition, if you buy a MXM card, it can not be trusted. Thus, finding and buying a compatible MXM card takes time.
                                    to test the old card, first check whether the tantalum capacitors or the coils are shorted or not. but probably, the gpu chip should be failed.
                                    Last edited by caspian; 07-13-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Its MXM3.0b . http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...581056/page-72
                                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                        Thanks, it looks like regular GTX cards will work with driver mods

Comment

Working...
                                        X