Plasma 50" Vizio P50HDTV10A Flashing no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 50" Vizio P50HDTV10A Flashing no picture

Hey guys, I got a vizio plasma tv that's having flashing problems with the screen once its turned on. I'm about to open it up but I'm not sure what the problem is. Bad Ysus?

Heres a video to better see it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8cp...ature=youtu.be

Re: Plasma 50" Vizio P50HDTV10A Flashing no picture

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18495

The vertical bar in the middle makes me think you have a buffer issue in addition to a possible Y-Sus issue.
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Dang I didn't see any of those threads... I just searched up P50HDTV and got zero results...

Comment

Alright so I decided to repair this one.
        This is probably a buffer and Ysus problem.
        I found that the lower buffer board is bad, I'll probably be replacing the mosfets on it.

For the Ysus board, all fuses are still good but I'll be replacing both IPMs on it.
        On the labels on the heatsinks it has YPPD-J015E-C and YPPD-J016E-C.
        I'm looking on ebay the YPPD-J016E is pretty cheap only $16 but the J015E is $40.
        However I noticed that they are ALL seller refurbished! How reliable are they? If they are refurbished does that mean they just pick up used bad IPMs, repair them, and just resell them?

If that's true does that mean there is a way to actually repair the IPM itself?

Comment

I can't remember who, and I'm not in front of a PC to conveniently do a search, but I remember that someone on here tried to repair an IPM. I've never purchased non-new IPMs, and I'm not sure I'd trust a non-new IPM given their failure rates.

Comment

I cant seem to find anywhere thatll sell new IPMs either.

Comment

I'd trust Coppell: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YPPD-J015C-Y...-/110666219259

Comment

Finally got all the pieces I need to fix this tv (damn china shipping). Replaced both IPMs on the Ysus (I would guess only one of them had failed hence the cost of the other one was so low, $12 while the other was $40)

And replaced the one shorted FET I found on the lower y-buffer board.

Voila! the TV is back to life, ran for an hour so far! picture is great besides the occasional red sparkles on the top.. I adjusted the voltages to where its not really noticeable when a full picture is playing. Besides I doubt anyone actually watches a 50 inch television that's 2 feet away to notice it.

This is my first successful IPM repair. IPMs took forever to remove... and the new ones were just as difficult trying to solder them in also! It would probably be impossible without pouring so much flux on it first..
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Glitcher; 10-10-2013, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I refused to use anything but a desoldering gun to replace IPMs when I was repairing LG-based TVs. Otherwise, it was just a pain in the butt.

Comment

Well after putting all the parts together a thin red vertical appeared... looks like a bad panel. I actually have a spare panel for this model however when I took it out of storage, one of the ribbon cables were bent... but I tried anyway and transferred all the parts. The old vertical line is gone but there's three more where the bent ribbon cable is. Looks like this project is toast (some horrible luck lately) =(

However I managed to sell the parts on ebay.
                    I noticed the parts are actually worth more than what I was expecting to sell the entire TV itself...! (and this is pricing at the lowest of the other posts so I actually can get a fast sale)

Guess the only thing good about this TV is the parts itself. Guess I'll be getting more tools for those pesky IPMs.
                    Last edited by Glitcher; 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Good to know the parts on this model sell if I can't get mine working properly

Comment

Working...
                      X