Motherboard POST card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard POST card

Are they any good on newer desktop and laptop motherboards?

Which ones are good?

My main objective is to see whether it's a faulty BIOS or something else is faulty.

Re: Motherboard POST card

Hello, receive a warm greeting

A query, in your experience, it is worth buying those cards for the diagnosis of PCI-e ports.

I'm starting to repair motherboards, I still have a lot to learn and get tools for my workshop.

That's why I consult about the usefulness of these cards.

It happens to me that I have motherboards that turn on and off after a while and that disconcerts me.

Thank you and I remain attentive to your comments.

Comment

i dont think they will help, for 2 reasons.
      1: the numbers are sent from the bios - no bios, no numbers.
      2: most problems either prevent the board starting or cause randon shit when it's running.

Comment

I have a throughput of motherboards, mostly I work on Macbook products and thus don't have a lot of use for Motherboard post cards, that said a brief look through Ebay shows a substantial number of them and with prices starting at under £5.00 so why not. Your probably better off with a few pieces of test equipment and boardview packages, I have a vast libray of boardview stuff that I would not be without for testing and diagnosis.

Comment

Hi. sjt and llonen

Thank you for your response, I see that it is better to invest in something else.

Comment

In my experience, POST cards only appear to be -somewhat- useful for -older- desktop motherboards. On newer motherboards, I don't always get a POST code. And on laptops... well the type of POST card I used on laptops required a parallel port and those have been gone from laptops for a long time now. So for laptops... no, not useful.

In short, POST cards have a very limited use on my bench.
            Last edited by momaka; 12-29-2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

laptops now post through the modem/wifi socket or an extra connector - seen it on the schematics

Comment

I know that now there are POST cards that connect to the mini PCI slot where the WIFI card goes. I will review the schemes in more detail.

Thanks for your coments

Comment

Well given the current price of a range of POST cards and the plethora of them about, I wold say try one if you think your going to use it. Its not like its going to be a significant investment, that said I have never had a board or Macbook in where one of these would be of the slightest use.

Comment

Thanks, that I wanted to know.

Here in Venezuela it is difficult to get currencies $ and locally they have a prohibitive price.

Better to invest in something else.

Comment

Well, a lot of talk but I don't see any recommendations about the cards. Which cards has anyone tried? Something that works using miniPCIe, m.2 or even DDR3/DDR4 slot (apparently there is a DDR2/DDR3 post card out there but I have no idea if it even works as promised).

Only need it for laptops.

Comment

have abou 5 types of post cards for laptop but nearly non of them will help. works only on older laptops /ddr2/ and codes they give will not help

Comment

I purchased a mini PCI-E card and it doesn't work in any laptop I have here to repair. Some DELL Inspirion N7110 didn't even boot with the card inserted.
                          Some Asus just shows 0 all the time

Comment

Working...
                          X