Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello new to the forum looking to repair my tv

Comment

hi pls help me i need la-7452p bios

Comment

hello. i'm from Ukraine, i'm working in service center. i need some schematics for hp mb, for example cure_dis_hr_hpb mv_mb_v1. thanks

Comment

hi, i'm a new member i write from italy Sicilia,
          i work for a laboratory of notebook and smartphone and i would like this forum Very Good

Comment

Hi, i'm meo. I'm here to make friends, learn and contribute when i can. Thanks!

Comment

how do.. often scan by this place looking for tips and took the plunge as they say today..

been around electronics for years mainly fixing cb's and the likes but do televisions and most electronic items..

any tips i find will be greatly appreciated and any knowledge I have i can pass on I will share..

Comment

Hello,
                Found this site on a google search for life of electrolytic caps. I have a ton of old electrolytics I have collected over the last 35 years and wanted to see if I could "save" them (sounds like I can with reforming). I really don't trust the ones that come from overseas nowadays from the auction sites. I have original Spragues and Rubycons that are from the 80's and 90's that I want to keep using if I can and I think I found the place to discuss that.

take care

Comment

Hi guys, just decided to join your lovely forums. I found this place when I was searching for capacitors for replacing the bad power bord that are on a board on my sony bravia xbr43x830c

Hope

Comment

Hi friends I'm Rachey from Morocco I'm repairman I want share everthing I know with you and I want learn more from you ..;

Comment

Greetings all, found this site the other day whilst poking around the net looking for fixes for a monitor. So decided to join in.

I'm Jay from Asutralia

Comment

Hi! I am a newbie to electronics. Hope to learn a bit from this forum!

Comment

hi bon from philippines...

Comment

looking for lenovo G480 lg4858l EN25Q64 bin file thank you

Comment

Hello, I'm from the US. Looking for some advise on a vizio 37" TV that needs to "warm up" to display video correctly.

Comment

Hi All,

I'm Simon from Portugal.

I recently went down a strange path that started with a lightsaber and ended with me here, right now, talking to you...

I'm a DIY guy. I like to fix things, I like to hack things and transform them into something else, I like problem solving and I like puzzles... Anything that requires logic or creativity actually. I usually have a very logically mindset (I'm a programmer) but I also came from a background of arts, design and photography, so I enjoy anything creative too. I pride myself in having very steady hands and the ability to eventually build whatever I set my mind to.

So there I was, online, looking for a realistic lightsaber. My 38yo girlfriend had this thing where, whenever I asked her what she wanted for Christmas, she would always answer "a lightsaber", then she would go on to tell how she has asked for one every year, since she was about 6 or 7, and never got it... So there I was, checking out sabers, and realising how expensive these things were. Best ones seemed to be in the US, so that meant I would have to pay another 35% on top of the asking price (for customs)... I was already up to 600 bucks for a toy sword...

Then I thought maybe I could build one... Then I thought it would take too long, would require too much machinery and tools that I may not have, and would be impossible to keep a secret from my girlfriend.

So I kept on looking. I finally chose a nice model (The Guardian, from Ultrasabers.com, if you must know), ordered it and was about to close my browser when I saw an article about someone who had built a realistic lightsaber with an actual gem stone being lit by the light, which sold for almost 15,000 on ebay. My brain told me I should maybe think again about trying to build a few myself. I have no doubt I can, it's really a simple device, more about the crafting of the hilt than anything else, the blade would be purchased, and an arduino nano with a few sensors, a speaker and some LED's would be enough... Easy-peasy, right?

I ordered a few arduinos to play around a bit, and I started watching a few youtube tutorials on electronics. I got the gist of it, basic components and how they work, I set up a few arduino projects with sensors, joystick, lcd display and motors. I had a lot of fun doing them, so I decided to get a bit more serious about learning electronics.

some days later I stumble upon some of Louis Rossmann's videos on macbook repairs. It blew my mind that people could actually solder those tiny smd parts that I was sure only machines could build. I just had to try that! So I bought myself a half-decent multimeter (Extech Ex330) and I got myself some esd tweazers, solder, solder paste, wick, flux and a quite cheap rework station. It's a YiHua 853D. I know it's not brilliant, but boy am I having fun with it (and yes, the hot air plastic handle will melt at high temperatures unless you unscrew it and cut about 1 cm off before screwing it back in).

Then I went scavenging for old boards and I spent a few nights just removing components then putting them back... Taking them off... Putting them back... Sounds silly and boring right? But Man, how I enjoy it! I absolutely love the precision work.

In the meantime I kept watching Louis Rossmann's videos, which seem to never run out (I've surely watched over 50 by now), and I feel I have learnt quite a lot. I now understand how to follow through apple schematics with about 70% of confidence (some things still confuse me).

Then the other day a guy at work mentioned he had a 2013 macbook pro that had not worked in 3 years, and asked me if I wanted to give it a go. I jumped at the opportunity of a real-life problem, and brought the laptop home.

It's funny how while watching Louis' videos, I could follow through the whole thing, and one time I even shook my head when he said 'it must be this resistor', and proceeded to change it, only to discover it was not. I was pleased that I had figured it out before he did. That was a nice little morale boost for me... But when I sat down, alone, with the schematics and my co-workers dead board in front of me, things started to get a little more complicated.

First I got worried after following many paths that ended up leading to components that simply were not there. Not only were they not there, there was no trace of solder to even indicate that they had been there once before. I thought maybe I had the wrong pdf file and board view, so I searched for other ones. Same deal. Then I finally noticed that the only thing in common about all the missing parts was that they all said 'No Stuff'.

A google and a half later, I was relieved that all was fine, and I wasn't missing 150 tiny resistors after all.

Some other paths I went down led me to pages that don't exist in the PDF. (This is a 820-3115-B board)

Then I decided to stop all the randomness and just test the freakin' power rails in sequence, like Louis always says you should do.

Then I found a problem. At least I think it's the problem. To my newbie mind everything indicates the problem is this... But something tells me I may be wrong. I have no confidence in my electronic decisions yet, and since I don't have spare parts or boards to test my theory, I came here to expose my case and get some second opinions from the experts.

Hence, here I am! (and it's very nice to meet you all)

Comment

Hi everyone!
                                  I've just registered because I want to get in the electronics repair business, and there seems to exist an experienced community here with a lot of will to help, teach, and learn!
                                  I Hope that I can do the same here!
                                  Thanks guys!

Comment

Hello my name is Smitty and I like to fix stuff. I repair video games and tv's as I can find them on Craigslist either free or very cheap. To fix these things gives me satisfaction and joy. I hope to acquire the help of others to repair my stuff. If I can offer helpful input I will whenever appropriate. Thanks for the site.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                                      Just found this great forum, and I'm joining hoping to help and get helped.
                                      Thanks
                                      AF

Comment

What's up people? Newbie FOB here. Came to sink some of my troubles...the bottle wasn't helping anymore

J/k. Like most here (i'm sure), i'm hands on and i came across the site while looking for info on a fix for something. Time to dig. Let's see what i can learn before my time is up!

Comment

Hello everybody!! my name is Mark, I am from Guatemala, I enjoy fixing computers, I start doing that in 2007 when my old Compaq die, after studying online I realized that this is for me, and I so interested to learn and share and I see that this is the place to do that.

Greetings!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X