No announcement yet.

Battery charging / power supply switch board for a Red Rhino electric scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battery charging / power supply switch board for a Red Rhino electric scooter

Let me see if the guy can bring the bike thing in tomorrow. I thought the charger port was the white 2 pin thing, but maybe that's the throttle or something and the charger is connected to a set of the spades.

Either way, CN1 has no continuity with PJ+ or -, it's on the - side of the white 2 pin connector. Or at least, I'm assuming it's the - side as the other pin is on the same circuit as PJ+

Comment

Re: Battery charging / power supply switch board for a Red Rhino electric scooter

Ok, the white 2 pin connector is indeed throttle. Sorry about that, I misunderstood from the guy. The charger does connect to the second set of 2 spade pins. So, the throttle is connected on the - side to CN1 which then goes to 86.

I'm assuming since the hot side of the throttle is connected to PJ+ that when you engage the throttle it powers the coil to engage the relay?

Comment

It looks the 2-pin connector CN1 is just a safety interlock, if it's open circuit pin 1-2 then the relay coil can get no power and the relay is off.
        If power was off then pin 1-2 shorted together by a switch, still doesn't explain how the SCR gets power in the first place at M+, to turn on and latch.
        The throttle, I'm not sure where it connects to anything. It needs battery power and an output to the motor.

If you have a bench power supply and a couple car light bulbs, you can try test the board, see if it works.
        Attached Files

Comment

got it,
          it's a circuit to stop you doing standing starts.
          iff you push the scooter the motor generates voltage that passes through the resistors and enables the throttle.

it's either to protect a weak motor or for legal reasons in markets where "assist" is legal but full-electric isnt.

it would be temping to replace it all with a high-current variable PWM drive.
          Last edited by stj; 11-16-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

It is confusing, you are referring the Gray 15 Ohms resistor as CN1.
            CN1 is the designator for that white 2-pin connector.
            RT1 is the designator for the fuse and is outlined as white box.
            The 15 Ohm grey resistor should have designator as R3.
            We need the reading in Ohms when measure between relay pin 85, pin 86, etc.
            For examples:
            What is the resistance (Ohms) between Q 1 'A' pin and relay pin 85?
            What is the resistance (Ohms) between Q 1 'A' pin and relay pin 86?
            What is the resistance Resistor R3 pin 1 and relay pin 85?
            What is the resistance Resistor R3 pin 1 and relay pin 86?
            Also you have indicated that CN1 connector goes to the charger, is that true?
            Because based on Redwire post #23, it is not.
            I thinks we need to really see how the board is really connected to other parts/boards.
            Redwire schematic may be how the board is connected: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1573942542
            But I still cannot see how the SCR is turned on, may be from back EMF of the motor when switch to CN 1 is close and the wheel is turned manually at the same time?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by budm; 11-16-2019, 06:23 PM.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

CN1 is not connected as it should be .look at the pic .the right side is broken copper

Comment

OK, the e-scooter (relay) will not activate unless there is movement (generator action from the motor which turns on the SCR) and the throttle switch is closed.
                When you let off on the throttle switch, the relay turns off instantly but the SCR only stays off after the scooter stops.

e-scooters are popular now and the bar crowd rent them and drive a bit crazy late at night. I worry about getting drunk and crashing one, I haven't tried them yet, no idea what the safety interlocks are. Lyft website has no info on the controls.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by redwire; 11-16-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                  It is confusing, you are referring the Gray 15 Ohms resistor as CN1.
                  CN1 is the designator for that white 2-pin connector.
                  RT1 is the designator for the fuse and is outlined as white box.
                  The 15 Ohm grey resistor should have designator as R3.
                  We need the reading in Ohms when measure between relay pin 85, pin 86, etc.
                  For examples:
                  What is the resistance (Ohms) between Q 1 'A' pin and relay pin 85?
                  What is the resistance (Ohms) between Q 1 'A' pin and relay pin 86?
                  What is the resistance Resistor R3 pin 1 and relay pin 85?
                  What is the resistance Resistor R3 pin 1 and relay pin 86?
                  Also you have indicated that CN1 connector goes to the charger, is that true?
                  Because based on Redwire post #23, it is not.
                  I thinks we need to really see how the board is really connected to other parts/boards.
                  Redwire schematic may be how the board is connected: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1573942542
                  But I still cannot see how the SCR is turned on, may be from back EMF of the motor when switch to CN 1 is close and the wheel is turned manually at the same time?
                  Yes, you are correct on the initial mislabeling of the components on my end. I'm super rusty! Sorry.

Q1A -> 85 : 80.4ohms
                  Q1A -> 86 : starts at ~0.5, ticks down to 0.1
                  R3 -> 85 : starts at 1.0, ticks down to 0.0
                  R3 -> 86: 80.3ohms
                  85 -> 86: 80.3ohms
                  Q1A -> R3: 80.4ohms

CN1 does not go to the charger, it goes up to the front of the bike. I don't have it here, but like redwire and STJ say, it seems to be some kind of safety switch.

M spades go to the motor, PJ goes to the battery, and the other set of spades goes to the charger. CN1 goes to the front of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    CN1 is not connected as it should be .look at the pic .the right side is broken copper
                    It's hard to see, but there is a delineation on the top of the board that goes around the plastic of CN1. It does seem that one side of CN1 connects only to the hot side of PJ, the battery, and 87A/30 on the relay. The other side connects to R3 and 86 on the relay.

Comment

Man, I really slept on this thread cause I'm so busy with some other stuff. The guy who's scooter it is asked me about it. Any ideas what to repair/replace or improve to make it more failsafe? Thanks!

Comment

If you get it otherwise working, the improvement is to add another resistor or put a fuse between the charger input and battery+ instead of that jumper of solder...

Comment

Working...
                        X