Inspiron 5570 Charging Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspiron 5570 Charging Issue

Working on an Inspiron 5570. Initially it had a short to ground which I traced down to a blown ceramic cap (circled in attached photo). Removed the cap et voila, short was gone and the system powered on and charged -- until you unplugged the power adapter and replugged it, at which point the light on the power adapter would slowly fade out and the system would not detect the charger. Pull another cap from a junk board and soldered it back on but it still has the same behavior:

If the system has no battery it will auto power on when the charger is connected and run fine. If the battery is connected and the power adapter is hooked up it will charge and work perfectly until the first time you unplug and then replug the charger at which point the computer will stay on running off battery power but will no longer detect the charger. The light on the Dell charger will slowly fade out (vs fast off with the initial short) whereas the light on a universal charger I tested with goes to a fast pulse. If the system is powered off and the battery is unplugged it will again charge the battery the first time it is plugged in, but stops detected the charger after the first replug.

I did see a similar post about a charging problem on this model where the culprit was apparently a resistor:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=847917
    Attached Files

Re: Inspiron 5570 Charging Issue

check fet for short on battery output path.

Comment

Thanks for the tip brother! You were connect. Replaced the mosfet shown with one from a donor board, problem solved.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good job. you posted the pics as well to help others.

Comment

Ran into another of these, same exact problem

Comment

Working...
          X