i have a dell dimension 3000 and would like to upgrade it with:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz 1MB 800 MHz SL7E5 Processor Socket 478

memory wise i'm a little confused
    i understand it will take two one gig sticks of memory

pc3200 ddr-333 184-pin 2.50v nonECC

pc3200 ddr-400 184-pin 2.50v nonECC

witch will give me 800fsb ?

Re: upgrading memory dimension 3000

You want PC3200 (ddr-400) I don't believe there is "PC3200 ddr-333", that would be PC2700 (ddr333)

Comment

It doesn't matter which one you use, as the RAM frequency will be set independently of the CPU. CPU will still run at 800 MHz FSB. However, for the sake of running the RAM at the same clock as the system main clock (200 MHz), then use the DDR400 RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by klein View Post
        pc3200 ddr-333 184-pin 2.50v nonECC

pc3200 ddr-400 184-pin 2.50v nonECC
        2700 is 333, 3200 is 400

also, make sure your bios is flashed to A03 before upgrading the CPU

1GB DDR is not cheap, we're talking $45 a stick, relative to DDR2 2GB sticks new that can be $15, or DDR3 1600 4GB sticks that run $30

you're money is best put to something like a core 2 board/cpu combo used off ebay with some ddr2, a new case. You can probably keep your HDD because a lot of c2d boards still have ATA ports, but you would have to get one with two, because you don't want to put your ATA drive on the same cable as your cd/dvd drive. Or get a sata hdd. They're pretty cheap now a days new like a 500g, or sometimes even 1gb are cheaper because they're in high supply.

i'm assuming you know how to install the OS, in the case of a c2D I would recommend Windows 7 and 4GB of ram. If you want to go all out, you can get a board with 4 slots and go for 8, but thats somewhat overkill. the performance difference between what you're trying to upgrade to with the D3000 is night and day

edit: Yay! 3000 posts!
        Last edited by Uranium-235; 08-23-2018, 12:20 AM.
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          1GB DDR is not cheap, we're talking $45 a stick, relative to DDR2 2GB sticks new that can be $15, or DDR3 1600 4GB sticks that run $30
          Whaaaaaaa???????????
          You can get used DDR and DDR2 memory on eBay for around $1 to $2 per GB if you looked a bit more. I typically look for scrap memory / memory for scrap. All sticks I have gotten so far (over 30) from various sellers have always worked. And most of the RAM is usually from quality OEM brands too.

If that sounds too sketchy for you, there's always the refurb/tested-recycled RAM on eBay, which also goes for much cheaper. But $45 for a stick of 1 GB of DDR? That's a straight rip off!

As for upgrading that Dimension 3000... yeah, maybe not very worthwhile, although that can also depend on what you need it for. If it's just for typing or some specific task that does not require internet use - yes, you can still probably get more use out of it. But for internet browsing, I suggest going with something Core 2 Duo or newer too. My parents had a Dimension 3000 and I kept it going pretty much until 1 year ago, as they rarely used it for browing and mostly for typing. But eventually, it just got too slow even to check mail for them, so I had to replace it. I still have it and will eventually re-purpose it.
          Last edited by momaka; 08-23-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I was talking about new prices, sorry
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Whaaaaaaa???????????
              You can get used DDR and DDR2 memory on eBay for around $1 to $2 per GB if you looked a bit more. I typically look for scrap memory / memory for scrap. All sticks I have gotten so far (over 30) from various sellers have always worked. And most of the RAM is usually from quality OEM brands too.

If that sounds too sketchy for you, there's always the refurb/tested-recycled RAM on eBay, which also goes for much cheaper. But $45 for a stick of 1 GB of DDR? That's a straight rip off!

As for upgrading that Dimension 3000... yeah, maybe not very worthwhile, although that can also depend on what you need it for. If it's just for typing or some specific task that does not require internet use - yes, you can still probably get more use out of it. But for internet browsing, I suggest going with something Core 2 Duo or newer too. My parents had a Dimension 3000 and I kept it going pretty much until 1 year ago, as they rarely used it for browing and mostly for typing. But eventually, it just got too slow even to check mail for them, so I had to replace it. I still have it and will eventually re-purpose it.
              I have got a Dell Dimension 3100 that takes 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM.
              Yep just get a new computer or build it yourself.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                I was talking about new prices, sorry
                Buying new stuff for an old computer is always an unnecessary waste of money. (Not that upgrading a very old one isn't... but again, that all depends on the application - if the PC has a specific use or is fine for what is needed, then it's not a waste).

Comment

depending on the OS your running and how much ram you have now it may not be worth the effort, then again you can get the ram you need on eBay for like $5.

Comment

Working...
                  X