LG 26LC2R - ZJ Bulging SAMWHA caps on psu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 26LC2R - ZJ Bulging SAMWHA caps on psu

Hi,i've got this lg lcd tv that powers up,but doesn't display anything on screen.I've opened it up and found 4 SAMWHA caps bulging on the psu.Im thinking if i replace these i might get it going again,dunno.Only problem is im not sure what to replace them with! You guys are the experts here on caps,so i was hoping you could point me in the right direction.Ok,heres the stats of these 4 caps,2 of each,

SAMWHA
    1000uf 35v (+-20%)
    U4A PET 130*C

SAMWHA
    1000uf 25v (+-20%)
    U4A PET 130*C

Re: LG 26LC2R - ZJ Bulging SAMWHA caps on psu

Replace with Nippon Chemi-Con KY (or KZM if available). They are long life units too.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Thanks japlytic ; ) Are Nippon Chemi-Con available in the same spec ie 130*C,or can i use lower values in temperature with these caps.Its the 130*C thats throwing me off a little,they're not the easiest caps to find.Btw if you could post a link for these,i'd appreciate it.

Comment

130C? Probalby a lie. I've never seen a cap that was higher than 125C, and those are cornell dubiler.

Yet to see a UCC, nichicon, rubycon, sanyo, samxon, panasonic, etc... with a temp rating higher than 105C.

You know those didn't live up to their 130C rating due to being bulged, unless that tv doubles as a toaster.

As japlytic said, just some 105C KY's will do.

Comment

Ya,i've never seen them either until i did a bit searching for these.They're out there,but not a huge selection.Heres some 130C Rubycon series RX30 i've found,whats your thoughts on these?

Rubycon RX30
          Last edited by shagster; 10-25-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Just finished putting in caps i had lying around (two 1000uf 35v-one old cap other new) and (two new1000uf 16v).I know i needed two 25v caps,but i thought i'd just give it a try! powered it up and to my surprise it works now
            Im not going to leave these in,this was just to test if it worked.Now im definitely going to get new caps to replace these.So wheres a good site to get these nippon chemi - con caps?

Comment

Lytics up to 150C aren't at all uncommon in industrial apps.
              Just not usually found in PC's or in most consumer products. [Except cars.]
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

I usually use Newark for my Chemicon orders their warehouse is in the Carolinas so I get it in 2 days ground. Digikey ships from MN and Mouser ships from CA they both should have Chemicons as well.
                Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-25-2009, 07:44 PM.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Samwha only currently lists one series that's 130C.
                  Probably replaced the old PN you have on those.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Ya pcbonez,these are the same VA series,forgot to put that down earlier.Also
                    i had a look around all those sites krankshaft,but i couldn't find any Nippon Chemi-Con KY or KZM,they must be tough caps to get hold of!
                    What about the Panasonic FC series,does it matter if they're bi polar caps?

Comment

Heres two not so good images of the removed caps

Btw,there was 4,but i hacked it open to have a look at it
                      Last edited by shagster; 10-26-2009, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Oh,
                        I thought U4A was the series... LOL

Technically Bi-polar would work in place of polar if the other specs were okay but that's not what you want.

KY are at Digikey and maybe Newark.
                        KZM would be only Newark as far as I know.

Look at the data sheet. That's why I provided it.
                        SAMWHA - 1000uf 35v - 10x20mm - Ripple:960 - ESR:0.073
                        SAMWHA - 1000uf 25v - 12.5x25mm - Ripple:1100 - ESR:0.055

FC's ESR/Ripple are fine for that but the FC 1000uF/35v is 12.5mm.
                        ----- Will it fit?
                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10305-ND

Nichcon PW have the same Ripple/ESR as FC but endurance for 12.5mm is 7000 hrs to FC's 3000 hrs. [And PW is cheaper.]
                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1872-ND

FM has better Ripple/ESR and the same endurance as PW. [And is only a few cents different.]
                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12405-ND

You can use 35v caps in both places if buying 10+ pieces in the same size appeals to you. [And they'll physically fit in both places.]

If you MUST have 10mm for the 35v spot another hunting expedition is called for.
                        All the 1000uF/35v I found in stock were 12.5mm.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Hmm,
                          Looks like a size typo in Samwha's data table.

To tell you the truth I'd go with the RX30 for the temp range.

japlytic is probably right and the others would work fine but I'd be on a paranoia trip after I was done about whether the 130c was really important there or not.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Since I now know the series of the original capacitors, I found that Nichicon BT series (125C) would be slightly larger (16x25 for 35V and 12.5x25 for 25V).
                            But I doubt that the capacitors in a TV would get anywhere near 130C (or even 105C or even 85C).
                            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys Just measured the caps,i think im fine with 12.5 diameter max on both.Cause the test caps i put in to replace the 25v samwha were 12.5 dia.Ok after all that consideration checking around,i went with the best bang for me buck,lol.Ya,im a cheap skate Well im fixing this for someone else,so i dont want to charge them a lot,especially if it breaks down again later.I wouldn't care if it was mine.Well heres my choice,with all your help of course

1000uf 35v

1000uf 25v

Comment

Here's the sizes of the caps if you're interested,they're no where near the sizes on the data sheet! Maybe that U4A is some kind of date code,4 meaning 2004,dunno!

SAMWHA 1000uf 35v = (12.5 x 25)

SAMWHA 1000uf 25v = (10 x 24)
                                Last edited by shagster; 10-26-2009, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Just to update on this,got the Nippon KY and Rubycon RX30 caps.Installed them and its up and running fine ; )

Comment

Excellent work shagster. I'm a big fan of LG LCDs (monitors and TVs), not sure why, I just like em for some reason. I'm digging your screenname too, it's groovy.

Comment

Working...
                                    X