Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Jetway N2PAP-LITE motherboard recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
Yes. Actually, the only thing that wasn't supported was the diagnostic LEDs header (using the Jetway BIOS).
Lol, that's funny.
At least it works, though.

There was a popular mod a few years ago for the ECS MCP61xx-xx motherboards that involved flashing the BIOS on them from an aBit board and getting some overclocking features unlocked, as well more CPUs supported. Some people had a problem where their CMOS menus would "dance around" with the mod, but the board was still stable, lol.

I only came about finding that information when I got a 1st gen Phenom CPU recently and though about using it in the ECS MCP61PM-AM motherboard that came with my Gateway GT-5656 PC. Turns out, only the updated version of that motherboard could take that CPU, so I never tried the BIOS flash mod. And that PC already has an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU, which can't really be overclocked much more, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wester547 View Post
The Radeon 9500 Pro I used to have, that I did droves of 3D gaming on, died 8 years ago (displayed omnipresent artifacts during 2D and 3D applications). Don't know if it was the GPU or RAM that died as the Infineon RAM ran hotter than the GPU under full load.
I've been wondering about that for a while now... but it seems it is the GPU, chip, unfortunately. And by that, I mean the BGA solder contacts between the core itself and the GPU substrate, not the BGA contacts between the substrate and the rest of the video card.

Main reason I am concluding this is because I bought a Medion Radeon 9800 XL (R360 chip) about half a year ago, which turned out to be faulty (artifacts in games, barely-visible yellow shadows behind text in Windows). It uses a much more different (and IMO improved) PCB layout/design than the standard Radeon 9800. As such, its RAM and MOSFETs run very cool. But the GPU chip, on the other hand, came stock with a tiny heatsink and ran extremely hot.

I put one of my modded heatsinks on it, and once in a while, that video card would work without artifacts. So I tested it in games, and the RAM still ran cool.

Thus, this is why I am concluding that it is NOT the RAM that is failing. Moreover, the R360 core uses the same low-K process that was developed for and used on the Radeon 9600. The 9600 cards run very cool - yet they fail all the time too. Just ask ChaosLegionaire - he has a few in his stock pile.

So IMO, all early flip-chip ATI video cards are prone to failure. I think their HD series was the first one where they finally got the issue taken care of. For nVidia, it was the 9000 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wester547 View Post
The issue with nVidia's cards started with the flip-chip variants of the FX series, and possibly some of the earlier notebook chips which used flip-chip technology rather than the older but more reliable wire-bond technology.
Well, the R300 was ATI's first flip-chip video card. So I don't find it too surprising that they didn't get everything right the first time.

Likewise, nVidia switched to flip-chip for the FX 5700 cards and above.

That said, GPUs made on wire-bond technology can fail too. I also recently acquired a GeForce 4 TI4600 and thought I had gotten another indestructible piece of history video card.

Well... I thought wrong! That TI 4600 was artifacting straight from the get-go. A reflow fixed it... and I added a much bigger heatsink. So let's see how long it lasts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
The Core 2 era apparently was the worst for Nvidia, except for the GeForce 9500 and GeForce 9400, which seem to be tough cookies.
At least my eVGA GeForce 9500 GT was a tough cookie, just slow...
Yes. nVidia finally came to their senses with the 9000 series and fixed / greatly improved on the bumpgate issue. Their cards seemed a lot more resilient after that, and probably up to the GTX 400 / Fermi series - then we started seeing issues again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
The GeForce 9800 GTs seem to mysteriously drop like flies!

I knew someone who just got a GeForce 9800 GT in 2009, IIRC. One day in 2009, IIRC, it suddenly disappeared and the BIOS skipped it and booted with onboard video, the BIOS suddenly failed to detect the GeForce 9800 GT...
That's because many of those 9800 GT video cards come with a very under-sized single-slot cooler and they run super-hot - typically 60-65C idle!

Under load, they hit high 80's C. And sometimes even higher. I have a co-worker who built several older gaming PCs so we can do oldschool LAN parties in his house. After an hour of his PCs running, the room fills with that burning-hot PCB smell. At it is all coming from the 9800 GT video cards he used.

So at those temperatures, no BGA and flip-chip will last, no matter what ATI and nVidia claim to be "safe".
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote