Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these battries ?

^^^^^Spelling fail

Good day folks. Nice and straightforward here: my Braun electric shaver which I've used for the past 5-6 years could definitely do with some new batteries since they're on the wane after such a long time and I feel the need to recharge it a lot more often.

After a lot of effort, since it's waterproof and sealed very tightly, I managed to finally crack the shaver open and get to the batteries buried deep inside. Being that it's a fairly modern device, I was expecting to find a lithium battery in there, but instead I was met by THESE....I though "ok, simple enough. AA NiMh batteries, but then I had a closer look at them and there's a catch: literally, there's a catch at each end They're the most bizarre things ever and as far as I'm concerned they may very well exist in just this one device only. The cell has got two little nipples at each end which engage with some clips in the holder to hold the batteries and also make contact. Outside of that, they're identical in size to AA batteries, but I just couldn't come up with a good (enough) idea of holding them in there, because there's no springs like in normal AA holders - they rely solely on those metal "snaps" to hold them in there, so a regular AA would just fall out, even though I'm sure it would work just fine electrically. I was thinking of shoehorning a washer or something in there, but it wouldn't stay put...my local electronics store WAS able to identify these cells and source them for me, but the price was rather high and I wasn't sure it was worth it, so I thought I'd do some digging on my own. There's no specs on them either (as far as I remember at least, because I don't seem to have taken any pictures all around the label and I'm only assuming that's because there was no info in those areas).

Any ideas as to what these are ? I HATE it when they do stuff like this just to force you to throw away a perfectly good device. I CAN use it with the adapter, but what's the point ? I don't have an outlet in my bathroom and certainly don't want to lug an extension cord with me when I travel....damn crooks :|
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dannyx; 10-28-2018, 12:13 PM.
    Wattevah...

Re: What are these battries ?

You could try a stainless steel rivet,riveted through a washer ,then solder it on .
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

You mean solder it to the batteries ? Wouldn't that be *ahem* "not recommended" ?
      Wattevah...

Comment

Its ok if you don`t leave the soldering iron on it too long, and do the soldering in a safe place and take a few precautions.
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Meh... you could just just get a AAA rechargeable battery and solder wires to each end and inside the device.

700mAh vs 1500-2000mAh ... it will have long enough charge to last a shave.

Comment

I could do the same with AAs then...even better. All I care about is capacity and not having to recharge them so often.
            Wattevah...

Comment

I haven't seen those oddball battery pins before. I would try pry them off, they don't look spot-welded.

For my shavers, I solder wires on AA Eneloop Pro 2,500mA batteries.
              Just use flux, pre-solder the wire ends and use the least heat possible, do it quickly to not melt the internal seal.
              The shaver has been great, maybe too good. New battery internal resistance must be lower or because I oiled/greased it up. It runs must faster so I added a little resistor to slow it down- shaver burn hurts. Who needs 7,000RPM?

Older Brauns have a "poison pill" so that you can't reuse the shaver after opening the case. A metal pin falls down and jams the cord-jack so you can't use it
              Last edited by redwire; 10-28-2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

The one I got (thankfully) only gave me a hard time opening it because of some very tough clips, but other than that there's no "anti-servicing" mechanism.

It also uses a constant current circuit (?), so no matter how high the input voltage is, the motor always runs at a constant velocity. Conversely, when the battery is low, it still runs smoothly and you never actually hear it getting slower. There's a battery monitoring circuit in there which just shuts it off and prevents you from turning it on again until you charge it when the battery gets too low (a red LED also flashes to indicate why it wouldn't turn on). It's been doing this a lot recently: in between passes, when I stop to rinse my face, the shaver would suddenly decide it's had enough and wouldn't turn back on again, even though it wasn't showing any signs of slowing down a second ago, so I have to trick it by briefly plugging in the charger and then going back to the washroom to pick up where I left off....
                Wattevah...

Comment

Do you have or someone that has a battery spot welder you just need to remove the button on the old battery and reuse them with the new battery and you can use AA Eneloop Pro 2,500mA batteries or any good quality batteries
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-28-2018, 05:00 PM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

pull nipples off old ones then place onto new ones ..might not even need soldering or welding .

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                      For my shavers, I solder wires on AA Eneloop Pro 2,500mA batteries.
                      same, but i get my loops from ikea - rebranded:LADDA
                      they are half the price!

Comment

grow a beard ...

Comment

That looks like the replacement I used in my Panasonic ES8243 shaver

Got it from www.akku-wechsel.de

Mine seems to be a standard 14500 with the extra nipple each end

I'm now using the original battery, with nipples removed, in a flashlight which uses a 14500
                          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

14500 is a lithium code, these are NiMH.

Comment

https://www.fix.com/parts/shaver-raz...C-aa-67030923/

Comment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...571562600.html

Comment

There you go....the prices are STILL too high, so I'd be better off hacking something with some more "reasonably" priced NiMhs.....
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

go to ikea.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      same, but i get my loops from ikea - rebranded:LADDA
                                      they are half the price!
                                      Ikea Ladda 2450mAh are $2.50 ea. in Canada and 34,90 lei/4-pack in Romania. I don't see them for sale at Ikea USA. I'll give them a try.
                                      I get Eneloops on sale with the charger kit (about twice the price $5 ea.) so now I have a million chargers lying around.

Men's shavers are such junk now, it makes sense to repair them.
                                      Braun's shavers MSRP over $300 now, $60-$70 for blades and the foils

Comment

yea, shavers are the new dyson vac cleaner as far as prices are concerned!!

what pisses me off is they cost so much and they still put low capacity cells in them.
                                        phillips use 700mA cells in AA format.
                                        wtf - the weakest loops are 1000mA i think.

Comment

Working...
                                        X