Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Auria EQ276W - Looking for Replacement LED Driver

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    No need to replace the glue. It was put there simply to prevent the caps from moving while being soldered at the factory and also helps protect them during shipping of the monitor. (A hard drop can make them pull out of their leads).

That said, also scrape away all the black sooth that has burned from that board. Then wipe with IPA. You might have to do this several times until you see a somewhat less charred PCB underneath. The black sooth can be conductive, so that's why it needs to be cleaned.

You may also have a burned MOSFET and diode. Possibly a controller too. Not an easy fix if you don't have much tools and you've never done any soldering before. But not that hard if you have soldered at least a few times before.
    I was talking about removing the glue from the replacement board I'm getting. Someone in a previous post said the failure wasn't caused by a blown capacitor, but had something to do with the glue that was holding it to the board. You can see from the pic I put in my previous post that the current board is pretty much hosed... I tried cleaning it but the damage was actually into the board. I have no problem soldering, but I don't really have the tools to figure out what components are damaged, other than obvious visual failure. So I guess the real question is when I get the replacement board, I should or should not remove the glue?

Comment

Oh, I see, it's the tan/brown glue under the coils/inductors.
      Yes, definitely remove all of that glue from the replacement board. Looks pretty similar (if not the same thing) to the glue that goes conductive (and corrosive) over time and just shorts things out.

Best way to do it... use brute force on the glue - sharp knife, pliers, cutters, etc. Just be careful not to damage the board or components while doing that.

Comment

Oh, I see, it's the tan/brown glue under the coils/inductors.
        Yes, definitely remove all of that glue from the replacement board. Looks pretty similar (if not the same thing) to the glue that goes conductive (and corrosive) over time and just shorts things out.

Best way to do it... use brute force on the glue - sharp knife, pliers, cutters, etc. Just be careful not to damage the board or components while doing that.
        I got the board I ordered today and the monitor is working again. I was going to scrape off the glue, but I was wondering if the board I got might be an update from the original. The glue on this board is white, not brown.... is there a difference, or should I remove this glue as well?

Comment

Originally posted by jackyl View Post
          The glue on this board is white, not brown.... is there a difference, or should I remove this glue as well?
          What kind of white glue?

If it's soft(er) and feels like rubber or silicone, it's OK.

But if it's hard and off-white / tan and with rough texture, it might be more of the conductive glue that hasn't baked yet.

Most likely it's the former, but worth checking. It would be nice to know the manufacturer has figured out this problem with the glue and corrected it. (Though, it really is silly that they haven't figured it out earlier. The problem with the tan/brown conductive glue has been known for decades! Why some manufacturers insist on using it is beyond my comprehension. Most likely cost-related if I had to guess. Or they know and it's just part of the planned obsolescence scheme. Who knows!)

Comment

What kind of white glue?

If it's soft(er) and feels like rubber or silicone, it's OK.

But if it's hard and off-white / tan and with rough texture, it might be more of the conductive glue that hasn't baked yet.

Most likely it's the former, but worth checking. It would be nice to know the manufacturer has figured out this problem with the glue and corrected it. (Though, it really is silly that they haven't figured it out earlier. The problem with the tan/brown conductive glue has been known for decades! Why some manufacturers insist on using it is beyond my comprehension. Most likely cost-related if I had to guess. Or they know and it's just part of the planned obsolescence scheme. Who knows!)
            Thanks for the info! I just tested it with a pick tool, and it appears this substance is MUCH softer than the glue on the original board. I can pretty easily push into the white substance, but the other glue is like hard plastic.

Comment

Good. That's probably white silicone / RTV. It's okay for electronics. As far as I know, it doesn't cause corrosion and isn't conductive. So you can leave it.

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts; you helped me get my monitor back in use after over a year!

Comment

You're welcome! Glad you reported your success, too - should come helpful for anyone that has one of these and wants to fix it.

Comment

Can you post a link to the board you bought? Mine is still dead a year later. I am so glad that you were able to find a board!

Comment

Found this post via a Google search.

I have the HQ-LED28-1C3 (Rev 2.0) version of the board. A little different.

I appear to have two DCC converters instead of 3 and the board/components are intact.

Issue is that if the monitor is warm-hot, I get flickering with white and vertical lines. So not sure it's just the LED board, but might be the overall power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrh View Post
                        Can you post a link to the board you bought? Mine is still dead a year later. I am so glad that you were able to find a board!
                        Not sure why I didn't get a notice when this was posted, so you might not need it now, but I believe this is the board I bought...

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/653383040158/

Comment

Originally posted by gergnz View Post
                          Found this post via a Google search.

I have the HQ-LED28-1C3 (Rev 2.0) version of the board. A little different.

I appear to have two DCC converters instead of 3 and the board/components are intact.

Issue is that if the monitor is warm-hot, I get flickering with white and vertical lines. So not sure it's just the LED board, but might be the overall power supply.
                          Does it use the same adapter? I started having intermittent flickering (no vertical lines) about a month after the repair. The voltage from the adapter seemed ok, but I decided to replace the OEM with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's much smaller and runs much cooler. It might be worth trying... you can always send it back. Hope that helps.

Comment

Does it use the same adapter? I started having intermittent flickering (no vertical lines) about a month after the repair. The voltage from the adapter seemed ok, but I decided to replace the OEM with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's much smaller and runs much cooler. It might be worth trying... you can always send it back. Hope that helps.

Legend. Yes. I've been thinking it was the overall power supply. Going to take a look at that today. Thanks!

Comment

Not sure why I didn't get a notice when this was posted, so you might not need it now, but I believe this is the board I bought...

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/653383040158/
                              I actually think I still have this monitor in my garage somewhere... for 5 bucks it's worth a shot fixing it, it's a very nice monitor.

Comment

Working...
                              X