Windows XP computer no connection???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows XP computer no connection???

I was using my computer the other day and left it on, later on that day my connection was gone and when i hit 'repair' it said "the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address"

I did not download or update anything for this to happen, i also tried rebooting the computer resetting the modem and system restore to a previous date but nothing worked.

my wireless works fine for my ipod but i need my computer to connect to the internet. Anybody think they can help me? id really appreciate it

also im using Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Re: Windows XP computer no connection???

check device manager an see if nic is registered! does it show conection, but no internet, or no conection/cable uplugged?

Comment

It could be your router or modem, just restart it. The DHCP probably stopped working and a quick reset could solve it

Comment

Try to restore some few days back you can see high light day. but before doing make sure
        device nic working proberly.

Comment

Quote Pentium 4
          "It could be your router or modem, just restart it. The DHCP probably stopped working and a quick reset could solve it"

If that fails go to Start - Run type CMD in the box click ok and then when the black panel comes on type ipconfig and post a screen print.
          Last edited by selldoor; 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I just plugged my modem into my laptop n it said the same thing 'cannot establish an IP Address', does this mean i need a new modem?

Comment

Hey Mojo515, it's recap time, pop open your "kiste", dump data, and wait for some nice Samaritan to help you choose right stuff for your board... And Yes this is ONE of the firsts signs that motherboard is on her way to "green walleys"...

Comment

Originally posted by tmiha71 View Post
                . And Yes this is ONE of the firsts signs that motherboard is on her way to "green walleys"...
                Can you explain a little - do you mean the Modem Motherboard?
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I've seen few times, recaping CPU vrm (actually, I do not do that, except for fun/experiment, can not recommend capacitors, or anything else) yield things as restored wirelles connection/communication (from no connection to useful deegree of throughput, or from unpleasent level of throughput to a decent level of throughput), same thing with wire connection (ethernet 10/100 Mbits/s)...

So basicly it is all about computer motherboard, and what here can be red - CPU vrm (capacitors, and other stuff) is probably source of 90% of problems - related to instabillity/low performance (if computer motherboard worked as advertised in past). And I will add it's 100% related if cpu is powered from +5V rail...

It's recap time (computer motherboard)...

Comment

Tmiha71
                    That is what I thought you were going to say - if you read the thread carefully he has
                    actually tried the modem on his laptop in addition to his pc so I would suggest it is
                    unlikely that he will have motherboard problems on both at the same time.

Mojo515

Are you using wireless or cable connection?

Did you run IPconfig?

Also try "Start" "run" type in MSCONFIG

Click on Services check DCOM and DHCP are running

If they are try clicking on Tools and run Network diagnostics - take a screenprint and post the results.

Comment

Laptops are even worse in cases when CPU-vrm starts giving up (as we can see here in different threads, result heavy damage )...
                      Communication equipement have HEAVY protection (hint: surges, EMI disturbances, etc...)...

As a suggestion, I stand by, it's recap time (computer motherboard)...

But, also accept, all other possibilities should be checked,
                      including : - software errors (worked before)
                      - lightning ( EMI, etc)
                      - elevator (if multi-apartment house )
                      - household hevy load (dying fridge, AC, etc...) starting/stopping
                      - bad PSU ( acctually just after/before problematic mobo )

Actually, am not sure - but i think here, got first hints that vast majority of problems are related to underspecd/obused CPU-vrm designs...

No offense to anyone, when things worked for months/years and then stoped -> it's HW failure, reconfiguring/resetting/restarting is a quick-FIX, not solution...

I'll sit and wait to see outcom of this thread

Comment

dont know how you came up with this!2 unrelated machines with the same problem with dhcp(function of his modem)bad mobo caps?
                        WRONG!!!!!
                        now a busted modem which might be caps is spot on.
                        reset modem and retry.open it up for a look while you are at it.these kinds of glitches often show up as the caps fail.
                        Originally posted by tmiha71 View Post
                        Laptops are even worse in cases when CPU-vrm starts giving up (as we can see here in different threads, result heavy damage )...
                        Communication equipement have HEAVY protection (hint: surges, EMI disturbances, etc...)...

As a suggestion, I stand by, it's recap time (computer motherboard)...

But, also accept, all other possibilities should be checked,
                        including : - software errors (worked before)
                        - lightning ( EMI, etc)
                        - elevator (if multi-apartment house )
                        - household hevy load (dying fridge, AC, etc...) starting/stopping
                        - bad PSU ( acctually just after/before problematic mobo )

Actually, am not sure - but i think here, got first hints that vast majority of problems are related to underspecd/obused CPU-vrm designs...

No offense to anyone, when things worked for months/years and then stoped -> it's HW failure, reconfiguring/resetting/restarting is a quick-FIX, not solution...

I'll sit and wait to see outcom of this thread

Comment

After i plugged the internet cable from my modem to my laptop it said 'couldnt establish IP Address' so i reset the modem again,

when it boot back up i went to 'Open Network and Sharing Center' on my laptop n 'Diagnosed' the wired connection to try n fix the problem (like 'Repair') but it gave me the same message, but strangley when i plugged the internet wire back to the modem n boot up the computer it started working..., n wierd thing is i reset the modem a couple times before when it was hooked to my computer n it didnt help

Thanks guys for the help n ideas, if for some reason it messes up again ill try what i did the first time, if that doesnt work, ill be back

Comment

I've seen some isps have a dhcp release latency, a few times I've had to reset the modem while unplugged from the computer, let the modem completely come up, and then plug it into the computer.

(this was when I was switching from the persons cat5 on their computer to my laptop)
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

From post #1
                              I was using my computer the other day and left it on, later on that day my connection was gone and...
                              @kc8adu
                              Presumption 1: he is using WinXP (computer is not latest technology scream) =>> capacitors ARE OLD (capacitors are not wine, to get better with years).
                              Presumption 2: this is first time it happened ( no solution - asked for help on forum, actually not much relevant if first time, or repeated).

Scenario 1: Computer went to some "LOW POWER with CPU powered" mode, when resumed from this mode, switched instantly to OS (heavy load), and CPU-vrm ( as CPU is THE BIGGEST power consumer) generated some sort of spike/glitch which other parts of computer couldn't swallow -> went to modem (spike) -> broken connection -> problems with laptop connection too (Capacitors overheated -> went out of specs).

Scenario 2: Computer went to some "LOW POWER with CPU off" mode, when resumed from this mode, switched instantly to OS (heavy load), and CPU-vrm /same as in previous case/....(Capacitors did not go through POST, so no self heating /to achieve little better specs/ of capacitors -> result is the same broken connection and other problems).
                              ------------------------------------------------------------
                              Nice story :-), very plausible if we accept the fact that communication equipment is heavy protected from outside world, and that ISP did not have any problems.
                              He'll be back here if things happen again, and if mobo is problem - he sure will be here...
                              Actually if presumption 1 is true, it is enough to recommend exchange of CPU-vrm capacitors.
                              Not sure if allready some/same thoughts saw here ?

Comment

I don't think so. Having some form of surge protection on the modem's phone/cable connections doesn't mean that the modem's caps can't fail. That happened to me. In my case, the filter caps for the modem's own internal voltage regulator failed because they were crap (CapXon brand), not because of any lack of protection or bad caps in the computer.

Comment

im back, modem cant aquire an IP Address, tried doing what i did last time but no bueno, should i just buy a new modem or is there something i can do on my computer to fix it? if i had another computer to test it i would but i dont, but plugging the internet cord into my laptop should give it internet but it wont, what do you guys think?

Comment

I think
                                    Mojo515

Did you run IPconfig?

If they are try clicking on Tools and run Network diagnostics - take a screenprint and post the results.

But you just ignored it last time?

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                      I think
                                      Mojo515

Did you run IPconfig?

But you just ignored it last time?

this help any?

im using a wired connection to my desktop, n after my connection started working i didnt think about it anymore
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Mojo515; 03-30-2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

and according to my internet provider they can tell that my internet works fine, could be the modem, too bad i dont have another computer to try it on, but i plugged the internet chord into my laptop which should grant internet, if i need to get a new modem wtv ill get one but i need to know that the modem is in fact the problem, why im unsure is because i reset my modem a few times n then it worked, but now its not

Comment

Working...
                                        X