X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Originally posted by bloodpuddle
    Bad News-- for me

I have the 226BW with a similar Issue...
    Replaced the 3 caps listed above and still is doing the same exact thing!
    Any ideas? (see my post above for problem decription)
    Also noticed when it does turn on... once in a while the screen starts to flicker and then it goes blank, with blue light on. Usually happens 2 or 3 times in the first 10-15 minutes.. Then its fine all night long...

Maybe one of the other caps? I don't know that much about diag. I do have a DVOM.
    Sounds like a bad cap. I believe Wizard suggested replacing ALL of the caps. Even the cheapest Chinese manufacturer has learned to make caps that don't give any visible indication when they fail. Take a good picture of the circuit board and attach it with the capacitance, voltage, and manufacturer's series of every cap on the board. Someone will make suggestions as to replacements. Typically it will cost under $10 to replace them all with top grade caps.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

about above post... should I try the 2 25V 680uf Capxons ? Is that worth a shot since the other 3 did not fix? If I should try the other 2, which ones from digi-key should I order as replacements

Comment

about above post... should I try the 2 25V 680uf Capxons ? Is that worth a shot since the other 3 did not fix? If I should try the other 2, which ones from digi-key should I order as replacements
        First of all, you need to get the bad caps out there. if one in a group failed, and there are others of same brand/specs around, either they have failed too without visual indication, or they will fail too. You can not troubleshoot accurately with bad caps in there.
        Also, did you notice any noise when the screen flickers? You could have bad lamps in there.
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
        • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
        • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
        • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050
          2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

When screen flickers and goes blank, did not hear any noise.
          Most the time it just dosn't want to turn on at all for more then a second. Until its "warmed up".

the caps I have not yet replaced are:
          Capxon brand:
          680 uF 25v GL 105 DEG C C713 Vent (2 of them)
          47 uF 50V GL 105 DEG C C712 Vent (1 of them)
          150uf 450V could not read other numbers Glued to circuit Board (really big cap)

I used the Letters DEG but actally shows the Degree Symbol on the caps
          Also noticed 7 others, they look totally different
          they look very small blue Hard disc's.. No writing on them at all
          almost look like M&M candy but 1/4 the size of the candy

Would like Part numbers from Digi-Key and any input is welcome too.
          I have pictures if needed. I can E-mail them.
          Resedaguy818@aol.com

Comment

yup, you have capxon, the hands-down #1 killer crapacitor found in displays. get rid of those.

i would try mouser.com instead of digi-key. the site seemed to be better.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

When screen flickers and goes blank, did not hear any noise.
              Most the time it just dosn't want to turn on at all for more then a second. Until its "warmed up".

the caps I have not yet replaced are:
              Capxon brand:
              680 uF 25v GL 105 DEG C C713 Vent (2 of them)
              47 uF 50V GL 105 DEG C C712 Vent (1 of them)
              150uf 450V could not read other numbers Glued to circuit Board (really big cap)

I used the Letters DEG but actally shows the Degree Symbol on the caps
              Also noticed 7 others, they look totally different
              they look very small blue Hard disc's.. No writing on them at all
              almost look like M&M candy but 1/4 the size of the candy

Would like Part numbers from Digi-Key and any input is welcome too.
              I have pictures if needed. I can E-mail them.
              Resedaguy818@aol.com
              680 uF 25v GL 105 DEG C C713 Vent (2 of them) P10277-ND @$.72 each

47 uF 50V GL 105 DEG C C712 Vent (1 of them) P10321-ND @ $.28 each

Double check the physical sizes before ordering!!!

Don't worry about the 150 uF 450 V cap, it isn't subject to the same stresses as the lower voltage ones.

The smaller disk caps are a different technology. When they fail (in particular those on the inverter output) the result is very obvious.

Now a couple of points: If you order from Digikey and use their First Class Mail shipping option, the caps will cost about the same as the postage. Without an ESR meter it is impossible to be sure all caps are good. It makes sense to replace ALL caps at the same time if they are a known bad brand.

Rather than offering to email pictures, use the handy 'Manage Attachments' feature (under Additional Options) to attach them to your post.

PlainBill
              Last edited by PlainBill; 08-06-2009, 05:17 AM.
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                yup, you have capxon, the hands-down #1 killer crapacitor found in displays. get rid of those.

i would try mouser.com instead of digi-key. the site seemed to be better.
                Bad advice 'dude. Mouser's low cost shipping option is UPS ground at about $7.00 vs Digikey's First Class Mail at about $2.00. For parts costing under $2.00 the difference is significant.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                  Bad advice 'dude. Mouser's low cost shipping option is UPS ground at about $7.00 vs Digikey's First Class Mail at about $2.00. For parts costing under $2.00 the difference is significant.

PlainBill
                  I agree. Digikey is better, taking into account the cost. Especially if you are ordering for only one unit.
                  There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

yeah but the site sucks. pain in the ass to search for things.
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess it depends on the person doing the searching, and how much you value your time. It took less than 5 minutes to come up with those two part numbers. $5.00 for 5 minutes - yeah, I'll work for $60 an hour.

PlainBill

Comment

Darn internet!!

PlainBill

Comment

Never had a problem using it.
                          I guess it depends more on the human part than on the search engine they use .....
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                            Never had a problem using it.
                            I guess it depends more on the human part than on the search engine they use .....
                            Yeah. I've noticed quite a few of my computer problems are due to the unit between the chair and the keyboard.

PlainBill

Comment

Just ordered all of the suggested parts (even the ones that aren't known to be faulty). I've never done this crap before, but I'm not a complete moron, so I'll pick up a soldering iron this weekend and give it a shot.

Any tips on a soldering iron purchase for someone who hasn't used one since Electronics courses 15 years ago? (links to products appreciated)

This makes me want to take apart my $800 dell monitor (ouch it still hurts to admit I paid that even 3.5 years after paying that) and check the parts they used on it.

Bad Samsung - hope they didn't use this crap on my LED DLP tv.

Comment

I ordered the other 3 caps today. I should have ordered all 6 at once, would have saved me about $5 in shiping, and a few days time. I really hope this fixes my 226 monitor! I'll keep you guys posted.

KicktotheJunk, I'm no expert but took electronics courses about 20 years ago, and do soldering on cars when mice chew through the wires. (It happens a lot) I would reccomend a 30 Watt Iron. Wouldn't go much higher or you will be overkill on heat.
                                You can pick one up for about $10 bucks from Radio Shack or Sears. Remember to get both the wire and the circuit board hot, so the solder sticks to both.
                                Last edited by bloodpuddle; 08-06-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                  Yeah. I've noticed quite a few of my computer problems are due to the unit between the chair and the keyboard.

PlainBill
                                  yes i know a am a dumbass, but searching there usually give me more crap that i was looking for. must just be me.
                                  sigpic

Comment

yes i know a am a dumbass, but searching there usually give me more crap that i was looking for. must just be me.
                                    I was not meaning that.
                                    When I said that it depends more on the human part I was referring that even if the results for digikey are good, they may be not what you want (either too much or too few results, more or less info that you actually need, not in the layout you want, etc.). Here is when the human part (taste, preferences, name it the way you want) kicks in. That's more or less what I tried to say before....
                                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Yes, Digikey does return a lot of hits. Tricks to reduce the number of hits include selecting 'in stock', and specifying the voltage, the type (general purpose), the mounting type (through hole), and the manufacturer. You can even restrict it to one series if you wish. I seldom get more than half a dozen choices.

PlainBill

Comment

Digikey is amazing. I ordered my stuff Thurs eve and Sat. morning, sitting on my doorstep. -

I got the new caps soldered into place, powers up, but same problem still exists. I've replaced all the caps mentioned in this thread:

2x 680's
                                        2x 820's
                                        1x 330
                                        1x 47
                                        (sorry don't know the keystroke for micro 'u')

The only CapXon cap that I didn't replace was the giant fatty lying down on it's side glued to the board.

Any other suggestions of what I can replace? Or, is there a chance my soldering wasn't up to snuff? When soldering, I made it look like the manufacturer's work the best I could, getting wire hot and filling the hole with solder - running a little up the leg a little, then snipping the leg off.

Ugh.
                                        Last edited by KickToTheJunk; 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM. Reason: adding to post

Comment

Posting an image of my board after the operation (unsuccessful)

See the attached picture.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X