Looking for a good substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good substitute

My HP board has two failed caps near the cpu socket. They are rubycon 6.3v 1800uf MCZ should I replace the two failed ones with the same brand/type or replace all 7 with a something else?

If only replacing the two that failed does the brand matter or just the specs?

Re: Looking for a good substitute

What has caused the MCZ caps to fail? Please list other capacitors on your board. You should also open up your power supply to look for bulged caps in there. MCZ should not ordinarily fail and they probably failed because other lesser caps on the motherboard or in the PSU have failed and placed more ripple on them.

MCZ can be replaced with Nichicon HM or other Rubycon MCZ which the owner of this site sells. The owner also carries Samxon GC which is another suitable replacement for MCZ.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I have not disassembled the system yet but I just found a post from another user that has a identical board.
      Here.
      If you at the board the two that failed are right next to the P6 connector.
      There are 7 of the rubycon's and 4 others as you see in the pic that I cannot make out the writing.
      On my board the four are yellow and half the height of the rubycon's.
      I will pull the PSU this weekend to check if any caps have failed inside.

Comment

You see those two brown caps to the left of the black memory slot? Anything like those will also have to be replaced.

The yellow ones are Fujitsu Bumblebees and the blue ones you see in this picture are Sanyo OSCONS. According to PCBONEZ, the yellow ones are superior to the blue ones.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          You see those two brown caps to the left of the black memory slot? Anything like those will also have to be replaced.

The yellow ones are Fujitsu Bumblebees and the blue ones you see in this picture are Sanyo OSCONS. According to PCBONEZ, the yellow ones are superior to the blue ones.
          If you don't mind me asking, why do those have to be replaced? On my board they are blue Teapo 1500uf 6.3v

Comment

in the pic above, they're Nippon Chemicon KZG, which can't stand heat and fail without bloating.

same thing goes for teapos..

Comment

For the vented rubycons, I'd use these caps. 820uF polys are a good substitute for 1500uF and 1800uF electrolytics on the VRM. The other Chemi-con KZG caps look like either 1500uF or 1800uF. The links are to appropriate replacments. The 1500uF caps in the link would also be fine to replace the el-cheapo teapos
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Don't replace the OSCONs and the Fujistsus. Those are very good caps. The brown ones that have the letters KZG or KZE should get replaced. Generally Nippon Chemicon, the company that makes them, produce very reliable capacitors, but that particular series sucks wind.

So, decent motherboard quality caps from Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic etc. should be good. Check back to make sure they are acceptable for that application.

You can also do a poly mod, (which is what C hegge suggested). Polymer capacitors, also know as solid state capacitors, are much more reliable and heat tolerant. Due to their nature, when replacing the capacitors on the CPU, you use the rule of thumb to use 1/2 the capacitance of a standard electrolytic.

So if a capacitor used on the CPU is 1600uF, you would use a solid polymer capacitor valued at ~800uF.

Comment

KZE should not be replaced.
                  If you don't mind me asking, why do those have to be replaced? On my board they are blue Teapo 1500uf 6.3v
                  I think there's a bit of miscommunication here. Those 4 blue ones near your CPU... They say Teapo on them!? If so, please list the series, and someone will post a suitable suggestion.

Comment

KZE uses the same advanced electrolyte as KZG which would in turn...make them bad.

Comment

No, KZE does not share electrolyte with KZG. KZJ shares with KZG. KZE are the same spec and as reliable as Panasonic FM.

Comment

Oh...I'm mistaken...I searched Chemicon KZE Advanced Electrolyte and I opened a datasheet I thought was for KZE, but it was infact for KZG and I somehow didn't notice.

You are correct, of course. =P

Comment

OK guys I think I'm confused, so lets back up a bit if you please.
                          here is what my board looks like, same revision as well.

As I said before the only two that are leaking are the two next to the P6 socket just to the left of the two yellow caps.
                          they are rubycon 6.3v 1800uf MCZ seven total.
                          I don't know what the yellow ones are or even if they should be replaced but they say 2.5v 820uf adnd as you can see there are four of those
                          The two by the black memory slot say Teapo 1500uf 6.3v and the one larger one by the P in P4SD says rubycon 6.3v 3300uf mbz. The three back by the parallel port say teapo 16v 1200uf.

I understand that poly caps would be better in place of the 7 rubycon 6.3v 1800uf MCZ.
                          here are my questions
                          1. If replacing the 1800uf rubycons do I also replace the yellow ones as well and with what.

2. other than the two teapo's next to the black memory slot should any others be replaced.
                          The system will power on and boot, the problem is the CPU fan will slow down until it stops then the system will shut off. I have tested the fan and it works fine if 12v is applied. If you need me to identify any other caps let me know.

Comment

Caps circled red (Assumimg they are 1500uF, 16v)
                            Caps circled blue
                            Caps circled yellow (Assuming they are 1500uF, 6.3v)

I'd probably replace the yellow ones by the CPU, since, I have known them to bloat and fail. All of the others should be fine.
                            Attached Files

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              Caps circled red (Assumimg they are 1500uF, 16v)
                              Caps circled blue
                              Caps circled yellow (Assuming they are 1500uF, 6.3v)

I'd probably replace the yellow ones by the CPU, since, I have known them to bloat and fail. All of the others should be fine.
                              Thanks for this info.
                              The ones circled in red are teapo 16v 1200uf would the ones you suggested still work.
                              Also everything circled in blue gets replaced with the same poly caps correct/ even though they have different values?

Comment

You've pictured a board worth saving with Rubycon and Panasonic in all the right places. Only a few caps are bad and should be replaced. My board 323091-001 is not worth saving and is only good for showing where the hot spots are.

12v: Teapo SM 1200uf 16v (qty 4)
                                Vcore: Sanyo OSCon 820uf 2.5v (qty 4), Rubycon MCZ 1800uf 6.3v (qty 7, bulged)
                                Memory: Nichicon HM 3300uf 6.3v (qty 1, bulged), Nichicon HM 1500uf 6.3v (qty 2)
                                Board: Teapo SC 1000uf 6.3v (qty 10, 4 bulged)
                                Small caps: G-Luxon, GSC, or worse
                                Attached Files
                                sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by v b chil-n View Post
                                  My HP board has two failed caps near the cpu socket.
                                  Is this motherboard by any chance from an HP D530 or DC5000 small form factor (SFF) computer? Reason I'm asking is because I refurbished about 30 of these about a month ago, all with the same P4SD motherboard. More than half of them had bulging/leaking capacitors. The caps used on those motherboards are a grab bag of Rubycon, Panasonic, Sanyo, Fujistu, United Chemicon, Teapo, and even Ost.

At first I thought there was a pattern to the bulged caps, but there isn't. Apparently, it seems that those HP SFF computers just run too hot and cook pretty much any and all of the caps thrown at them, regardless of what brand they are.

So, besides recapping, you should definitely improve the cooling in the case. Also, the custom PSUs in those SFF computers are sometimes littered with Ost caps. I saw at least a few with bulged Ost caps. Thus, also get the PSU checked out.
                                  As for the recap itself - if your motherboard is from a SFF HP, I'd suggest you replace all of the electrolytic capacitors (or at least as many as possible). The only ones you can leave alone are the yellow Fujitsu 820uF, 2.5v, the silver-with-blue-marks-on-top United Chemicon (PSA?), and the Sanyo Oscon.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 02-12-2011, 02:18 AM.

Comment

I have one of these. the two tall caps by the ddr slots and the row of 3 by the I/O need to go. teapo trash. the yellow caps are fujitsu polys. keep those.

this is the d530 board... minitower most likely.

(once recapped, these are nice boards. I use mine as a file server/web browser/folding box.
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

i replace all the vrm out caps with the 820 polys.
                                      that way all are the same.the polys already there are still ok but i want them all to match.and dump all the teapo.they are shot too even if not leaking.these systems like the dells are hard on any caps.the polys should last the rest of the systems useful life.

Comment

The ones circled in red are teapo 16v 1200uf would the ones you suggested still work?
                                        Yes. Generally, you can get away changing the capacitance slightly. Also, it looks like you have an extra unused cap spot there. If you like the idea of poly moding them, you could use four of these. It's a significant drop in capacitance but it works fine with polys.

Also everything circled in blue gets replaced with the same poly caps correct? even though they have different values?
                                        Yes. The yellow ones are actually polys. The reason for replacing them is because if they are different, you will be putting more load on some caps than others, so replacing them all is a good way of evenly distributing the load.
                                        Last edited by c_hegge; 02-12-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X