Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mag LT916s Model 900p 19" LCD dropping like flies

Yes is was a Small bit of solder You are spot on thank you.
    ^Learning to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace,

Comment

Originally posted by Nama
      Yes is was a Small bit of solder You are spot on thank you.
      I have a lighted magnifier I use to examine all solder work for errors. It tends to reduce embarrassing mistakes that would otherwise prove to be damaging.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

My screen comes on bright for 2 seconds just like everyone else, so I doubt it is my CCFL's but all my caps look perfectly fine. they are the crap ones so i guess iwill replace them anyway, im headed to the 'shack now. can someone please verify that the transistor on the bottom input IC board #13 which has 3 pins only the two outer pins are soldered to the board the middle one is cut, but the soldering job on the IC undernieth it does look like it was from the factory and done by a machine so this is probably suppose to be like this. part 1084-18ce 493c3

I have heard my caps could be bad even though they are not bulging and oozing... going up in voltage from 25v to 35v on the 470 µf caps is a bonus right? even if "going-out" CCFL's were pulling too much power?

Comment

Originally posted by chronJob
          My screen comes on bright for 2 seconds just like everyone else, so I doubt it is my CCFL's but all my caps look perfectly fine. they are the crap ones so i guess iwill replace them anyway, im headed to the 'shack now. can someone please verify that the transistor on the bottom input IC board #13 which has 3 pins only the two outer pins are soldered to the board the middle one is cut, but the soldering job on the IC undernieth it does look like it was from the factory and done by a machine so this is probably suppose to be like this. part 1084-18ce 493c3

I have heard my caps could be bad even though they are not bulging and oozing... going up in voltage from 25v to 35v on the 470 µf caps is a bonus right? even if "going-out" CCFL's were pulling too much power?
          Welcome to Badcaps.net.
          Don't go to the Shack to buy caps. They are not suitable for this kind of applications. Also, the chip you are describing with just two pins soldered, must have the back of the IC (kind of heatsink) soldered. That is the same as the middle pin. A pic would help you to get the help you need more often than not.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

will these caps I got from radio shack at least get me up and running to make sure this is the problem. I am impatient, lol. any other type of store that would sell caps locally in a metropolitan area? I live in kansas city. picture is coming, let me get some more lighting and ill take one with my phone. thanx for the quick reply

Comment

will these caps I got from radio shack at least get me up and running to make sure this is the problem. I am impatient, lol. any other type of store that would sell caps locally in a metropolitan area? I live in kansas city. picture is coming, let me get some more lighting and ill take one with my phone. thanx for the quick reply
              I guess as a test material, they MAY BE used. If the specs differ a lot from the originals, I can't tell if they will last or if the unit will work as intented, but as a test to see if only the caps are your problem, I guess you can use them. As for parts, order from Digikey.com if you post the info on your caps, in no time someone will tell you what replacement parts you should buy.
              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

My caps look ok...?

this looks odd though, but looks almost factory... ?

Comment

BTW the radio shack brand are XICON the match the 470uf rating, and are 35v instead of 25v. it doesnt give a temperature rating but says ±20%

Comment

temprature rating says up to 85º C on the package, guess i should install a CPU fan on the back too. does tolerance have anything to do with its ESR rating?

Comment

I just noticed one other thing on the inverter board, in the center, grounded to the heat sync looks like a transistor, (3 prongs at the bottom) when i flip the board over the 3 connections look a little tarnished and not shiny like all of the other IC connections. ???I can post a pic of that too if you want?

Comment

My caps look ok...?
                        Yes but they can go without visual indication

this looks odd though, but looks almost factory... ?
                        It is OK. Center pin & back of IC are the same. If you look up teh datasheet for the IC using the numbers on it you will see what I mean.
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

these are the pics to the trnasistor... (i think the flat black thing with 3 progs at bottom,) on back of board the solder points are discolored where as all other are shiny

http://jason.dominatesthe.net/img/a1.jpg
                          http://jason.dominatesthe.net/img/a2.jpg

Comment

Great News!!!! It works!!!
                            None of my caps showed sign of excesive heat, bulging or oozing...
                            First I replaced the 6 470uF Fuhjyuu 25v caps with the radio shack Xicon 470uF 35v caps. And still only powered on for 2 seconds. So then I proceeded to replace the other Fuhjyuu caps (the 2 x 100uF and the 220uF) with 3 more Xicons, and now it runs perfectly. Thanks so much for the help, I had bought this monitor on craigs list with out testing it first and spent $50, im glad it wasn't a total loss, I ended up spending another $20 on caps and a soldering iron but it was worth it.

Comment

So then I proceeded to replace the other Fuhjyuu caps (the 2 x 100uF and the 220uF) with 3 more Xicons, and now it runs perfectly.
                              Those might be C10 & C11. They are on the inverter side.
                              Keep in mind that while your caps work they might not endure a long time because they are not the specs they should be. if it ever fails again, now you know what part(s) to blame.
                              Also, Fuhjyuu caps are a change-on-sight part in that applications.
                              It was fun and very didactic, and the feeling to bring back from the dead something is great, right?
                              "cheers:
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

hi folks,
                                I am just a newbie here.
                                Nice to find a forum like this since I have a MAG LCD.
                                Same problems, backlight ON for few minutes then blank.

Since browsing this page tells CAP issues, I replaced all but one 100uF 400V.
                                I checked and it run good for 5 hours. Now, After a day.. symptoms were the same again. Think I need also to replace the 100uF 400V cap. Hope it solves the issue.

Be happy if you have better suggestions and explanation why the thing happened.

Best regards to all!!

Comment

Originally posted by created2praise
                                  hi folks,
                                  I am just a newbie here.
                                  Nice to find a forum like this since I have a MAG LCD.
                                  Same problems, backlight ON for few minutes then blank.

Since browsing this page tells CAP issues, I replaced all but one 100uF 400V.
                                  I checked and it run good for 5 hours. Now, After a day.. symptoms were the same again. Think I need also to replace the 100uF 400V cap. Hope it solves the issue.

Be happy if you have better suggestions and explanation why the thing happened.

Best regards to all!!
                                  Unless the unit has been on a power surge situation, it rarely fails (regarding the 400v cap). What did you use as replacements?
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have used Robicon Caps as replacement which I bought at a local electronic shop. What do you mean power surge? Old 100uF 400V was of Xunda caps which I red was of bad quality.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have used Robicon Caps as replacement which I bought at a local electronic shop. What do you mean power surge? Old 100uF 400V was of Xunda caps which I red was of bad quality.
                                      Hope Robicon is Rubycon spelled incorrectly and not an actual brand.You forgot to give the series also.
                                      Power surge? like an electric storm... lights out, then back, and monitor is dead. You didn't say that, so I assume your unit is not in that case ...
                                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I'm not quite sure regarding the brand of CAP Robicon if its from Rubycon. It is not because of power surge. First symptom was the "2 seconds problem" that is why I chose to replace CAPS. Is it worth replacing the 400V? or is there any sorce of the problem that I need to check?

Comment

I'm not quite sure regarding the brand of CAP Robicon if its from Rubycon. It is not because of power surge. First symptom was the "2 seconds problem" that is why I chose to replace CAPS. Is it worth replacing the 400V? or is there any sorce of the problem that I need to check?
                                          Leave that big boy alone. POst a pic of both sides of your board to see if something is suspicious ....
                                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                          X