Dell inspiron 1525 New Battery not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell inspiron 1525 New Battery not charging

Hi guys, just replaced my old 6 cell batt. with a new 9 cell battery from ebay. The problem is, it doesn't charge. It's stuck on 56% plugged in not charging.
    Tried all the methods from uninstalling the microsoft acpi complaint control method battery driver from device manager, unplugging the AC adapter and batt. holding the start button to drain whatever there is to drain. My question is can a 65W Dell PA12 adapter charge a 90-95W battery? I have read somewhere that it is recommended to use a stronger AC adapter with 9-12cell battery's.
    Thanks

Re: Dell inspiron 1525 New Battery not charging

After searching I have found the cause for no battery charging could be:

- Broken Identification wire in AC adapter lead (Sense wire)
    - DC adapter plug center pin problem (bend or broken)
    - Motherboard DC jack contact problem
    - DC jack soldering loose on the motherboard
    - Dead UniqueWareâ„¢ Add-Only Memory (DS2501 etc)
    - Dead master / host controller chip on the motherboard
    There is no "off the shelf" replacement for a DS2501 UniqueWareâ„¢ Add-Only Memory. The read-only (EPROM) memories are programmed in the factory with the AC power adapter identifier. Afterwards memory *can* be permanently locked, with only the possibility to add information in unused memory space.
    Mine had a broken sense wire, so I cut the wire a couple of cm from both the adapter and Dc jack side, re-soldered everything back, checked for continuity and all seems good. Connected the adapter but still not charging. So there's 3 more things that could go wrong. Either it's the motherboard controller chip, the motherboard DC jack contact problem or DS2501 is fried.
    Hopefully it's not the mobo.

Comment

i am nearly sure that the problem is in the battery. cheapo ebay batteries tend to do that. nevertheless i am planning to get one as i killed the controller of my battery.

Well are you getting a message that adapter not recognised? If it had broken sense wire it should say that. This check can be disabled in bios in most older dell though; I am nearly sure you have to rma the battery

Comment

I get the message that the adapter is not recognized.
        Yes you can disable the message in BIOS, but the adapter must be recognized in BIOS otherwise it won't charge the battery. So first I need to fix that, then assume something might be wrong with the battery.
        I'm going to my friends house, he has a dell n5040 I'll try with his adapter.

Comment

yes most of dell adapters are interchangeable
          i have both 65w and 150w versions and two respectable laptops
          inspiron that normally wants 65w takes both adapters and charging speed is the same due to current regulation inside the controller
          xps that has 150w adapter originally is only charging with 150w adapter though.

Comment

Just tried my friends adapter which works fine on his laptop, and still it is not recognized in BIOS. Down to 2 things now, either the Dc jack, or motherboard controller?
            I guess that XPS is a more powerful machine, that's why it demands more power?
            I'll order a new DC jack, since the laptop has to be disassembled to solder the new jack I might as well check the charger IC.
            I do have a spare motherboard *faulty, doesn't power on* it might come in handy.

Comment

Moved to Laptop troubleshooting.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

yes, a next suspect would be a power jack. Dell jacks tend to get loose inside.

And yes xps is generally wannabe performace laptop with 17" screen, so thats why it has a more powerful adapter. I still don't get why it would not charge on 65w adapter, even at slow rate.. To sell more of 150w adapters i guess ;-)

Comment

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

Comment

The latest BIOS is A17, I'm running A16. It doesn't allow you to flash the BIOS if the battery is not charged 10% or more, mine is 5%.

Comment

if its standard dell bios type in command prompt

bosname.exe /forceit

and it sould fash even without battery... but for some models its not wotking...
                      Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Ok guys so this is what happened. Knowing the battery wont charge unless the adapter is recognized in BIOS i remembered there was a fix for the dc jack board (image below).
                        So I soldered a wire on pin 5, checked for shorts across the other pins and all looks good. Assembled everything back together, push the start button and nothing!!!
                        Now I was thinking it must be a wire that is loose, or something, well yes, forgot to plug in the cpu fan. Again I push the start button and nothing.
                        Well now I'm thinking this was a bad idea, however having some basic skills (learned here of course) I check the voltage reg. 3.3 & 5V OK, ECRST 3.3V with power button pressed no changes in voltage. Maybe BIOS-SIO chip fault? I pulled out the on-board battery, plugged in the ac adapter and it starts by itself. Strange?
                        Anyways to keep the story short, I cant have the on-board batt in, it just wont start with it?
                        The good news is the adapter is finally recognized in BIOS as 65W, and you guessed it now it charges the battery.
                        Thanks ala_borbe for the explanation, the batt. is charged 35% so it should be able to flash the BIOS now.
                        Also the wireless connections icon in win7 is gone, but wireless is working?
                        Not sure if I should be happy or mad?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 3d0; 01-22-2014, 02:25 PM. Reason: added image

Comment

Flashed the BIOS with A17, upon restart the power adapter not recognized message came again? Wireless connections icon is back?
                          The only way to start the laptop is by inserting the AC adapter, power button has no function.
                          I'll have to try the A16 ver. BIOS again, that is if it's possible to downgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by 3d0 View Post
                            Ok guys so this is what happened. Knowing the battery wont charge unless the adapter is recognized in BIOS i remembered there was a fix for the dc jack board (image below).
                            So I soldered a wire on pin 5, checked for shorts across the other pins and all looks good. Assembled everything back together, push the start button and nothing!!!
                            Now I was thinking it must be a wire that is loose, or something, well yes, forgot to plug in the cpu fan. Again I push the start button and nothing.
                            Well now I'm thinking this was a bad idea, however having some basic skills (learned here of course) I check the voltage reg. 3.3 & 5V OK, ECRST 3.3V with power button pressed no changes in voltage. Maybe BIOS-SIO chip fault? I pulled out the on-board battery, plugged in the ac adapter and it starts by itself. Strange?
                            Anyways to keep the story short, I cant have the on-board batt in, it just wont start with it?
                            The good news is the adapter is finally recognized in BIOS as 65W, and you guessed it now it charges the battery.
                            Thanks ala_borbe for the explanation, the batt. is charged 35% so it should be able to flash the BIOS now.
                            Also the wireless connections icon in win7 is gone, but wireless is working?
                            Not sure if I should be happy or mad?
                            if you can`t see the wifi and the net its working its from the bios or Bat bios.

i saw a dv6 like that, my PC does this( after power i have to restart it again and everything its ok, after the bat its charged its working fine)

i saw like 4 or 5 notebooks that did this the icons are missing Bios BAT or Bios corrupted i dont rly know
                            Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

With BIOS ver. A16 still it doesn't charge.
                              I took the laptop apart, soldered the 5th pin a little better and it works again.
                              No wireless connection icon solved with flashing the BIOS back to ver. A17
                              Power button problem not fixed yet!

Comment

Wow this too much for me i can't believed it
                                Thanks to you all who contribute to my problem it really worked well with pic

Comment

Thank you 3d0 it worked

Comment

Have you checked the back up battery if it is missing or low charge some laptops start as soon as adapter is pluged in.

Comment

Hi,

are there any updates on this? I have exactly the same issue with mine dell1525, and i have replaced the motherboard with the brand new one.

Comment

first try a different ac adapter, then you can either replace the daughterboard with the dc jack or try running the jumper wire as seen in the picture above. you've got to access the bios and see if the ac adapter is recognized. when you disassemble this model you have to be careful of that little ribbon cable going to the power button, it gets damages easily.

Comment

Working...
                                        X