X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2018 Operating System thread

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    Yup.

x32 is out, as she runs 16Gb of Registered DDR2. Not even a Page file RAM disk trick (how I make use of 8GB on my Gallatin rigs) will utilize all of it. Not a huge deal though, as windows 7 is good enough for what it does.
    Can you have a bigger RAM drive on 7? If not, I suggest XP x64!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I said: "I initially thought that when SMT came along. But, eventually realized it was just a new set of tools and skills."

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Not exactly.
      New stuff tends to be built like shit and not really made to be serviced. It's really mostly debugging software these days. Whenever there is a hardware problem, it's just easier (and often cheaper) to replace things rather than try to fix things on the hardware level.

So your new tools and skill set are pretty much limited to "rebooting" and/or "try powering it off and on again".
      I was referring to the change in assembly and design tools that came about when SMT was introduced.

For example:
      • hot air irons instead of traditional irons for thru-hole
      • component handling and PnP tools for really tiny parts (I don't need a stereoscope to do thru-hole!)
      • layout tools that more readily supported higher component/signal densities, components on both sides of boards
      • finer lead pitches and tighter DRC's
      • oddball packaging options (e.g., chip-on-chip)

You can still repair boards -- you just need different tools to manipulate the components.

[Assuming you can sort out what is happening in the circuit without documentation AND that the components involved are COTS devices]

The reason it isnt economical to repair boards is that the costs of labor have continued to climb whereas production costs have continued to fall. If you are willing to work for le$$ -- or, pay more for new products -- then the calculus changes.

I.e., most folks here place a low enough value on their "uncommitted" personal time that it "makes sense" (economically) to repair something instead of replacing. Their attitudes might change if they didn't have "uncommitted time" (i.e., were working long hours that ate into their "free" time -- easier to BUY a new whatever and spend the free time you have doing something you need or enjoy, more!)

Comment

Windows 10. I've always been a fan of Windows 7, but 8 didn't quite fit the bill. I got Windows 10 when I upgraded my computer, because some of the drivers didn't work on Windows 7.

Now I like it so much that I don't plan to change it anymore.

Comment

After all, I delete old Prefetch data with CCleaner daily when I shut down my PCs.
          But, you made a noob mistake! Don't clear the prefetch directory all the time, especially not every week, for gosh sakes! That will defeat the purpose of prefetch!

Windows XP is the other way around - it takes longer to get to the Login screen. But on a clean XP install, once the Login screen appears and the user logs in, there's hardly any HDD activity after that.
          That sounds like Windows 2000, LOL. Windows 2000 takes forever to get to the login screen, but login should be fast. (With Windows 2000, it seems to not matter, even if you have a fast single core processor!)

And Vista is a bad one, it also takes forever to get to the login screen, but on faster PCs, should login at an OK rate but can randomly hang (sit in one place for a while, possibly with zero HDD activity). Vista is even more likely to have ton of HDD activity even after login.....

7 on some PCs may randomly hang on login, (take a real long time, with possibly zero HDD activity) but shouldn't be forced to hard reboot.....
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-27-2018, 10:53 AM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
          X